Grand National LQ9 Turbo Build

87chrisss

BLUBYU
Just documenting my build im on the finishing stages but ill post pictures from the start. Help out any wandering minds on any doubts they might have this is my 4th LS turbo swap so i feel comfortable at every angle.

To start off with:
1986 GN
Ford 9" 3:50 gear
TRZ RACK
TH400 With Rossler billet internals RMVB
PTC 9.5 Dusty custom converter
Custom Cam Motion Turbo Cam my specs
LQ9 Stock Crank Eagle Rods DSS Forged Pistons
317s Race Ported with SS valves dual springs etc.
Custom S480 From Forced Inductions Billet High Pressure Wheels With a V1 Race Cover
RJC Megacooler IC
JGS Precision WG
JGS Precision BOV
MagnaFuel 4303
1300 CC Injectors E85
Custom NVU Dash
PSI Harness
I'll post some pictures step by step on what i did.

gn.JPG

firewall.JPG

engine bay.JPG

rack n pinion.JPG

Hooker Header with crossover not the biggest fan of these but i had them on the shelf so i used them to try em out

hookers.JPG

Holley EFI intake came in i painted in and got the fuel rails mocked up

intake.JPG

Motor almost done at this point just waiting on the heads, to slap it in.

motor.JPG

Heads came in from machine shop race port SS valves springs all the goodies had them milled 0.010 for the LS9 MLS Gaskets,
Headstuds

headport1.JPG

headport2.JPG

headport1.JPG
ssvalves.JPG

Ported my intake out real well,

port1.JPG

Motor assembled,
Water pump is an ls7 water pump expensive but very light weight! i used GTO spacing for the most room possible the balancer is a stock new GTO balancer i used ICT billet alternator bracket, and a factory camaro tensioner on WP which ill show later
ICT coil brackets, injectors installed ready to go on. Crossover also installed

motor2.JPG

Morning slapped the motor in i had already welded my motor mounts the day before. Used Metal Tek guys for solid mounts and adjustable front to back slots so i can move the motor around if need be. See pics i also sat the motor as low as possible.

motor3.JPG

motor5.JPG

motor4.JPG

Onto the next step tranny and converter installed i used factory crossmember with H&R 400 mount driveshaft loop and driveshaft installed.

trans2.JPG

trans1.JPG

reartrans.JPG

rear.JPG

At this point i installed my wheel wells back on the car after i refurbished them, just to see what i can do with the turbo headers and flange.. see pics headers on next then crossover..

wheel wells 1.JPG

headers1.JPG

headers2.JPG

The Crossover was a pain in the ass, i had to massage the passenger side a little i also had to drill and weld the driver side oxygen sensor between body and transmission it was tight fit but made it work!

crossover.JPG

crossover2.JPG

At this point i installed the thinnest radiator and fan combo possible and for me its the fbody setup. I also removed my whole dash and rat ball of wiring these cars have i even removed the factory fuse blockso much junk wires i want to make my own custom fuse box. So since dash was out i ran the PSI harness thru factory harness location and placed it on top of the motor. I bought a dirty dingo ecm mount and hung on the firewall ac delete plate with a fuse block next to it as well. see pics.

I then made a 90 degree pipe with the flange just presented on the motor it to see how i could sit this monster turbo since its ridiculous huge.

interio1.JPG

ecu.JPG

interio1.JPG

ecu.JPG

ecu2.JPG

interior 2.JPG

t6flange.JPG

turbo1.JPG

made my own SS T6 header to flange with WG provision and WG dump tube and was forced to trim the passenger side well to close the hood properly. Also highlighted where i rmade the provision for the passenger side oxygen sensor right next to waterpump tight fit.

headerflange1.JPG

headerflange2.JPG

oxygensensor2.jpg

IMG_9182.JPG

wgdump.JPG

wgdump3.JPG

Now the Turbo is mounted ordered some SS 5" pipe for Downpipe waiting on that,

My cold side will be 4" so i needed to make as much room as possible for the cold side and BOV etc,, radiator pipes custom made with SS and silicone couplers.

enginepic3.JPG

engine pic.JPG

enginepic2.JPG

Great job. Any estimates or breakdown on swap costs? Is that a stock GM computer? I've been contemplating a swap if my non-numbers matching .040 over v6 ever gives up the ghost. I've got a friend willing to sell me a complete 5.3 silverado with a bad frame.

Great job. Any estimates or breakdown on swap costs? Is that a stock GM computer? I've been contemplating a swap if my non-numbers matching .040 over v6 ever gives up the ghost. I've got a friend willing to sell me a complete 5.3 silverado with a bad frame.

Not that expensive, it really depends on what parts you want to throw at it. Yes stock GM computer.
The 6 liters are usually on the higher side of price and they are harder to find.
The 5.3s and 4.8s are everywhere you can get a decent 5.3 at your local junk yard for 700+- you can do rods and pistons if you want to feel better about life but its not necessary for anything under 800hp . The stock crank holds a lot of power its 6 bolt main so they hold. I myself, made 800 hp on a stock bottom end 4.8 twin turbo setup.

Sloppy mechanics wiki page has a lot of info for budget minded racers. He literally shows you how to make 700-1k hp with close to nothing. Good luck!

Made a Carbon Fiber radio delete plare with switch panel and boost/transbrake pulse box

carbonfiberpanel.jpg

carbonfiberpanel1.jpg

Installed a T6 billet oil return extended flange

billetextenderboostlab.jpg

Not that expensive, it really depends on what parts you want to throw at it. Yes stock GM computer.
The 6 liters are usually on the higher side of price and they are harder to find.
The 5.3s and 4.8s are everywhere you can get a decent 5.3 at your local junk yard for 700+- you can do rods and pistons if you want to feel better about life but its not necessary for anything under 800hp . The stock crank holds a lot of power its 6 bolt main so they hold. I myself, made 800 hp on a stock bottom end 4.8 twin turbo setup.

Sloppy mechanics wiki page has a lot of info for budget minded racers. He literally shows you how to make 700-1k hp with close to nothing. Good luck!

Thanks, keep the updates coming. I've read the sloppy mechanics pages and subscribed to his youtube channel, very good stuff. I could be happy with 800hp!

Very cool . What oil pan did you use ? I have the same DSS pistons . Great piston for the money . I also picked up the Sloppy Stage 2 cam .