got fuel issues

85_Daphne

They call me Cowyboy...
Put a new oem replacement fuel pump in the car 2 weeks ago. Went in a parade for the town I live in last night afterwards turned the car off for a bit, went to start it back up and it sputtered then died and wouldn't restart. Checked the pressure at the rail and it says 20 psi give or take. What are the odds its the pump? Or could it just be a bad filter since I have fuel pressure just not enough. My car has 61k miles is an 85 is bone stock and never raced. Any thoughts would be great. Thank you.

Adjustable pressure regulator or stocker? Its possible the feed line off the pump (in the tank) might be leaking. Does the fuel pressure build and hold, when you key on, or bleed offf right away?

Did you replace the rubber hose that goes between the pump and outlet line? I'd almost bet it's got a hole in it.

update, i put on a new pump as well as a new filter and relay, just to be sure. and still nothing. the pump primes and i get fuel at the rail but now pressure. i did no notice any leaks but i will certainly double check. and the fuel pressure reg. is the stock one, but it will be getting replaced tonight. if this doesn't work the only thing i can think is either a bad line or the pump isn't getting enough juice.....

Are you using the stock pulsator or a piece of fuel injection hose to connect the pump to the sender? Did you verify that the feed and return lines didn't get crossed??

Im using the stock pulsator. should I have used a hose? And all the lines are correct.

There's a good chance that pulsator is leaking fuel thus not holding pressure in the lines. A piece of hose would definately be better. If you have a digital volt meter, test for voltage at the pump connector. Do you hear the pump prime when you key on? Has the car started since it sputtered out on you?

Last night I could hear the pump prime. I will redrop the tank tonight and put that hose in. And I can call ya after I get off at 5 and pick your brain.