Guns

mydesigner

BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!!!!!
I just turned 21 and am interested in getting a hand gun, and trying to decide what i want. mainly it will be for fun me and some friends go out to a farm and shoot our 22's. But if i had to i would want it to be big enough for self protection. I dont know much about them what are good brands what should i stay away from?

I don't have a recommendation on what to avoid, but I will tell you that the best handgun I ever had was a Ruger P89. Semi-auto 9mm, very nice. I recommend anything by Ruger, I once had a .270 rifle of thier's as well.

I always liked the colt .45 on the 1911 frame. It's a good caliber that has been around forever and is proven, and shoots pretty well. 9mm or .40 S&W are pretty good calibers too, and smaller and somewhat easier to shoot but still have some decent knockdown power. Personally i don't like sub-compact and compact frame pistols, because I find them harder to hold on to, but they are more low key since they are smaller. Hope this info helps some.

berreta, makes a good gun so does HK, glock, sig. you get what you pay for. the more you pay the better of a gun you get usually.

I carry a Beretta .40 Centurion most of the time. MY suggestion is, go to a shooting range (preferably at a gun store) and shoot a variety of weapons that you are interested in. Get one that fits your hand well, has a good feeling trigger, and is comfortable to hold. When you get your weapon, take a safety class and target practice a lot. Good luck, and happy shooting:)

colt or kimber or the like .45 1911. Try to find one that isn't wussified and chinsy w/ plastic everywhere.

for the price Ruger is the best gun out tthere... one draw back to the rugers are if your a small guy with smaller hands the gun will not feel right, when picking out a gun how it feels in your hand is prolly one of the more important things to look it, otherwise it will throw off your aim and effect how you deal with recoil. an other thing with the ruger is there triggers. they have a very high trigger pull. it take some work to make the trigger feel right. if your hands are big and your willing to get some work done on the trigger you will get a gun with a nearly indestructable frame and will be able to handle any type of custom load you can think of. that is their main selling point they have one of the tuffest guns out there. nothing can hurt them. balance is also ok for the guns too. for the price you cant beat them

i have owned 3 rugers and loved each one. the p89 was a bit big for me and my sp100 .38 was nice a good little starter gun with nice pep was nice to shoot. and my .44 super redhawk is a beast! i love that gun. once i got the trigger work done its a great gun to shoot i sold the other 2 just cause i wanted something else

S$W make great guns too. i have not shot there autos but my 686 .357 was a great out of the box gun the trigger is a lot nicer then the ruger. the frames are not as strong as the rugers but you gain a lot of refinment.

with the .357 you are able to shoot .38s so it makes the gun perdy versitle for protection. you can pick your kick so to speak.

as far as autos.. i love beretta. its all i will shoot now. they are pricey but damn near perfect. i have 3 of them (2 model 96s and a 98), i cnat get enuff of them. i dont like glocks for the simple fact that they have a poly frame. this effects second short accuracey and make them feel to me un balanced. i stay away from any poly framed gun.

one other great gun maker is CZ they are check made and have a great rep among shooter. they are a good price and shoot very well. look in to them if your on a budget

dont be scared of used guns either. most have not been shot as much as you would think. also police issue guns are perdy much brand new when you see them in retail shops they have beeh checked by the factory before they are sent to retailers

just my thought.. i ramble so sorry if its hard to read!

Dathan

I'm glad to see everyone has decent taste in handguns. All those listed are "good guns". Guns are like most other things...you get what you pay for. So don't go the cheap route on one. I like Glock, Colt, S&W, Kimber. Glock is still my pick when you consider cost, function, and accuracy. You can't go wrong with one. Calibers will be debated until the end of time. I say go with .45 acp. It has good stoping power and it's very common so the price is right for re-loading or target shooting.

Sig Saur's P226 9mm is nice, and so is the P220 .45. i love them both.

how hard are the 1911 colts to come by? i am looking to get one of those one days.. for some reason i have a thing for old guns, i guess they seem to have more craftsmenship to them. one day i am going to have a whole WWII arsonal in my house, M1 Garand, Springfield '03, Thompson SMG (yeah right, like i will be able to afford one of those), a BAR, Sherman Tank, P-51 Mustang..

-btw, www.1911.com dosent work for me...

Best bang for the buck...Ruger P89,low dollar ,reliable,and versatile. Save the high dollar guns for when you become more competent, but practice crisis situations(unloaded) with ONE weapon designated for home defense. 12 GA. works great for me at home!

For a hand gun my 2 favorite calibers are .45 and 10mm. I would really like to add a Glock 20 to my collection some day.

I had a Glock 21 but I sold it a while back and got a H&K USP in .45

The Glock 21 was a great pistol and allways preformed with no problems. The H&K seems to do all the Glock did but better, the gun feels very nice for a polymer frame pistol.

I'm going to suggest a good Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum revolver. The Smith is stone cold reliable, well made, and affordable. As an added benefit with the .357 you can shoot lower powered .38 specials in it for fun at the range and load full-house .357 Mags in it for defense. I recommend the 686 Combat Magnum model. Smith revolvers usually have fantastic trigger pulls and excellent sights right out of the box. In my opinion if you don't have much handgun shooting experience a revolver will be easier to shoot well and master than an automatic. Good luck whatever you decide. :)

Smith & Wesson

yeah

When it comes to revolvers I definitely have to agree with TRBON8R that smith & wesson is awesome. The .357 in particular. The .357 is powerful, and the .38special is absolutely the smoothest. The .38spl. is identical , just a shorter case w/less powder. I believe you can still get the heavy frame version with their revolvers if you wanted it, too.

I bought a SW99 9mm about a year ago when they first came out. If you have a samller hand, and want the (James Bond 007) gun , this is the one for you... Like said above, The only way to buy a gun that best fits you is to go handle/shoot them...

Good luck..
IMO the ruger's are to darn (top heavy)..;)
matt

heres my 686 distinguished combat magnum:)

Originally posted by TRBON8R
I'm going to suggest a good Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum revolver. The Smith is stone cold reliable, well made, and affordable. As an added benefit with the .357 you can shoot lower powered .38 specials in it for fun at the range and load full-house .357 Mags in it for defense. I recommend the 686 Combat Magnum model. Smith revolvers usually have fantastic trigger pulls and excellent sights right out of the box. In my opinion if you don't have much handgun shooting experience a revolver will be easier to shoot well and master than an automatic. Good luck whatever you decide. :)

Smith & Wesson
024305.jpg

Originally posted by FlyinGN
heres my 686 distinguished combat magnum:)

024305.jpg

Very nice! :D

Can I play too? Click on the "Guns" photo album. My 586 is in there. You can't get these babies anymore, only the 686 in stainless. I also have a picture of some heavier artillery. :)

Guns

i really miss my 686+ 7 shot .357 houge grip......... i am gunna buy it back from the guy. i loved that gone. the best out of the box revolver i have shot!

Dathan