Guess the sound win a beer, story time...

outatime86

Sooooo, went driving to the local exhaust shop installed dual 3" with flowmaster 10's, no cat. Sounds GREAT!
Problem....on the way home lower rad hose came off, didn't notice until it was too late, white smoke everywhere.
Water temp gauge showed good 180-185 so I never looked in the rear view mirror, then dash light for water temp
popped up and I looked in the rear view to see lots of white smoke. Pulled over, opened hood, sure enough the lower
rad hose came off lost all coolant. By the time I ran to the local gas stop n got 3 gallon of coolant, the temp gauge
shot up to its max 250, of course I poured coolant into the hot rad and had my 'ol faithful' moment, f'ing shot coolant
all over me n the engine bay....yay. My cork valve cover and oil pan gaskets got cooked and were leaking everywhere.
Changed exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, still need to do the oil pan gasket. Changed the oil n fliter
it got cooked as well n smelled like ceit. But the motors now making a ticking noise! Before I dig into it, wonder if
anyone has any guesses as to what it could be. Im preying just a bent pushrod and not a bad lifter or wiped lobe on the cam.
I already know the squeak is from coolant getting on the belt, Im not worried about that, ez change. Enjoy XDarkSidexX

When my 85 overheated on the freeway it warped the head or the block (I don't remember which) but it all ended with a new motor.

Before driving home I checked the oil and there was no water in it so I drove it home. Oil pressure was stable at 60. After changing the valve cover gasket and the exhaust gasket and the oil upon startup oil pressure was stable at 65 to 70 at idle.

Oil was cooked before changing it, it smelled like ceit. It now has fresh t4 15-45 rotella n new filter. After change n start up its solid at 60-70 at idel.

60-70 # @ idle?????
WTF is going on with that?
No clue your guess is better mine.

After gasket changes and letting the idle warm up the car to 180 it dips to 40-50. When I drove it around the a few miles here and there it would dip down to 20 but jump back up to 50 60 when stabbing the throttle.

I'd go old school and throw a quart of transmission fluid in it to see if cleans out a bit of
dirt in a lifter before its panic time.

Valve cover gaskets were smashed due to me over tightening. Cooked as in ruined, definitely got hot.

Preying it's a pushrod, but sounds like a bad lifter to me. I'll know after this weekend.

Merry xmas to me

I remember that similar sound when I bought my first GN. If your lucky it the belt tensioner making that clicking sound. Use a long screwdriver in different locations to locate the source. A new tensioner bearing solved my problem.

I remember that similar sound when I bought my first GN. If your lucky it the belt tensioner making that clicking sound. Use a long screwdriver in different locations to locate the source. A new tensioner bearing solved my problem.
Sometimes the belt stretches enough to allow the idler pulley to contact one of the A/C compressor mounting bolts.

Use the slightly shorter TTA sized belt.

Was finally able to get at it yesterday.

Pushrods were bent, only 4 were straight.

Don't think it was a collapsed lifter because all the rockers travels up and down equally.

Time to buy some pushrods, 8.850 length. Gonna call these guys, they seem to have a good pushrod set for a good price compared to others.
8.850 length, 3/8th OD with .80 IND, chromoly, heat treated.
PUSHROD, Single Piece Chromoly, 3/8" OD, .080" wall, length 8.850", 16 Each

The guess as to why is once the car overheated, the valves absorbed most of that heat and expanded thus forcing the rocker arm up and pushing against the pushrods bending them. The pushrods are the weakest link so they were the first to go.

The guess as to why is once the car overheated, the valves absorbed most of that heat and expanded thus forcing the rocker arm up and pushing against the pushrods bending them. The pushrods are the weakest link so they were the first to go.
Doubt that......