Got myself a GN

dirtymax731

Well finally got myself a nice car and figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Matt and I'm in Nor Cal. Picked up an 87 Gn with 59k miles on it almost all original except for a Kenny bell intake and a thrasher chip. Has a newer fuel pump and came with a hot wire kit that needs to be installed still. Plans for it are to mildly mod it but keep it as stock appearing as possible. Gonna get a scan master soon but as far as gauges go I don't really want to clutter the interior. Thinking about getting the double pod that goes in front of the shifter. What 2 gauges would you guys suggest? It does need a headlamp as the outside passanger looks burnt on the inside and the brights don't work on it, if anyone has one feel free to send me a pm. Anyway great forum here and I got a lot to learn still about these cars.

ebegygub.jpg

za2yzuny.jpg
myry4ete.jpg

7e5a3ysa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That is a beautiful GN!! Great mileage to boot. Have fun an keep it going!!!I It was one year ago yesterday that I was able to purchase the awesome car that I used to drool over as a high school kid!!!

Nice purchase! You may want to purchase a more modern chip, some of the older chips had too much timing. The scan master is an excellent first upgrade. Make sure you seeing very little knock.

Thanks guys, been pretty happy with it so far. The boost is addictive ha. can't wait to go to the track to see what it'll run once I get a new TT tune and my scanmaster. :cool:

Very Nice! I also agree with the 2pod gauge under radio. That's what I did too!

Congrats on your ride!

The two gauges in front of the shifter Oil and water temp. Put a boost gauge on the pillar.

Nice car Matt, and welcome to the dark side!

Well I finally got some time and installed a scan master and the TT chip but now I realize I have some issues. I'm getting knock around 3/4 throttle maybe a little more but it's not into it enough for the scanmaster to record. While scrolling through I noticed my tps is off, it's at .48 so I need to adjust that and at idle the blm are 128 but when driving are more around 120. Is thus what's causing the knock or do I have another issue?

I also noticed the car has a iadjustable wastegate so I've been trying to turn the boost down but idk what it's at because of no boost gauge. The factory Guage gauge into the red so idk.

Well I finally got some time and installed a scan master and the TT chip but now I realize I have some issues. I'm getting knock around 3/4 throttle maybe a little more but it's not into it enough for the scanmaster to record. While scrolling through I noticed my tps is off, it's at .48 so I need to adjust that and at idle the blm are 128 but when driving are more around 120. Is thus what's causing the knock or do I have another issue?

I also noticed the car has a iadjustable wastegate so I've been trying to turn the boost down but idk what it's at because of no boost gauge. The factory Guage gauge into the red so idk.

As you have probably read...factory boost gauges can be way off. My first investment into the Turbo Buick world was a Autometer boost gauge (unfortunately, I bought only a 25 psi gauge), my second investment was a Scanmaster. I was running 18 psi with an adjustable wastegate and a TT 93 chip. I too had a little knock. You need to reduce boost, or stay out of the throttle. Just yesterday, I put together my own Methanol injextion together from this website (http://www.turbomirage.com/water-alcohol-injection-installation-instructions.html). I am amazed how much this has brought the Buick alive! I absolutely zero knock now and feel like I have added 50 horsepower! I should have done this sooner. It also amazes me how cheap and easy it was to install. I have around $150.00 in the whole thing.

I would recommend that the boost gauge you put on your pillar reads vacuum as well. It will help with diagnosing any future problems you may get, hopefully you get none, but as well all know, these cars a very nit picky.

Yea planning boost with vac. I have been staying out of it. I think th r boost is set too high because the car runs great until it gets in that high boost above 3/4 throttle but I won't be for sure until I get a gauge. Scanmaster was definitely a good investment which is why I choose it first.

I see alky in my future soon but plan on a exhaust, wheels and some suspension rebuilding first.

You see knock, but not on the SM. So, I assume you are hearing it. If it's loud enuf to hear, I'd suggest:
1.Find out why the SM isn't picking it up.
2. Fix the issue, B4 you drive over the crank. [IE: lengthen the w/g rod to lower boost]
3. Install the hot wire kit B4 you beat on it any more.
4. Check to be sure fuel psi is rising w/ boost. 1:1.

No chuck, it shows on the scanmaster that's how I know. So that's working fine. I forgot to add that I upgraded to a racetronix hot wire kit and the car has a walrobo pump. I do need to check fp, the car has a 237 regulator not an adjustable.
I'll update my signature as soon as I get on a computer