Going Megasquirt

Pretty sure truck coils with the cooling fins are best

Though this was thought to be true a long time back a lot of guys have had problems with them including myself with them going bad in LS applications. As far as MS applications I would stay away from them as well since there was some testing done and it was found they have the highest ECM signal feedback of the LS coil family. I use the non heat sync coils on just about everything with no problems.

,Dan

Im thinking of going mega squirt with a ms3pro. Is there anything i need to know. Does it work with stock ignition system? Stock cam and crank sensors? I will probably go with LS coils eventually.

Thanks

Hey Dan, not sure if you are still active on the forum or not but if you are I am currently installing an MS2 in my 86GN and would love some help. Thanks!

Im thinking of going mega squirt with a ms3pro. Is there anything i need to know. Does it work with stock ignition system? Stock cam and crank sensors? I will probably go with LS coils eventually.

Thanks

Yes everything works on a stock GN engine. I'm actually using the MS3-Pro module as the core of my new plug and play ECU for GNs.

At PRI the MS rep told us that they had bought the remaining stock of ECM to wire harness connectors and were developing a plug and play MS system for turbo buicks. The factory harness will plug into their ecu.

Helping my friend tune his 1991 GT turbo with MS2 plug n play. Take a little learning but kinda fun working with it.

At PRI the MS rep told us that they had bought the remaining stock of ECM to wire harness connectors and were developing a plug and play MS system for turbo buicks. The factory harness will plug into their ecu.

Which MS rep? Matt at DIYAutotune?

Cruz Performance is now a dealer, I will be working with him on getting them out there.

Thanks Dan and others, you have provided some really valuable information on the use of MS engine control in the Buick Turbo Engine in this chain.
I have a project for upgrading the carbed turbo engine of the '81 Regal Sport Coupe to a sfi and direct ingnition system and use the MS3 Engine Control Unit for it. Since I use a timing cover (1988 FWD) with a gerotor oil pump with Buick’s original cam and crank Hall sensors I would like to know the following:

FWD '88 Cam sensor is a magnet type with three wire Hall sensor and crank sensor same as in turbo engine ('84-87). According to the book (1992 shop manual) these originally have a 10V input voltage from the Ingnition Module. The '88 crank sensor also has two reluctor wheels, the inner with three narrow slots and the outer with 18 teeth. Can the MS3 utilize these reluctor wheels and sensor so that control can be made sequential on cylinder-specific ignition coils (i.e. LS coils)? Is there a need for additional buffer/amplifier?

The engine becomes otherwise exotic, I use a '88 cylinder heads and intake manifold, although the cylinder bank line of the '88 FWD engine is a bit different, they can be fitted to an older engine. They have shorter and more direct intake and exhaust runners and do not have heat crossover ducts. I also get utilized from donor motor roller lifters and the intake manifold seems to be well flowing. The camshaft for the older model needs to be cut and modified at the front to fit the FWD manifold, no HP camshafts are available for the newer model. Exhaust manifolds also need to be custom made because exhaust ports are deeper in the cylinder hards, closer to the exhaust valves.

There are many things to do here, but I do this out of interest and because a suitable donor engine happens to be available. The most acute issue now is that related to MS3 and cam and crank sensors. I would appreciate it if I could get a comment on this from you experts.

Thanks,
Pauli

With the loss of pics, if some could repost schematics and msq for initial start......would be awesome
crank, cam, knock, and factory ign and coils circuits

With the loss of pics, if some could repost schematics and msq for initial start......would be awesome
crank, cam, knock, and factory ign and coils circuits

These are the tunes that Daniel Jost posted way back. I used them as a base. 1 tune for CNP and 1 for DIS
The only thing that confused me was the firing order of 654321

Attachments

• CNP Files.zip
    401.2 KB · Views: 150
  • DIS Files.zip
    353.4 KB · Views: 149
have a dead 86 T-type sitting in the yard.. haven't messed with it in years but i wasn't able to get it running very well back then, now it won't even start. wanted to try MS, really happy to find this thread. I was considering MS2 but after reading Dan's comments maybe MS3 is worth the extra money. Who knows, that reply was years ago, I need to find some current info to see if this still holds..

have a dead 86 T-type sitting in the yard.. haven't messed with it in years but i wasn't able to get it running very well back then, now it won't even start. wanted to try MS, really happy to find this thread. I was considering MS2 but after reading Dan's comments maybe MS3 is worth the extra money. Who knows, that reply was years ago, I need to find some current info to see if this still holds..
Check out turbotweaks GNECU. It is a re-packaged MS3pro that plugs right into a Buick. I have on in my T-type and HIGHLY recommend.

I'm just trying to get it running right now. won't be trying to max out power. the stock MAP sensor is good for 21psi I believe, and i won't be going over that.
the MS2 has an appealing price point but not if it takes months to get running.

I'm just trying to get it running right now. won't be trying to max out power. the stock MAP sensor is good for 21psi I believe, and i won't be going over that.
the MS2 has an appealing price point but not if it takes months to get running.
Figure out why it dosent run before changing anything you will save yourself a bunch of butt hurt later on, like if it is a wiring issue cause mice chewed through it or water leaked into something etc.

Figure out why it dosent run before changing anything you will save yourself a bunch of butt hurt later on, like if it is a wiring issue cause mice chewed through it or water leaked into something etc.
yes, very good idea to get it running first. today i pulled the intake and tested the injectors, only 1 of 6 clicked, the others were locked solid with old gas. Berryman Chemtool got all of them clicking but the patterns are crap, and change from random streams to decent atomizing and back to streams.
need to clean them more before anything else.
I'm sure there's much more wrong besides the injectors but I'll take it step by step, probably check for spark and injector pulse with the stock ECM and go hunting if 1 or both is missing.