Grinding!!!!

pawpz

got home from work today and was backing into my car port, had the wheel all way to the left my right hand on the shifter when something under the car started grinding! BAD!!!i could also feel it through the shifter!!!parked the car, jacked the front end up and didnt see anything wrong...started it back up pulled out and it got louder!?drove around the block and it ran find..backed in and the same thing????got to dark to jack it up again..where should i start???:confused:

Check your front rims for clearance at full turn.
Jack the car up enough that you can safely get under the front end, start the motor, turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, shut the motor off with the wheel still turned all the way, & look underneath. Then repeat.

Do you have aftermarket rims on? Also check your lugs. Make sure they are not loose. Also do what GaryWells said to do.

Did you raise the car yet and look underneath? Does the car grind when the car is backing out or driving forward in a straight line?

thanks guys

three backed out lug nuts!:eek: took to the shop to get them retightened and they put toilet paper around all the threads first? whatever..rechecked them the whole week and they still tight. but i will keep checking them. never hear of anyone puting toilet paper on first?

three backed out lug nuts!:eek: took to the shop to get them retightened and they put toilet paper around all the threads first? whatever..rechecked them the whole week and they still tight. but i will keep checking them. never hear of anyone puting toilet paper on first?
Something is seriously wrong if they put toilet paper in between the threads and the lug nuts. Are you sure that it wasn't white teflon tape?
In either case, sounds like you need either new lug nuts or the threaded studs pressed in, as it sounds like the threads might be stripped or becoming stripped.

Something is seriously wrong if they put toilet paper in between the threads and the lug nuts. Are you sure that it wasn't white teflon tape?
In either case, sounds like you need either new lug nuts or the threaded studs pressed in, as it sounds like the threads might be stripped or becoming stripped.

+1. definatly doesnt sound good. I would change out both just for insurance

when i took it, i changed the nuts to chrome for ten bucks.but yeah i dont not seem right and no it was not teflon tape. ill get on it right away!thanks guys

Back in the day I had firestone put new tires on my centerline champ 500 rims.They put standard lugs on instead of metric and rims came loose and one fell off.Most aftermarket lugs have size on the side of them.The gn lugs are 12mm x .1.50.