Got a Kryptonite lock?

Buick From Hell

sixey
Staff member
I just copied this from the boating BB I frequent, thought it would be of interest here:
-------------------------------

Apparently, the Kryptonite lock - popular security products for everything from bikes to tools...to even boats (!) is able to be unlocked with a standard 10¢ BIC pen.

All you need to do to compromise the security of the lock is to is pop off the end of the pen and wedge it into the lock cylinder. A few twists of the pen, and the lock will open.

This includes ANY lock with the standard seven-pin tubular tumbler mechanism was heretofore marketed as unpickable.

I have a few of these locks and use a cable lock version run through the wheel of the boat trailer and around the frame for extra security.

I gather many other BABCer's use these types of locks as well to secure their belongings...
Watch the Video of the Lock being opened!

It's kind of ironic in a way that the lock that will stand up to bolt cutters, hammers, chisels, hacksaws, etc. can be "hacked" with a cheap plastic pen that you probably carry in your pocket!

In any case, Kryptonite is offering free upgrades to their locks. You register online with them and they will send a UPS call tag to collect your locks and they will replace the cylinder and return it to you. It takes about a month to get this service done...so plan ahead!

I didn't believe this until I went to the Kryptonite Web Site to confirm this story...

There is a notice on Kryptonite's home page regarding the situation.

Kryptonite Lock

:eek:

its kinda screwed up

not only does this info getting out alert people with these locks about it but it also lets thieves know about it

I happen to have some of their locks myself

then again so do drink machines, some payphones etc etc

not to bust your nuts but this is pretty old news it was all over television about 6 months ago,

kryptonite offers a free replacement or modification for all of their locks with the problem

Originally posted by Pablo
not to bust your nuts but this is pretty old news it was all over television about 6 months ago,

My nuts are fine! :D

And--I watch a LOT of news, and this is the first I'VE heard of it! I'm just more proof that nobody knows everything!
;)