GNX sold at Mecum

X Ray

The GNX changed my life!
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
The new untitled GNX sold for 82000 this last hour…the car was not dealer prepped and had super low miles. I do not remember the exact mileage and unknown GNX number. And yes to looked flawless. IMHO Nice buy…..

Prob the one that has been in Texas for years. Had like 9.9 miles on it. Was on Ebay for $120,000 a couple of times. Never titled.

2 did'nt sell.I notice a year or two ago they had a couple GNX's at Barret,recall them around $60-75k.Think the X owners don't want to entertain any more no res auctions in fear it won't bring what they feel it's worth.I think its the best way to figure out the market,Mecum is like a live televised Ebay,if it does'nt go no reserve or hit it,how do you know for sure the bids were real ,IMO !!!!
Landmark car or not,I still don't think these should be in the price range they are.O.k,rediculous low mile in the wrapper cars fine,but 5k miles on up should'nt be over the $50k mark .
My loss,in 03 right in front of me at a cruise night,a 9k mile X for $28,500,no big deal,get another one later when I get in the mood for one,now took off out of sight where I'd have to sell a couple of my cars to obtain one,and won't do that so unless one comes up at an attractive price,I won't have one.
Hands down bad azz car,but at what price,over $50k,not for me,would but numerous other cars at that.
Still have my GN of 23 years now that keeps me entertained !!!

2 did'nt sell.I notice a year or two ago they had a couple GNX's at Barret,recall them around $60-75k.Think the X owners don't want to entertain any more no res auctions in fear it won't bring what they feel it's worth.I think its the best way to figure out the market,Mecum is like a live televised Ebay,if it does'nt go no reserve or hit it,how do you know for sure the bids were real ,IMO !!!!
Landmark car or not,I still don't think these should be in the price range they are.O.k,rediculous low mile in the wrapper cars fine,but 5k miles on up should'nt be over the $50k mark .
My loss,in 03 right in front of me at a cruise night,a 9k mile X for $28,500,no big deal,get another one later when I get in the mood for one,now took off out of sight where I'd have to sell a couple of my cars to obtain one,and won't do that so unless one comes up at an attractive price,I won't have one.
Hands down bad azz car,but at what price,over $50k,not for me,would but numerous other cars at that.
Still have my GN of 23 years now that keeps me entertained !!!
I think you are wrong. 547 of a model of car that was faster then any other factory muscle car, even the lightweights of the 60's (except 2 that I can think of) should be bringing what those model of car are selling for at least. I cannot afford one at those prices, but it does not mean that they should not be marketed as equals to the other big dollar cars. I believe that without the economy tanking, our regular GN's would be approaching high 20's or low 30's by now. Limited's and T's a few thousand lower, but still way above sticker. There is WAY more documentation that comes with a GNX then any other factory muscle car. That makes it easy to prove the value at time of sale.

Just my opinion.

I think that's a great buy and will go up significantly in the future.

Was there on Saturday, even thou they were almost flawless(headliner and visors had major sags) they just don't look it compared to the other cars there with nice new deep finished paint jobs. Glass wasn't that clean because of keeping the crayon writing on the glass, same thing with the tires being dull and original.
Someone would really want one in this shape for either investment or a museum.
Was a little dissappointed by the bids they were getting compared to other cars that don't seem worth it.
Didn't help that they went off at the tail end of the last day.
Some amazing cars there, can't believe the amount of money that changes hands at these events.
IMG_3346.jpg

I wonder what Mecum gets for selling it? B/J gets 14% from what I have heard.It cant 14% from both buyer and seller. If its the same knock off about $11,500. That sucks.No wonder they love them high dollar cars coming across the block.

Either way I watched that episode and when I saw the GNX in the background I thought this was going to be interesting. But instead they were like blah blah blah about I think a 69 chevelle the whole time that was on the block right before. They didn't show any bidding on the GNX and showed it for all of 10 seconds. They mentioned the mileage and said there goes an 87 GNX that didn't sell at 70k so the bid goes on. It's apparent these cars don't get the respect that they should command. Yes I love these cars so I ya was a little butt hurt about it but regardless if it was my favorite car or not, if your a car enthusiast the turbo regals should be noticed as the top of the heap. Especially the GNX. Maybe in another 25 years they might get noticed.

I wonder what Mecum gets for selling it? B/J gets 14% from what I have heard.It cant 14% from both buyer and seller. If its the same knock off about $11,500. That sucks.No wonder they love them high dollar cars coming across the block.

B/J gets a 10% sellers fee, and also a 10% buyers fee !! :eek:

I believe they get 7% seller, 6% buyer, 2 points less with no reserve
Market is soft for the GNX right now, the other GNX that didn't sell earlier in the week had a poster in the car with examples of two other GNX's that sold last year for over $100k, his stopped at $70k
I believe one guy was representing all 3 Buicks that day, don't think he was happy!
A few pics of awsome cars that day:cool:
IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

I watched this sale on TV and was OUTRIGHT SHOCKED that the GNX sold for so low. It was in the low 80s. This guy MUST have been on CRACK and needed a fix really bad, to sell that (new) car that low!!! That was a 6 figure car ALL DAY LONG!!
But the surprising thing was that directly behind the GNX was a Grand National that was also brand new, and that sold in the low 40 thousand range. But after reaching over 40 thousand, the deal wasn't finished and the car went into the "The Bid Goes On" stage. And this was the shocker: The guy wanted to DEAL ON THE GRAND NATIONAL AND NOT THE GNX!!!! Unreal!!
That Crack must be one helluva drug.......

If you are a turbo regal fan,there is no disputing why one would'nt have the desire to own a GNX,as am I.I have been following the major auction houses,ebay,forums,hemming,etc on prices of musclecars in the past ten + years and seen the rise of all kinds of musclecars and their pricing.2004 to 2007 was the massive rapid increase in pricing,and not because of shortage of the cars,but good economy,banks loaning out money like it was water,and with people wanting the taste of musclecars,some overspent the value of cars just to obtain them(Hemi cars case in point).
What makes a car bring strong money is rarity,eng combo,color,etc.Musclecars of the late 60's early 70's were used and abused,and were hardly ever thought of being put away for investment,now 40 years later they command good cash as the age of them can warrant as the supply and demand now factors in.NTM,guys wanting to relive their youth,get the car they couldn't have before,start a collection,start an investment,etc.
But truth is,most of the GNX's with the exception for a handful,had a fate of being bought and stored away to ever see the light of day with very few miles ever put on them,from below 100,to the low thousands.So from what I've seen,there is no shortage of them and quite honselty,they look like they change hands frequently,or at least are being offered up to be.
Yes,the old saying is an item is worth what one is willing to pay.The problem is,when you see these,or any musclecar at that, at an auction,BJ,Mecum,Russo-Steele,etc,and it breaks a good number,strong chances are that was 2 or more well off people with more money to burn that what most of us earn in a year, got into a fight over it and cranked it up above the actual reality price it was/is worth.Now everbody back home gets all hyped up"my abc is worth that !"
Now with BJ,if you remember,no reserve auction,2 years ago,1 ,2,or 3 GNX's went thru not bringing anything of what you think they are worth,and if my memory serves me,they went form $65-$72 with the extreme low miles on their clocks.NTM,take in the factor the commission,so those sellers actually too in $57-$67.Funny how BJ has had no X's since then,and they are Mecum with reserves.BJ was real world telling you the value,Mecum is a glorified,televised Ebay with reserves.
Do you see the ones on ebay right now NOT selling.
I've said it before,with these GNX's,they will always be out there,there is no shortage of them,people always get their fill with them and send them back off into the market,so what,every time it sells it needs to go up in value?
How many people have expendable cash to buy one with 150 miles on it just to put in their garage to look at,as you know YOU can't go taking the thing out for enjoyment now either.NTM,and one here said,I don't care the mile,how it was kept in a bubble,those headliners are and will be falling,along with the visors.The bumpers fillers will be chaulked out,dry gaskets ready to start leaking,and what else,that dry plastic timing chain ready to start loosing teeth.
Me personally would rather have one with 10k-25k miles so that it was used and kept everything in order,the price in an affordable range,as expecting those areas mentioned to be weathered looking,but most of all,the pleasure to use it.
But those who think these time capsule pieces are six figure cars are shot,the $ 82k proved what one was willing to pay,and actually less as the seller paid commission,so actually netted in the high $70's.
All others that have 10k miles and up,IMO,should not be commanding over $50k,plenty of them out there,and certainly not old enough yet.Those selling them right now will be seeing the tough sell they have ahead of them,some will stick to their guns and hold out,and maybe the right buyer will come along and pay,or if you want/have to sell,keep dropping the price until it does,and when the hammer falls,there's your todays value of them !!!

stg1.
you being a newb, and not really knowing much about the GNX.
your comments are to be expected from some one who will never afford a GNX.
but will bad mouth the prices they command.
with 547 ever built, and rated a "collectable car" by ALL knowledgeable
collectors, your view is not realistic, times are still tough for alot of people,
and until we (the USA) get back to normal, all collectables will be for the rich.

stg1.
collectors, your view is not realistic, times are still tough for alot of people,
and until we (the USA) get back to normal, all collectables will be for the rich.

Pretty comical that someone with 18 posts is calling someone with 15 posts a "newb".

stg1.

Thank you for saying what alot of people were thinking!!

Was there on Saturday, even thou they were almost flawless(headliner and visors had major sags) they just don't look it compared to the other cars there with nice new deep finished paint jobs. Glass wasn't that clean because of keeping the crayon writing on the glass, same thing with the tires being dull and original.
Someone would really want one in this shape for either investment or a museum.
Was a little dissappointed by the bids they were getting compared to other cars that don't seem worth it.
Didn't help that they went off at the tail end of the last day.
Some amazing cars there, can't believe the amount of money that changes hands at these events.
IMG_3346.jpg
I was there friday and saturday.

Its a generational thing, give it another 5 to 10 years and GN, GNX, TTA, SYC, TYP will most likely appreciate greatly compared to todays prices.

stg1.

Newb,no,been registered here 2 years longer than you.Have owned my GN now 22 years,and 15k mile TTA for 2.Been to Bowling Green in 95 when TR's were red hot.No,I don't know anything about GNX's.Never afford one,besides my personal finances,if wanted one this instance,could easily sell the GN and TTA and throw in a couple bucks and have one.Or some of the other collector cars I have that are'nt Buicks for that matter.
GNX's collectable,never dispute that!!! Timecapsule examples in the 60's,70's and up selling,sure.Just saying my own personal opinion is I wouldn't spend that much on one for investment to sit as a garage trophy.Rather have one with 15k on up to use ,and the affordability and as such price should reflect it.
As one replied,thought $82 was cheap and should have ben six figures,....it was an auction,the price was decided when the hammer fell,ntm,the owner obviously was content about it to or the bid would have went on.
I have a lot of time left in the hobby,eventually the right timing and car will cross my path,a GNX is on my bucket list to own.
Maybe have come across to most as a downer,but the prob with forums is you are reading black and white typing,not hearing the tone of my comments,so can be interpreted in a different manner.