Good-Guys auto cross run

Mike, nice job representing! I couldn't tell in the video but what size rims/tires are you running? What was your overall experience and what changes do you think would make your car better at this?

Thanks!! Right now it's got the stock 15x7 GN wheels with 235/60 BFG Radial TA tires. Those tires are horrible for autocross, I had run the TAs in the front and my Nitto DRs in the back but Good Guys has a 200 tread wear minimum. The main things I need/want to do to improve the handling more is first the tires. I've got some new BFG Rivals coming, they are not even available yet but I bought a set in a lower profile 15" size that will work. Those are supposed to bridge the gap between street tires and R compounds, so we shall see. I realize at some point I need to go to 17-18" wheels, but I like to see how far I can get on stock stuff and keep it slightly sleeper. I've only got the DSE shocks and springs also, as money permits I will be doing the sway bars and front and rear control arms as well. I've already noticed with the better handling the brakes are starting to show that they can't keep up. Down the road I will most likely go to a big Baer kit or something which will force me to upgrade wheels too.

Mike,
How about a set of GTA wheels and a good set of sticky tires? Maybe install B-car spindles with 1LE Camaro rotors and Hotchkis tubular upper control arms and rear disks you will be good to go for cheap and it twill look pretty stock.
Conrad

Hey Conrad, that is not a bad idea and I have kicked if around a bit. I have the BFG Rivals for autocrossing now and what a huge difference they made! I've been to 4 SCCA events with them and taken one first place and three seconds place finishes...so not too bad! I'm going to the Good Guys Autox again on Sunday so I can see what kind of time improvements I can see there as well!

Mike,
You must be one hell of a good driver! Sounds like you have done a lot with a very little! Congrats!! Looking at Rivals for 16" GTA wheels, I see only size 225-50-16. Pretty small for what you want to do but may be worth a shot. FWIW, at the Run Through The Hills event in Kodak, TN (near Gatlinburg) last month, all the serious contenders were on Rivals. The sweet spot on tire selection for Rivals see ms to be 18" diameter wheels. That is where you need to be long-term.
Conrad

I've noticed the trend in 18's as well, so you are right about that!! I've got my eye on a set and basically waiting for funds to line up and I will get those with a new set of Rivals for sure. I just ran at the Good Guys auto cross today and finished 8th out of 25-30 cars in the late model class. I was very pleased with that finish! I am putting up a video in the autocross section shortly.