Grand Cherokee Noise help please.

Sal Lubrano

1999 wj v8 Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front. When traveling 40 mph and faster when I let off the gas and coast there is a constant howling or whining noise which changes with the speed of the vechile. The slightest touch of the gas and it goes away completely until the jeep decels. If you put the jeep in neutral while coasting it does not go away. I am having a very hard time figuring out where it is coming from. It sound like a bearing but can not locate it. Here is the strange thing about it. Put the jeep up on stands and brought it up to speed. The noise is not there while coasting on jack stands. I can eliminate the transfer case and front axle since they were changed. Would like to say it is the rear wheel bearing sinve it can not be heard on the jack stands but I have never seen a wheel bearing which only made noise on deceleration, wheel bearings to me make a constant noise weather accelerating or decelerating. The jeep has rezzepa joints in the front and u-joints in the rear. I am guessing it could be either drive shaft, possibly rear wheel bearings or the rear axle pinion bearings. Would any of these cause my noise? There is also some vibration associated which is felt from the passenger seat and passenger rear. One more thing I have done is sit in the cargo area and put my ear right above the rear differential and the noise is barely heard. Is there a drive line specialty shop anywhere in NY or NJ who can find my problem. I have no problem doing the work myself but very frustrated because I cant find the problem. hate throwing money at parts which do not need to be changed. If anyone has any idea let me know. Need to get this repaired. Thank you.

Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case? Not sure what jeep uses but my np246 rubbed a hole in itself and leaked all its fluid out. Aluminum pump and magnesium case don't mix well.
Just a thought.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app