Going Megasquirt

Just ordered my v3.0 MS3 with the MS3X!

Hope it works as good as its supposed to, I'll be selling a maf, maf translator, ecm, powerlogger, and chip

Oh and a scanmaster.

So lets add it up

Powerlogger - $280
ECM - $80
Scanmaster - $250
LS1 MAF - $100?
MAF Translator - $200
Extender chip - $60

TOTAL = $970

MS3 V3.0 with MS3X = $500 shipped.

If I hadn't bought my buick with everything but the powerlogger and scanmaster I'd be pissed!

Chevelle, your in the same boat as me! I had spent so much on add ons and it had nothing on MS3 still. Oh and NO MORE MAF! Which works convieniently well with a HKS SSQV Blow Off :D
I have it dialed in really well so far. I havent turned up the boost yet, but its set at 14 PSI and my AFRs are rock solid vs my commanded values table, and i have lean cruise set at 15:1. I personally have not done SFI yet, Bob has and I will most likely be SFI by the end of the week.

,Dan

I once had an engineer I work with at CAT refer to an Grand National ECM as "having as much processing power as a contemporary coffee maker.." lol So true! Also im in love with on-the-fly automatic VE table tuning! Also I have MS3 running my second fuel pump and boost control as well right now.

If you are planning to run detonation control just let me know i have spares of the 4.7v zener diode for the knock sensing circuit i could send you, because you can't get them at radioshack and you buy them in bulk at digikey.

We are slowly starting a group for a new ECM system option for turbo buicks and i find that my technical write up is getting more and more necessary... I'll have to start a thread at ms3efi.com soon and do it in steps when i get a chance.. I will have to clear with Bob on here who i have been working in parallel with on here to use some of his hand written schematics in the write-up. Otherwhise ill just have to draw mine because i only have them in Excell form.

I will also add that this for anyone interested this is for the do-it-yourselfer, dont expect it to be a plug and play kit when you get it. And there has also been very few people that run MS on a Buick so you wont get the service that you would with Cal where you call him with an issue and he's scene it before and can troubleshoot it easily. If you do not have much experience with EFI tuning and/or electrical components i will say it will be a frustrating and long process but it will be very rewarding. There is a lot of product support out there for it, but you have to know your end of the electrical input for them to help you. Also i will try and help people out as time permits.

Thanks, Dan

Sweet! Got my package in the mail last night. I will start the assembly next week and should be driving in a few weeks.

Are you sticking with the 2.5BAR map sensor?

Is the megasquirt fine with our crank sensor pattern?

Yea I will need to get the mapdaddy soon after getting it running.

How many extra wires are used on the install that don't plug into the factory ECM connector? I realize that the ls1 coils won't use the factory plug.

It depends on what and how you use things. I run an external wire to a DB9-Dsub connector for: WBO2,Launch Control, Boost control,table switch,second fuel pump activation. Maybe there are some others that i forged but if i ran the WB02 through the stock wire connector, and used the stock WG solenoid without the other addons like launch control and such, i could have done everything through the stock harness connector.

,Dan

Ok that makes sense.

I just read your thread on msextra about the sequential timing. We don't need to go through the factory ignition to run COP right? Can't we just use the direct signals from the cam and crank sensor?

No, You have to use the Square wave that comes from the DIS for the crank and you can use the cam signal from the DIS as well. Though Cal Hartline told me that he has a module for deleting the stock module and coil assembly. Once i get COP wired up and functioning correctly i will be picking one up.

,Dan

So is this because the stock cam and crank sensors don't put out a square wave, and the DIS converts their signal into one?

So is this because the stock cam and crank sensors don't put out a square wave, and the DIS converts their signal into one?

The factory sensors will output a square wave signal. You will just need to provide a power and ground. Keep the posts up, I am very interested in what you guys are doing.

Thanks cal, bob and i are doing well well with our setups, I didn't have time to mount the coils yet but I hooked them up and got coil output but haven't verified timing yet. I will be working on it moreonce I make the road trip home. Bob is going to test using the direct crank signal which should work fine we will just need to invert the ecm reading back to normal since the buick crank reluctor is evenly spaced and right now the ecm is compensating for the dis inverting the signal. Once we have that taken care of cnp will be very easy and no more module!

Dan

I have been seriously looking at this setup. I have never set up an EFI system in my life. I was reading a basic tuning guide from megasquirt and it does not look hard at all. The main thing I am not sure about is all these "Mod-Kits" that they have for sale. I can understand the basic system and software. So if I want to be able to read WB02, Boost, etc, I have to add these mod kits? Then wire it to the system? Please be patient with me because I have never done anything like this,

Thanks
Znix

There are no mod kits needed with ms3. The map sensor is built in up to 21 psi and you can upgrade to the mapdaddy for up to 44 psi. The wbo2 is just plug and play. Tuning the car is really easy and I have a "starter tune" for anyone intersted that has the correct calls and good tables in it. I have patience but time for me is slim. Im hoping once im done moving next week I can start a build thread for ms3.

,Dan

I'd be careful as far as using the term very simple. Bob and myself use custom mods in the proto area for cam sensor input and I use knock sensing. Given I can supply a base tune and wiring schematic, but you still need to know how everything works to troubleshoot and tune it
I have been tuning LS series engines since I was 17 along with working in gas engine development and getting used to MS was still not a walk in the park.

Im here to help so if you have any questions just let me know.

,Dan

Hopefully enough interest is generated where it gets to the point where many are adding to a repository. Would be cool for modded tunes based upon cam, turbo, heads ETC all in collated and a centralized repository. Very excited reading what has been done thus far. :)

There are no mod kits needed with ms3. The map sensor is built in up to 21 psi and you can upgrade to the mapdaddy for up to 44 psi. The wbo2 is just plug and play. Tuning the car is really easy and I have a "starter tune" for anyone intersted that has the correct calls and good tables in it. I have patience but time for me is slim. Im hoping once im done moving next week I can start a build thread for ms3.

,Dan

Scott 87 as cool as a base like that would be it is un-neccesary. Megasquirt has a very fast paced autotune feature that will get you very close in the matter of a couple miles of pulls and street driving. Also with the variation between engines and fuel systems VE tables will be much different from car to car which would make them equal to a "Base" tune. With a stand alone you are no longer needing to "just get it close" like a chip, it will dial the VE exactly to your desired AFR not just close... :D

,Dan