Going Megasquirt

I love the fact of no longer needing a MAF, I know someone who will be selling their MAF translator, MAF, and modded 87' ECM that has the powerlogger in it! ;)

,Dan

Here is a quick picture off my phone of the rats nest i have going on just for some quick testing, the car is at my parents house and its not a heated garage.

,Dan

Attachments

• MS3 in GN.jpg
    MS3 in GN.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,300
very very cool!

I'd love to see it when the weather gets better.

This maybe a good route for hybrid setup too....

If you ever come down closer to the IL border for a car show or something let me know....

I actually will be living in Peoria, IL for a while and we go to cordova a couple times a year, so i will be up that way a couple times. Do you go there at all?

MSII V3.0 with MSII Extra 2.1

what was the pricing un-assembled

and whats the price if you assemble it :smile::smile:

Im not sure that using MSII with Extra 2.1 would leave enough outputs for all the control you would need. Im using MS3 with MS3x because it leaves me more than enough inputs and ouputs for control, along with the ability to use individual coils and sequential fuel. I would recommend using the latest MS3 w/X for all the control you will ever need and the fact that its only like 180 more than MSII v3.0. Also take into account that using 2.1 can be very risky when micro soldering in the jumper wires to the CPU. Also at this time im very busy and will not have the time for atleast another year to start assembling these for others, though i will support someone if they decide they would like to try this themselves.

Thanks, Dan

very informative!! besides not using a MAF what other advantages are you expecting with this unit?

The benefits that i will see vs the stock ECM will include;

-No MAF
-Wideband A/F Correction during normal driving
-more tunability
-On the fly; tune switching (3 tunes), and ECM flashing
-Electronic Boost Control
-2 Step and 3 step
-Individual Coil Ignition (when i wire for it)
-Ability to control Fuelab digital fuel pump for output control
-Automatic VE table correction, using WB02
-Ability to use GM flex fuel sensor
-Lean Cruise
-Calc MPG guage, LOL
-EGT input for datalogging and high EGT protection like de-rating, lower boost/timing
-Alcohol Control
-Nitrous Control
-about 12 extra Output control for just about anything
-About 6 extra input controls for anything
-Ability to go from high to Low Z Injector with no ECM mods, just a tune recalibration
-Ability to run 12 injectors, for example bringing 6 in under boost.

This is just to name the ones i could think of quick off the top of my head.

,Dan

Is there traction control? If so, can you elaborate on how it operates?

BTW, Fantastic DIY thread!!

Traction Control is still metered through your right foot, I've never really needed much more.

,Dan

I understand Don, im not sure if they have a way of traction control yet id have to look in my tune file (on the GF's computer now) to see if i can set it up. Im sure if you could put on a front and rear wheel speed sensor you could set it for turning on a limiter if there is a wheel speed differential over X amount.

,Dan

MegaSquirt 3 too

Dan, I also purchased a Megasquirt 3 kit just before the holidays as a winter project. I got the kit built in a day and took another day to interface it with a junk yard ECM to use as the connector board. I also installed peak and hold injector drivers on the cut up ECM. I'm running the MS3 in full sequential mode, two MAP sensors, cam sensor and knock circuit.

Getting the startup and acceleration enrichments close to correct took a little time due to the 75pph injectors. I am also snow bound, and cold, so I have not had a chance to drive the car on the street yet. The engine starts in 25 degree weather just as well as a stocker. From all indications it seems like the MS3 will manage the engine just fine.

I plan to wire up the COP outputs later this year.

Attachments

• MS# SFI 2.jpg
    MS# SFI 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 838
Im sure if you could put on a front and rear wheel speed sensor you could set it for turning on a limiter if there is a wheel speed differential over X amount.

That might work fine for street driving, but I am skeptical of how well it would work on a drag car that can pull the wheels. I suppose, having diferent size tires could be worked around.

Great! I have the cold start dialed in and i would say my car also starts as fast or faster than the stock ecm. Also i will be in contact with you im sure in the future about what you set the software cam sensor input to, to run SFI with the stock cam sensor. Also why 2 MAP sensors? are you running one for Baro instead of going to the Mapdaddy? Can you send me your MSQ to see how you went about it? Corvetteeaterv6@gmail.com

Thanks, Dan

Dan, I also purchased a Megasquirt 3 kit just before the holidays as a winter project. I got the kit built in a day and took another day to interface it with a junk yard ECM to use as the connector board. I also installed peak and hold injector drivers on the cut up ECM. I'm running the MS3 in full sequential mode, two MAP sensors, cam sensor and knock circuit.

Getting the startup and acceleration enrichments close to correct took a little time due to the 75pph injectors. I am also snow bound, and cold, so I have not had a chance to drive the car on the street yet. The engine starts in 25 degree weather just as well as a stocker. From all indications it seems like the MS3 will manage the engine just fine.

I plan to wire up the COP outputs later this year.

That might work fine for street driving, but I am skeptical of how well it would work on a drag car that can pull the wheels. I suppose, having diferent size tires could be worked around.
That would be something that can be programmed into the TC module or sub routine. Front wheels see so many pulses per revolution, rear wheels see so many pulses/rev during normal straight line driving.
Or, front wheel sees so many pulses/rev, driveshaft sees so many pulses/rev during normal straight line driving.
A timer can be programmed off the transbrake to ignore the first 1.xx seconds of the run.
Or, a certain acceptable amount of slip can be programmed for that same time period. That way, you could program in when in the run you want the front tires to touch back down.

A timer can be programmed off the transbrake to ignore the first 1.xx seconds of the run.
Or, a certain acceptable amount of slip can be programmed for that same time period. That way, you could program in when in the run you want the front tires to touch back down.

Based on my experience with traction control, that won't work very well. Gary Harmon's TSL car get's around one wheel rotation in the 60' where the traction control is most needed. Since they launch softer, the DR cars do get a little more front wheel speed, but nothing that is consistant enough to calculate off of. I personally would consider using another method than comparing wheel speeds.