Going Megasquirt

Hey Daniel, i am new around here but wanted to ask a few questions or maybe the people that already have there megesquirt setup and running can also point me the right direction. I used your base map from your guide to megasquirt so far everything is working but i do have one problem. It keeps telling me that i cannot use full sequential injection this is the error message i keep getting "cannot run sequential without knowing engine phase (e.g. a cam sensor)" i have looked up and down and my last resort is to ask here and i do apologize if its a newb question or something that i missed. Also i should add that i tried to switch from full to semi sequential and the error message went away and was able to start the car but its running on 3cyl so i immediately shut off the car. I am not sure if there is a difference between V3 to a V3.57 the car is pretty much stock and the map i tried was your DISGas map.

Yes you can not run the car on fully sequential if you have not input a cam sensor signal. I believe when I was running the DIS tune I was not running fully sequential, just batch fire. As I was just using the crank sensor and the DIS will control the spark to the correct cylinder when the car was running. Try just setting the car in batch fire mode using the MS3x fuel outputs as I would expect you are using the MS3x fuel outputs right now. If you have a cam sensor input we will have to do some more trouble shooting. Can you please upload your current tune so I can look at it to make sure what settings you are using, I have a bad memory of how I had that tune setup.

,Dan

OK sounds good, Its my mistake then i just assumed you can run full sequential. I will upload my current tune let me know what else needs attention again thanks for the help.

Robert.

Attachments

• testgnx.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 169
Wow I am glad you did not try running that tune, All the tables only went to 100 KPA so you would have seen an extremely lean condition as soon as you got into boost. Here is the corrected tune I modified, I set it for batch fire which you can set for alternating or simultaneously which ever fits your needs more. I also put in a more accurate Timing, Commanded AFR, and VE table in the tune. The VE table will probably need to be changed quite a bit as I am running a fairly modded LC2 and alcohol injection, but it is setup for boost fueling.

,Dan

Attachments

• testgnx_Corrected_Fueling_AFR_VE_TIMING_Tables.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 152
Ok l will give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. Again thanks for the life line greatly appreciate the input and il keep you posted if all goes well.

Robert

Hey guys I just wanted to chime in here and remind everyone that I have the whole MS3x swap stuff documented with information from both Bob and myself out there already. I have been getting a lot of PM's about information on the system and install lately, and I thought that I had it posted on here already. If you have a good running tune and would like to share please post it up in the thread for others to reference or use as a "Base Tune". If you do put up a tune please try to include engine information to help other decide what might be closest to their setup.

I am not much help for a good base tune anymore as I have been taking advantage of all MS3x has to offer and now have a PWM IAC and LSx Ignition as well as a custom harness to control and input tons of stuff.

The thread is called "The Official ms3/x build thread!" and you can find it in a search if the link below does no work.
http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/the-official-ms3-x-build-thread.354674/#post-2841115

Thank You, Dan

Is there any interest on me doing a writeup and possibly a video on setting up and wiring a Bluetooth module in any megasquirt? I have a bunch of the TTL to Bluetooth converters ordered that will be here in a while. I could easily flash them to what ever someone wants and then send it out. I have several friends here that want bluetooth so I ordered some TTL to Bluetooth converters as well as the little USB to Bluetooth Dongles.

,Dan

You should do a Youtube video,and a write up with links to it, also put it up on MSextra.com. I think there would be alot of interest.

I bought a MS2 kit for my Turbo V6 project - this thread is very inspiring :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I see you are odd fire, what are you using for a crank sensor?

I'm not sure yet. I'll have to understand how the TACH signal works for a TBI and how a SBC crank trigger could be adapted. I've seen someone somewhere on the net using a Holley crank sensor with a Buick oddfire. I also see that Holley sells "blank" trigger wheels that can be machined for non SBC cranks. But these are for V8 engines, and because I have not studied how these operate yet, not sure if it's relevant.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Obviously, Mega Squirt has a special ignition strategy like the XFI if you are using that crank trigger. If that's the case, why not stick with a stock setup? It is very dependable and noise resisitant

Obviously, Mega Squirt has a special ignition strategy like the XFI if you are using that crank trigger. If that's the case, why not stick with a stock setup? It is very dependable and noise resisitant

I'm not sure what Megasquirt will do with the TACH signal - even if I don't use Megasquirt to control my firing. Thinking, if Megasquirt uses TACH signal for RPM calculation, will it work ok with the oddfire uneven firing spacing? That's to be determined. If it works ok - if Megasquirt uses a rolling average of time between firing events, for instance, then I suppose there would not be any issue. Averaging the time between the sparks on an odd engine should equal the even engine time and the right RPM. But it's all hypothetical. I need to read. If it does not work OK, then I'll need the crank trigger.

As for the ignition, I'll use a standard GM HEI with a self-contained ESC computer that came with turbo from the 1979/1980 era. These use a knock sensor.

Last edited:
As for the ignition, I'll use a standard GM HEI with a self-contained ESC computer that came with turbo from the 1979/1980 era. These use a knock sensor.

I am not familiar with this setup and would be interested in learning more. Do you have more information? I will caution you, if it is one of those setups that uses an evenfire cap and a long tab for the rotor, you will have issues. Which computer controls the timing and how?

Last edited:
This is the schematics of the ESC used for early turbocharged V6 Buick :

ESC.jpg

To use this with the oddfire engine, I'm assuming the only change is to use the oddfire reluctor, not the evenfire one.

This is what the actual ESC setup looks like (maybe not identical to above, but same principle):

ESC_actual.jpg

I'm guessing my Megasquirt install on the oddfire V6 would be three phases:

1) Megasquirt, normally aspirated TBI, OEM oddfire HEI
2) Megasquirt, normally aspirated TBI, ESC oddfire HEI
3) Megasquirt, Turbo TBI, ESC oddfire HEI

I'm guessing I should be starting a thread on the Turbo oddfire TBI topic, it's a thesis in itself :)