GS National Mechanics that know valve spring installs

87GNALKY

I will be at the GS Nationals early Thursday morning 10-25-2019. I have all the tools. If you "KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING" with Comp Cam 280-12 valve spring installs and can perform the install in a reasonable ammount of time for me to test and tune, I need you there.. I have 24 keepers, valves, and the tool to compress the springs. PM me if you are ready to help me compete.This is a stock 109 block. Not trying to float valves or wipe cam lobes. Just want to have fun with our fellow GN folks. PM for info.

I will be at the GS Nationals early Thursday morning 10-25-2019. I have all the tools. If you "KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING" with Comp Cam 280-12 valve spring installs and can perform the install in a reasonable ammount of time for me to test and tune, I need you there.. I have 24 keepers, valves, and the tool to compress the springs. PM me if you are ready to help me compete.This is a stock 109 block. Not trying to float valves or wipe cam lobes. Just want to have fun with our fellow GN folks. PM for info.
WTF?? Sense of entitlement much? Narcissistic much? I, I, ME, I, ME, WANT. This isnt a, "Hey lets open a beer and get this done so I can race in 45 minutes" type thing, Its going to take several hours !!!

WTF?? Sense of entitlement much? Narcissistic much? I, I, ME, I, ME, WANT. This isnt a, "Hey lets open a beer and get this done so I can race in 45 minutes" type thing, Its going to take several hours !!!
Wow dude! "I" was just offering to pay "someone" $ to do a job! Some folks that are very good mechanics may be there and not actually be racing a car and want to earn some money working on the cars they love. Entitlement? Paying someone to be somewhere and earn money is ENTITLEMENT? Seriously dude? I know the job takes a few hours to do. There is no need to act like a 10 year old because someone offered to pay someone to do a valve spring job on a car. Grow up.

Heres the issue

Heres the issue

How the hell are we supposed to know that you were going to pay.....No mention of pay.

Heres the issue

Heres the issue

How the hell are we supposed to know that you were going to pay.....No mention of pay.
Well I guess unlike generation X or whatever they call themselves these days, I pay for everything I have and reward people for their skill sets with the $ they deserve for the work they do. Just like the other thread I posted about someone building me a bump box for pay. When I finally do break something, a HG maybe... I will be shipping the car to Steve V for a complete rebuild because that's how he earns a living. Maybe you could have asked how much I would be willing to pay for such a job? Instead of name calling someone you have never even spoken to. I have a local shop here that quoted me $400.00 labor and I supply the springs, keepers and gaskets. I would have been more than willing to pay a community member here $500.00 and I supply the tools and parts just to support the folks here that actually care about our cars. That could actually make a difference in them being able to afford to come or not due to cost. One day of work for a whole 3 or 4 days of GS fun. I am not your enemy. I support Turbo Bob's products Power logger, 2 step.. I support Eric's products TT chips ect. I also buy from Kirban's and Highway Stars. I am just a member here that does right by other folks here to keep our cars supported by the vendors and members.

Don't forget the valve seals. :)

And a bunch of towels, bright lighting, tray or box to put stuff in so it goes back the same way it came out.

Anyone, even a pro can have stuff fly or drop when doing that job.

Oh yeah, magnet on a stick helps too. ;)

Just my .02.

Don't forget the valve seals. :)

And a bunch of towels, bright lighting, tray or box to put stuff in so it goes back the same way it came out.

Anyone, even a pro can have stuff fly or drop when doing that job.

Oh yeah, magnet on a stick helps too. ;)

Just my .02.
Magnet on a stick. Check. Viton valve seals check (intake only on these cars unless modified). Case of blue shop towels to cover everything. Check. 4 foot magnetic LED light. Check. too many amazon 12 by 12 boxes. Check. BTW. not doing the valve job, just the springs. But I do have a supply of Viton seals for when I blow the HG and do the complete bore and rebuild.

Well I guess unlike generation X or whatever they call themselves these days, I pay for everything I have and reward people for their skill sets with the $ they deserve for the work they do. Just like the other thread I posted about someone building me a bump box for pay. When I finally do break something, a HG maybe... I will be shipping the car to Steve V for a complete rebuild because that's how he earns a living. Maybe you could have asked how much I would be willing to pay for such a job? Instead of name calling someone you have never even spoken to. I have a local shop here that quoted me $400.00 labor and I supply the springs, keepers and gaskets. I would have been more than willing to pay a community member here $500.00 and I supply the tools and parts just to support the folks here that actually care about our cars. That could actually make a difference in them being able to afford to come or not due to cost. One day of work for a whole 3 or 4 days of GS fun. I am not your enemy. I support Turbo Bob's products Power logger, 2 step.. I support Eric's products TT chips ect. I also buy from Kirban's and Highway Stars. I am just a member here that does right by other folks here to keep our cars supported by the vendors and members.
Or maybe you had the best intentions and worded the post wrong and .....

Either way GL with the car. Ill be at the nats and steve is a great guy if you do choose him.

LOL. OK then..whatever generation it is that thinks the world owes them something..
millennials lol,
I am glad you are willing to pay , you just never said anything about compensation and came off a little harsh ( demanding ) anyways you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar have fun at show I wish I could go :cry:

millennials lol,
I am glad you are willing to pay , you just never said anything about compensation and came off a little harsh ( demanding ) anyways you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar have fun at show I wish I could go :cry:
Thanks. Try and make the best out of re-seeding the golf course and hope to see you next year..

Which way you thinking of changing the springs (heads on of off) ?

either way I hope you will have the parts and tools on hand.

Be prepared for the “maybes”.

will help out any way I can.

Heads on I would guess, might need a compressor and spark plug socket with air fitting to hold the valves up, I never did the rope trick, I trust Sears more than myself. :p

Valve cover gaskets and some gasket seal etc., cleaning solvent etc.

HD rocker shafts or supports would be a plus as well.

Which way you thinking of changing the springs (heads on of off) ?

either way I hope you will have the parts and tools on hand.

Be prepared for the “maybes”.

will help out any way I can.
heads on. I will have a full set of tools + air compressor and 24 new keepers so we can only loose 23 into the engine.. Should do wonders for the cylinder walls may even try to throw some sand in there for good measure. ;) If no one here is game for doing the job, I will likely just have my local speed shop do it. I was really trying to give some of the members the chance to earn the $. I really appreciate the offer of the help man. My limiting factor is time. I will actually be working all the way up until I get a run at test and tune. Like I said I would be surprised if the car finishes a 1/4 in under 15 secs. Not there to make money, just there to gain knowledge and make contacts with people that can help me progress the car to be just a bit quicker. For pay of course. I guess I better stipulate "for pay" after every post now...

Heads on I would guess, might need a compressor and spark plug socket with air fitting to hold the valves up, I never did the rope trick, I trust Sears more than myself. :p

Valve cover gaskets and some gasket seal etc., cleaning solvent etc.

HD rocker shafts or supports would be a plus as well.
Yes I have the compression checking kit and an 8 gallon compressor so I will have at least 100# of pressure at the tool outlet for the compression hose.

Bring extra keepers, they can go flying. And mechanics rags to pack around the springs so keepers don't go down the oil drains in the head. Also some yellow nylon rope to cram in the spark plug hole when you bring the piston up to TDC to hold the valves closed (a dropped valve would ruin your day). And seriously, unhook the battery because a bump of the starter with rope in the hole could be bad. Once you get the #6 cylinder done, the rest is pretty easy, maybe 1.5 hours?

Bring extra keepers, they can go flying. And mechanics rags to pack around the springs so keepers don't go down the oil drains in the head. Also some yellow nylon rope to cram in the spark plug hole when you bring the piston up to TDC to hold the valves closed (a dropped valve would ruin your day). And seriously, unhook the battery because a bump of the starter with rope in the hole could be bad. Once you get the #6 cylinder done, the rest is pretty easy, maybe 1.5 hours?
Thanks John. Wouldn't a leak down kit and 100+ psi air compressor be a better way to lock the cylinder up? Ive heard of the rope trick but haven't seen it done. I do have 24 new keepers and new Viton seals as well as the Felpro gaskets. I think I may just have a local speed shop do the work if no members are available to earn some extra cash in BG.