Greetings from Germany

buicktom61

Hello,

my name is Thomas and I live in Germany. I am a Buick Nut. My wife and I own 6 other Buicks from 1930 to 1996. Now I have bought an 86 GN from a guy near Dallas and I am totally new on Turbos.

The GN is now on the way to Germany.
I got some infos from the pre-owner about the rebuilding of the engine.
He used Diamond Pistons .030
Comp. Cam 212/212
New bearings
2 new rods and put all moveable parts new in
The heads were rebuild to, I believe , stock specification
I don't know, if there are other upgrades on the turbo, injectors, fuel pump or on the ECM chip. I am going to check this after its arrival.

I want to upgrade it for some more power, but it should be streetable. I am no racer, but like some extra power.

What are your recommondations about upgrades.

Happy Buicking

Thomas

Depending on the turbo, it sounds like a nice ride. You may not need to upgrade anything so wait until it gets there.

Thomas,
Welcome to the site. Get a complete list of what parts are on the car. Let us know if you have any questions.

Send beer!:D

Thanks for your answers. When the car is here, I will check what parts are in the car and list them.

Thomas

Where in Germany are you located? You can PM me if you don't want to say on the board.

Good luck with the car.

Bringing some American muscle to Germany. You will have a lot of people scratching their heads trying to figure out what you are driving. Awesome.

Can't wait to have it hear. Never saw one here in Germany before. The last GN and GNX I saw was on the Centenial Meeting in Flint, Michigan in 2003. Buicks 100. Anniversary.

Thomas

On the 12th. September I picked the Grand National up in Bremerhaven. After I checked all fluids and the tire pressure, I started back home. Will it bring me back home without any trouble? Yes it did! 250 miles in a car I don't on the Autobahn.
The ride back home was a great fun. Never thought it would be so fast. Unbelievable and impressive.
Most of the time I drove 75 mph, but sometimes when a Mercedes, Audi or BMW made me angry, I pushed it a little bit.
I won every time.

Today I checked what parts are in the car.

The Turbo is a Garret A/R .60 TB0348. Stock? Downpipe looks original 2.5"
Injector, pressur regulator and EGR look also original
Air Intake 3" with MAF 94202 and KN Cold Air 4"
Throttle Body original 2.5"
Chip TT 5.7 6889 28# Street 92 20°-18° 15 - 17 PSI

The torque Convertor doesn't look original. It is signed with D5 and the transmission has a shift kit in it. Shifts very fast.

What do you think about it. Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks
Thomas

1. Durchsicht 019.jpg
1. Durchsicht 019.jpg
1. Durchsicht 021.jpg
1. Durchsicht 019.jpg
1. Durchsicht 021.jpg

Nice find! Everything is stock except the air filter, chip, and torque converter. TT chip is a good one and burned for stock injectors. Torque converter is likely a re stalled stocker. All in all, a good safe reliable setup.

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

Thanks Dave. What do you mean with re stalled converter? I am new on GN.
The lowest fuel we have is 95. Does it make sense to use another chip for 95?

Thomas

Here is an update.
After I had a fun drive back home from Bremerhaven, I found out that the engine was loosing oil on the rear seal. When I put the new seal on the engine, I found out that the rebuild engine had a the 3rd main bearing totally worn. What happened on the rebuild engine? The engine rebuilder didn't flush the oil cooler and the oil pump. All the old debris went through the new bearings. Bad? I put the engine off and brought them to a local maschine shop. All bearings were refreshed withe new ones. At the time I was waiting for the engine, I bought some Upgrades. TE-61, G-Body SLIC, 60 lbs injectors, Walbro fuel pump, hot wire kit, new TT-chip, vacuum brake System, new front calipers, S10 rear brake upgrade kit and some stuff for the interior.
Now the engine is back in the car and running pretty well.
I am still waiting for better weather with no snow and ice. Looking forward to get the GN on the road!
How can I test how much stall my restalled D 5 converter has?

Greetings from Germany
Thomas

Last edited:
Hold the brake pedal as hard as you can with your left foot and press the gas until the rear tires begin to spin. That will give you an idea.

So, this car has passed TUV? Impressive if it did. When I lived in Germany I looked into bringing my car over, but I'm glad I didn't.

I'll be visiting Germany soon. Can't wait to get some autobahn time in. :)

Hi Chris,

I didn't try to pass it through the TUV until now. I will do next year, because it will be 30 year old in 2016. In 2016 it will get a license for historical cars. I hope it will make it easier.
Have fun on the Autobahn, but take care of you. There are more faster cars then yours.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

greetings from Velbert, just a couple of miles away. I got a 87 Regal last weeks. Didn't look for it. It just came in my live.
Best regards
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

where did you buy it? What type is it? When will you get it?
Best regards
Thomas