got bored...built some stuff

slimtastic

yea dude...I rock
this is a stock buick manifold that i modified for an external gate. its running a tial 44 out to a screamer pipe.
qyakua.jpg

30agmxt.jpg

when i bought the car it had a pte front mount...but the pipes than came with it were way to close to the radiator in my opinion. plus the fact that now that i was going external WG, the "over clocked" turbo and first inital bend for the outlet of the turbo was not needed, so i cut and modified both intercooler pipes to hug the motor close.
igkpjc.jpg

inwuph.jpg

also, the pte piping was not going to allow the 4" inlet for my ta-66 clear.. so i pulled a "bob ross" and curved the pipe to clear stuff
2wn1aua.jpg

29aqgkk.jpg

Nice work. Adding the wastegate inlet tube to the stock header is a real pain to get the pieces cut and hole made is very time consuming. (at least for me, anyway) Keep it up.

Nice work. Adding the wastegate inlet tube to the stock header is a real pain to get the pieces cut and hole made is very time consuming. (at least for me, anyway) Keep it up.

yea it took a bit of time to build the WG tube and have it fit smoothly. i just dont like how most external WG's are usually a harsh 90 degrees off the main pipe, seems to me that it would cause a rise in back pressure.... not to mention trouble in holding a constant boost pressure.

I need to get a gate mounted like that, too bad you're not near here......

Bob

I need to get a gate mounted like that, too bad you're not near here......

Bob

im part of a small fabrication shop. if you really wanted an identical external WG for yours, its fully possible for me to duplicate this and send it to you :wink:

Nice work.. The two turbo V8 builds I'm working on now are giving me plenty of pratice.. One day I hope to weld that nice.

Question... on the hot side of the turbo theres the wheel hole and the wastegate hole. Does the downpipe just enclose both holes or did you have to do something else. Pretty much can you send me a picture of the finished product because I do like how you did it.

If using an external waste gate you block the hole in the exducer housing and the external waste gate is where the extra exhaust pressure goes.

Question... on the hot side of the turbo theres the wheel hole and the wastegate hole. Does the downpipe just enclose both holes or did you have to do something else. Pretty much can you send me a picture of the finished product because I do like how you did it.
for the internal gate i just bought a rjc internal gate block off plate and installed it between te turbo and my downpipe. the tial v-44 is the only functional wastegate in my system now and does a great job controlling low boost on big turbos

im part of a small fabrication shop. if you really wanted an identical external WG for yours, its fully possible for me to duplicate this and send it to you :wink:
haha is this still possible 7 years later? sorry i was researching external wastegates and came accross this...