Going Megasquirt

Based on my experience with traction control, that won't work very well. Gary Harmon's TSL car get's around one wheel rotation in the 60' where the traction control is most needed. Since they launch softer, the DR cars do get a little more front wheel speed, but nothing that is consistant enough to calculate off of. I personally would consider using another method than comparing wheel speeds.
What if front wheel speed was ignored for a time during the launch and only driveshaft acceleration rate was looked at? Then once a certain front wheel speed was seen, then it would convert to front wheel speed vs. rear wheel speed, or driveshaft speed?

If we're going to continue this TC line of thought, how 'bout we move it to the TC thread?

Kick ass thread!!! I am really excited to see you have this running, and now another member has stepped in and got his working too!

Have you sorked out the particulars on setting the MS3 up for the stock set up? I assume you're using the stock cam sensor for timing control?

I'd love to start doing this on my GN I just got. I have built and tuned a couple turbo fords with MS before, and would really like to try it on my Buick too. I really enjoy putting the MS boxes together too, can't wait to see if this is doable for my car!!

This is completely usable on a stock setup, the stock cam sensor is only scene by the MS if you are using Seq. inj. otherwhise with bank to bank it only uses a simulated output from the ign. module.

,Dan

This is completely usable on a stock setup, the stock cam sensor is only scene by the MS if you are using Seq. inj. otherwhise with bank to bank it only uses a simulated output from the ign. module.

,Dan

Great to hear!

By chance did you detail the specifics you had to do to the MS to work with the Buick electronics? I know from my experience with them that there's about 1000 different ways to configure the hardware and software both. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on mine, but admittedly, i'm waiting to see if you post up some of those specifics. The neat part is a guy like me would be willing to reimburse your efforts to get some of that info! :biggrin:

Disney im not out here trying to make money off of people on the board, more than anything just to better my own car and give away information to help others thats what this board is all about hopefully sometime it will come back to me. Though right now it is very hard for me to communicate online because i dont have it at my house im renting out in BFE and Caterpillar probably wouldnt appreciate spending all my time surfing boards at work ;). So all i have right now is free Wifi food places! lol Ill try to keep in touch im working on getting it completed and proving design before releasing information to make sure everything is correct.

,Dan

I totally undcerstand. I just graduated in 2009, so I am still familiar with the pains of school. That was when I did all of my MS building.

I guess I can go ahead and get the MS3 and the junkyard ECU for the interface and get started on some of this stuff. I'm really excited to dump the chip/scanner/translater/MAF set up for something I am more familiar with!!!

I doubt it as it's hard to get closed minded Buick guys to try something different from what everyone else does.

I wouldn't say that. When the XFI came out we had a waiting list. I have seen lots of Buicks wiith the BS3, Gen7 and even Electromotive.
It is hard to mess with success, when I have seen several FAST ecu's for sale this week for as cheap as $250

ms3

I wouldn't say that. When the XFI came out we had a waiting list. I have seen lots of Buicks wiith the BS3, Gen7 and even Electromotive.
It is hard to mess with success, when I have seen several FAST ecu's for sale this week for as cheap as $250

The classic fast was a prelude to the xfi. Just a transition period to something better. I've never seen an xfi go for $250.00 lol I wouldn't want an old fast if there is no support for it from the manufacture.

Which is exactly my point. The "close minded Buick guys" are buying the system for the support NOT because they are "close minded". I think it's insulting to them to make such a generalization.
FWIW: I have a car in my possession right now with an MTI setup on it. This customer was very "open minded" and is now paying for it.
Since I have very little experience w/ megasquirt I am not judging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms3

Which is exactly my point. The "close minded Buick guys" are buying the system for the support NOT because they are "close minded". I think it's insulting to them to make such a generalization.
FWIW: I have a car in my possession right now with an MTI setup on it. This customer was very "open minded" and is now paying for it.
Since I have very little experience w/ megasquirt I am not judging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that however if everyone was closed minded to FAST and never wanted anything but a chip what's the difference? There are many people who have had good results with the ms stuff in other vehicle applications. I can tell you this. The method those kits are put together has a lot to do with it. I repaired an expensive Dell laptop for a friend recently and the smt as well as wave soldering was horrible. If someone who is skilled put together a ms system I'm sure it would work fine. If an impatient novice did it I'm sure it would have issues. As goes with anything electronic. I'm sure the quality in the manufacturing process is much better for a $2,000.00 device vs a $200.00 device however nothing is full proof.

mega

I didn`t mean to start anything.
I`m currently getting a turbo miata together .It will have a Mega Squirt runnin it.
However ,it is a Plug n Play so the vendor has it built for a 94-95 specifically,mines a 95.You tune it off a base map so its not as bad as from zero.It has most every option any good standalone offers.
It would be nice if the vendor would consider doing one for the buick guys.
The cost is $595 ,hard to beat .

ecm

I didn`t mean to start anything.
I`m currently getting a turbo miata together .It will have a Mega Squirt runnin it.
However ,it is a Plug n Play so the vendor has it built for a 94-95 specifically,mines a 95.You tune it off a base map so its not as bad as from zero.It has most every option any good standalone offers.
It would be nice if the vendor would consider doing one for the buick guys.
The cost is $595 ,hard to beat .

You didn't start anything. Your thread is introducing something affordable to the guys that aren't loaded. Keep us updated.

Gread thread, i am looking forward to the information, whatever it may be, to help others along. I have looking into changing the GN ECM to something else, MS is very viable option, especially considering all the options one could add to it. My Other wagon is a TBI car with a custom ECM, allowing for boost, noitrous, WB, self VE learn, etc. I love it. But if the MS would allow you to use the SFI injector scheme, that is for me.

One question though, I have already upgraded my module and crank sensor to the "fast start", can this be used with the MS?

Dan, I also purchased a Megasquirt 3 kit just before the holidays as a winter project. I got the kit built in a day and took another day to interface it with a junk yard ECM to use as the connector board. I also installed peak and hold injector drivers on the cut up ECM. I'm running the MS3 in full sequential mode, two MAP sensors, cam sensor and knock circuit.

Getting the startup and acceleration enrichments close to correct took a little time due to the 75pph injectors. I am also snow bound, and cold, so I have not had a chance to drive the car on the street yet. The engine starts in 25 degree weather just as well as a stocker. From all indications it seems like the MS3 will manage the engine just fine.

I plan to wire up the COP outputs later this year.

Any updates on yours? I'm interested as to how you set up your cam sensor and coils.

Same here as Blackturbocar guys sorry, snow on the ground, today it was 50 out and i was itching for the snow to leave so i can get to tuning! Me and Black have been in contact VIA Email and are both excited to get to it, and are looking forward to getting our turbobuicks up on another ECM option! Thats Cheap! I have something like $450 in my system right now with MS3X. I will be going to individual coil ignition, and SFI when i get it up and running.

,Dan