GS Nats and the old days, who has a story?

My most fond memory happened at the 99 Nats in Columbus. We were staying at Motel 6 in Reynoldsburg, just west of National trail raceway. Jack Cotton and his crew was all there, and a bunch of us other turbo regal guys. Johnny Hunkins wanted to do a photo shoot in the parking lot for GMHighTech. Jack and his crew cut a giant "V" out of cardboard, painted it red, and put on the motel sign so it read "Motel V6." I pulled my GN in front of the sign, and about 100 of us stood behind my car in front of the sign for the shoot. That was good times. When the GS nats issue came out, the pic didn't make it. I remember reading in the issue that Hunkins misplaced the film from the motel shoot. Very disappointing, but non the less, it was a blast. Lots of turbo regals and GS cars cruising up and down Brice Road.
Ten years ago, I would have insisted the Nats stay in BG. Now with the dwindling attendance, I'm not so sure it matters anymore. It was my favorite spot, but I'd be willing to drive a little farther if it meant bringing a lot more people back. Bowling Green is still a special place, though.

Awesosme thread...only in America! Life in general was more organic/authentic in those days, easier to enjoy compared to now.

Here is a link on v8buick showing a lot of old pictures, mainly before TRs came on scene: http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?96394-Does-Anyone-Remember

Lots of memories. First year for parents was 88 and mine was 90 when i was 8 years old. We didnt miss a show till 2003, and then back again this year for the first time since.

I have to post videos of the Autozone parking lot circa 2000 with it packed with locals and Mustangs and GNS and Buicks all over the area. I can remember BG police running around in 4 door lumina cop cars with 3100s and endless squealing rubber and burnouts all over town.

I can remember eating at Jerrys and seeing Lawrence Conley pull up with Tweaked and i thought it was Michael Jordan in the flesh. Still have his autograph on the t shirt from 93 or so, even though i cant wear it.

I can remember seeing tons of quick GNs with huge slicks on trailers while pulling into Beech Bend and trailered on the street. So intimidating to see those cars with huge rear slicks, i still get chills thinking about it today.

I can remember friend Shawn Stemple in his burgundy low 11sec T with slicks on it from the track leaving sidewise out of Autozone parking lot and looking like a deer in the headlights of an incoming telephone pole. Later that night we were next to his brother in law with his red 69 gs with a 455 running low 12s, this is in 98 with all the rain and some woman drunk plowed into him with an olds cierra. If you saw the pics it was totalled. Was scary sight to see that is for sure.

Numerous other fun blasts down there and before the day of texting and email the old man always would drive down in a Buick whether it was the GN or a TR we owned or a GS we had/have, was always something different and always fun. That was the fun part everyone drove their cars, trailers mainly were only used for Super 16 guys, for obvious reasons. I talk to majority of my GS buddies they had slicks in trunk bolted on at track then took back off and cruised on the street. Scottsdale road was always hoping with Mustangs from Nashville and strong mopar/chevy contingent locally from BG. The cops took a blind eye too. So many cars, where did they all go? A lot of the originals have passed or gone into other cars but the event is still fun and i hope we all can continue to support Buick events. Its partly the reason i volunteer as i have met so many great friends and had so much fun i dont want to lose this hobby.

Or else i dont know what i would have to do. Ill post some videos this week of the street racing and Autozone, and i got more footage im waiting for from people to create a self dedicated Buick channel for the old Buick events, footage/pics of past and present.

wow I so had forgotten that red gs that got trashed , it nearly made me sick to see that I believe i have pictures of it, sad day.

Here is a pict of my TTA from the '98 Nats.. This was one of the few hour blocks of time that it didnt rain..lol What a terrible week for racing that was. On a good note the car tied it best et 11.74@117 on this pass. I also have alot of great memories of BG in the mid/late 90s.. unfortunately '98 there isnt many of them:D TTA.jpg

I used to cruise my TTA around town during the GS nats back in those days. I was in college at the time in Bowling Green WKU.
Many street races and cruising with the dump pipe open and the T tops out. Lots of fun back then. Never the same after 99.

They had quite the setup, huh? It was a father and son. Bob Armstrong owns one of their cars now and I know at one point Clint Blackwell had the other. I dont know if he's still around or not.

They had a full time mechanic on staff and a whole fleet of cars. I sold them some parts and enjoyed talking to them. Seems like I remembered hearing their mechanic got killed. He had some neat stuff they had come up with.

I also sold some parts to one of the roadies for Lynyrd Skynyrd. I hoped to meet him when I moved out to Dallas but never got the chance.

Jay did they race NHRA superstock???

Kevin

Jay did they race NHRA superstock???

Kevin

When I talked to them, they were actually planning on running Pro Stock. Like I said before, I THINK their head mechanic was killed somehow and that really dampened their efforts. I know when I talked to the guy, he said they had so many cars in a big warehouse that he always had something to work on. They even had at least one GN stored in a climate controlled environment tent.

I also sold some parts to one of the roadies for Lynyrd Skynyrd. I hoped to meet him when I moved out to Dallas but never got the chance.

Jay,

Are you sure the roadie was from Lynyrd Skynyrd? I met a roadie who worked for George Thorogood in the early 90's when I was in college and I helped out with concerts in Hamilton, Ontario and this roadie was a TR owner, he owned an 85 TR. I remember speaking about the GSCA and the Nats with him and he had reservations at one of the hotels that year, but he couldn't attend the Nats due to George's tour schedule.

Maybe the same guy you are thinking of, maybe somebody different?

Take care,

Jay,

Are you sure the roadie was from Lynyrd Skynyrd? I met a roadie who worked for George Thorogood in the early 90's when I was in college and I helped out with concerts in Hamilton, Ontario and this roadie was a TR owner, he owned an 85 TR. I remember speaking about the GSCA and the Nats with him and he had reservations at one of the hotels that year, but he couldn't attend the Nats due to George's tour schedule.

Maybe the same guy you are thinking of, maybe somebody different?

Take care,

I am 100% sure because he told me to check the back of one of their albums for credits and sure enough, he was there.

Some of the Dallas people knew of the guy.. said he didnt really interact with the community.

My first Nats was back in the late 90's. I remember pulling into town, not quite time to check into hotel, so we rolled over to a bank to go through the drive thru ATM and get some cash. There were 3 GNs ahead of us in line. Multiple TRs at every stop light. I would say that 90% of the cars parked at Motel 6 were Buicks. It was just incredible. Heaven. Motel 6, Scottish Inn (there's nothing Scottish about the Scottish Inn! as Sandy would say), the Greenwood. If you didn't like what was going on in the parking lot at one of 'em, well then just stroll over to the next one, even if it was 1 am somebody would be outside. I miss those days! But glad I got to go when I did. Still got the videos Scott put together back in the mailing list days. Electra Jim trying to get his 225 into the 12's... I'll have to go look through my pics and see what I have, but here are some that I scanned a long time ago:

Attachments

• art-bg-1.jpg
    art-bg-1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 118
  • art-bg-2.jpg
    art-bg-2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 119
  • coin-op.jpg
    coin-op.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 124
  • burnout1.jpg
    burnout1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 131
  • blown_skyhawk.jpg
    blown_skyhawk.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 112
  • great_scat.jpg
    great_scat.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 120
  • id_smk_ya.jpg
    id_smk_ya.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 117
  • launch1.jpg
    launch1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 121
  • launch2.jpg
    launch2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 120
And here's a few more

Attachments

• racy_GS.jpg
    racy_GS.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Nailed.jpg
    Nailed.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Thumper Finals.jpg
    Thumper Finals.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Thumper1.jpg
    Thumper1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Thumper2.jpg
    Thumper2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 119
  • white-racing.jpg
    white-racing.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 108
I am 100% sure because he told me to check the back of one of their albums for credits and sure enough, he was there.

Some of the Dallas people knew of the guy.. said he didnt really interact with the community.
Wow, the Buicks have attracted roadies from both Lynyrd Skynyrd and George Thorogood!!! These cars are amazing!!

1989GSCANationals0014.jpg

I thought this cool . How many times do you see two GSX next to each other?

1989GSCANationals0013.jpg

No one else has pix?

I remember Thumper as an A Body. Am I wrong or did something happen to the original?

No, my friend liked the original Thumper so much he asked the owner if it would be okay if he used the name on his car as well and got his approval. It's an '83 (I think) with a 455. Not sure what (if anything) happened to the original Thumper.

John