GNX speedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbolou

Lou's Automotive 949-378-1590
I have been cleaning house in my shop & ran across an original GNX speedo that I had sitting around for many years & forgot about it. It has 4,000 miles on it. What is it worth?

I think I saw the last one sell on ebay for $120-$150.

Just the speedo?:confused: Seems cheap. Those replica dash kits go for over $1500 and add $250 for the wiring harness. Am i missing something? I would keep it.

Nothing Special about the GNX Speedo, standard SW Deluxe 3 3/8 Speedo that goes to 160 mph. The GNX used the deluxe style speedo with the low profile chrome bezel ( SW could not supply HD speedos as ordered by ASC, so they subbed in deluxe ones, hence the reason that the GNX dash bezel is about 1/2 deeper for the Speedo then the rest of the gauges). As Novaderrik stated, you can buy them brand new from Summit for $76.88. All that was done to them was to cut a hole in the back for the VSS for the GNX. If it has this extra slot and has a GM or ASC part number it is probably worth more as a collectible. I picked up a brand new in the box NOS GNX Tachometer for $50 off of ebay last month, the tachs are difficult because SW no longer sells the same style. Speedos are easy to find, as SW hasn't really changed the deluxe gauges for the past 35+ years.
The rest of the GNX gauges are the Heavy Duty style with the raised black bezels.

Nothing Special about the GNX Speedo, standard SW Deluxe 3 3/8 Speedo that goes to 160 mph. The GNX used the deluxe style speedo with the low profile chrome bezel ( SW could not supply HD speedos as ordered by ASC, so they subbed in deluxe ones, hence the reason that the GNX dash bezel is about 1/2 deeper for the Speedo then the rest of the gauges). As Novaderrik stated, you can buy them brand new from Summit for $76.88. All that was done to them was to cut a hole in the back for the VSS for the GNX. If it has this extra slot and has a GM or ASC part number it is probably worth more as a collectible. I picked up a brand new in the box NOS GNX Tachometer for $50 off of ebay last month, the tachs are difficult because SW no longer sells the same style. Speedos are easy to find, as SW hasn't really changed the deluxe gauges for the past 35+ years.
The rest of the GNX gauges are the Heavy Duty style with the raised black bezels.
Great post not only have I found out my genuine original GNX part is worthless,I also got a history lesson. I guess I'll just use it for a door stop.

Not entirely true. You cannot, I repeat, cannot buy the correct speedo gauge to the best of my knowledge. The SW deluxe speedo offered by Summit (550BP-D) has the correct 0-160mph display and font, but the needle is not chrome like the original. Some would say that's minor, but for someone looking to correctly replace a GNX speedo or do a correct GNX clone, you need that chrome needle.

Another SW Speedo, Part#: 665D550BP, as seen at speedwaymotors.com, has a chrome needle and 0-160mph layout, but not the correct font as the original GNX piece.

Not entirely true. You cannot, I repeat, cannot buy the correct speedo gauge to the best of my knowledge. The SW deluxe speedo offered by Summit (550BP-D) has the correct 0-160mph display and font, but the needle is not chrome like the original. Some would say that's minor, but for someone looking to correctly replace a GNX speedo or do a correct GNX clone, you need that chrome needle.

Another SW Speedo, Part#: 665D550BP, as seen at speedwaymotors.com, has a chrome needle and 0-160mph layout, but not the correct font as the original GNX piece.

So are you now saying that my speedo may be worth a little more than $78.00 ? cause now I can't tell you how much I value you professional opinion. Lou

So are you now saying that my speedo may be worth a little more than $78.00 ? cause now I can't tell you how much I value you professional opinion. Lou

I've spent a lot of time researching this stuff, your speedo is definitely worth more than $78, but I've seen a NOS on ebay sell for approx. 150-165. So maybe in the end, it might be better to hold on to it IMHO.

OK.............the games up............caught in the act. I made up the history lesson so that I could make a lowball offer for the Speedo. Lou, will you take $100 CAD ( about $86 USD)?:D

It's probably worth between $150 to $1000, depending on how bad someone wants it. If someone wants an original Speedometer out of a GNX, then they will pay the asking price, what ever it may be.
I'm not proclaiming myself to be an expert on the subject and never will be, nor desire to be! Don't be surprised to get opinions when that is what you are soliciting in the first place.

I did not intend to crap on any GNX holy icon or cause any ill feelings amongst members of this site, if I have done that I am truly sorry. I stand by my original post that there was nothing special about the Stewart Warner gauges used in the GNX, they were and are standard off the shelf SW gauges from that era. Perhaps X-Ray can shed some light on the subject. If I'm wrong then I will stand corrected......it's that simple.

The Deluxe SW Speedos from the mid 1970's to the mid 1990's sure looked a lot like the GNX speedos. Turbobuick1 is correct about the current deluxe speedo having the correct face and wrong needle, and the HD version has the wrong face and correct needle ( by chrome needle, I take it that you mean the bright aluminum centre of the needle?) A fairly easy swap for anyone that has worked on a SW repair bench in the past. Probably changed when SW moved production from the US to Juarez, Mexico.

In the future I will attempt to keep my uneducated ideas and history lessons to myself. I thought the forums on here were for the sharing of ideas and info......guess not!

So.....Lou......how about my offer? If your just going to use it as a door stop anyway:rolleyes:

OK.............the games up............caught in the act. I made up the history lesson so that I could make a lowball offer for the Speedo. Lou, will you take $100 CAD ( about $86 USD)?:D

It's probably worth between $150 to $1000, depending on how bad someone wants it. If someone wants an original Speedometer out of a GNX, then they will pay the asking price, what ever it may be.
I'm not proclaiming myself to be an expert on the subject and never will be, nor desire to be! Don't be surprised to get opinions when that is what you are soliciting in the first place.

I did not intend to crap on any GNX holy icon or cause any ill feelings amongst members of this site, if I have done that I am truly sorry. I stand by my original post that there was nothing special about the Stewart Warner gauges used in the GNX, they were and are standard off the shelf SW gauges from that era. Perhaps X-Ray can shed some light on the subject. If I'm wrong then I will stand corrected......it's that simple.

The Deluxe SW Speedos from the mid 1970's to the mid 1990's sure looked a lot like the GNX speedos. Turbobuick1 is correct about the current deluxe speedo having the correct face and wrong needle, and the HD version has the wrong face and correct needle ( by chrome needle, I take it that you mean the bright aluminum centre of the needle?) A fairly easy swap for anyone that has worked on a SW repair bench in the past. Probably changed when SW moved production from the US to Juarez, Mexico.

In the future I will attempt to keep my uneducated ideas and history lessons to myself. I thought the forums on here were for the sharing of ideas and info......guess not!

So.....Lou......how about my offer? If your just going to use it as a door stop anyway:rolleyes:

Let me back up second, I asked what the speedo was worth & you initially implied 78.00 now I have some one interested willing to give me more, I want to make sure I'm not cheating this person by accepting his offer, You obviously don't take compliments very well. Because I was absolutely impressed by your knowledge.You are being way too hard on yourself & am concerned for your well being & hope this didn't traumatize you in any way. I should be the one to apologize.I assure you my intentions were honorable. Take care Lou

OK........I'll raise my bid to $100 USD, now that there is competition in the bidding. :wink:

No trama at all from these posts yet, all of the mind-altering painkillers that I'm on take care of that. I did not intend to infer your GNX speedo was worth $76.88, only that the current SW replacement is selling for that price brand new ( which is a hell of a deal, in my humble opinion). I did state that your GNX Speedo is collectible, but did not state a value for it. Sorry if I was not clear on that point.

But the main question troubling me is: Are you offering the same two year warranty that comes with the $76.88 replacement?:eek:
If not,.............. then you are possibly ripping someone off:biggrin:

Best Regards
"T" :)

OK........I'll raise my bid to $100 USD, now that there is competition in the bidding. :wink:

No trama at all from these posts yet, all of the mind-altering painkillers that I'm on take care of that. I did not intend to infer your GNX speedo was worth $76.88, only that the current SW replacement is selling for that price brand new ( which is a hell of a deal, in my humble opinion). I did state that your GNX Speedo is collectible, but did not state a value for it. Sorry if I was not clear on that point.

But the main question troubling me is: Are you offering the same two year warranty that comes with the $76.88 replacement?:eek:
If not,.............. then you are possibly ripping someone off:biggrin:

Best Regards
"T" :)

It comes with a lifetime warranty in writing, If it fails before purchaser dies I'll
kill him for free,

It comes with a lifetime warranty in writing, If it fails before purchaser dies I'll
kill him for free,

Now thats what im talking about. None of this sorry, didnt mean to be mean, IMO, IMHO, IMAHOMO, stuff.
Kick his azz, sea bass! :eek: :D

Now thats what im talking about. None of this sorry, didnt mean to be mean, IMO, IMHO, IMAHOMO, stuff.
Kick his azz, sea bass! :eek: :D
I think this thread has run it's course & going down hill. I'm Taking my $76.00 speedo & retreating back to the southwest section where I belong.This GNX forum has too many issues,

I think this thread has run it's course & going down hill. I'm Taking my $76.00 speedo & retreating back to the southwest section where I belong.This GNX forum has too many issues,

Sorry if I offended anyone, I battle with turrets and have outbursts at times.
Hey Lou, you probably dont remember me. It goes back to Buick Mart days.

Lou, what is going on over in Lake Forest car is for sale, parts are for sale i hope you don't start selling your sheep lol.:D

Lou, what is going on over in Lake Forest car is for sale, parts are for sale i hope you don't start selling your sheep lol.:D
I'm in this game as longs as I can at least pay the rent, Business is slow & unless I see some paying customers in my shop soon.I will move on to something else. Although I enjoy helping people I can't pay the bills doing freebies & trying to be an all around nice guy on that alone. I have some tough decisions to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.