GNX REAR SEAT CROSS BRACE

OK. Flat brace seems better? Can't see in pics whose brace is biggest, widest on angle parts, or thickest. Dimensional input please?
In my world: "if some is good, more is better, and too much is about right."
I have a 9", and I want the rest of the driveline and chassis to be happy whenever I feel the need to get into the engine again! THANKS ALL!
TIMINATOR
P.S. I will plug weld it to the existing metal in many spots. Depending on thickness of both materials, number and size of welds TBD.

Last edited:
OK. Flat brace seems better? Can't see in pics whose brace is biggest, widest on angle parts, or thickest. Dimensional input please?
In my world: "if some is good, more is better, and too much is about right."
I have a 9", and I want the rest of the driveline and chassis to be happy whenever I feel the need to get into the engine again! THANKS ALL!
TIMINATOR
P.S. I will plug weld it to the existing metal in many spots. Depending on thickness of both materials, number and size of welds TBD.
Using a bonding agent will actually be stronger than plug welds. More surface area. And less chance of burning the car down, unless you already have it completely apart.

Both GBody and Kirban have the brace, both most likely Tin Man and galvanize too ,another reason to bound.

Kirban, g body parts, turbo farm, and OPG haven't returned my calls, postons # is not in service, tin man in bethel, minn. Isn't them, and T/A perf doesn't have it. Anybody got any current info?
Thanks!
TIMINATOR

Thanks for the info, all!
Bonding agent requires clean, bare metal.
Otherwise it won't bond well, and fail, or is no stronger than the bond of the powder paint, galvanize, primer, or other coating to the base metal. A light grinding is usually the way most folks clean paint and coatings off, but that also thins and weakens the sheet metal
( you scratch/scribe glass to break or cut it.)
In sheet metal welding, spot, or plug welds are preferred to continous welding, as the base metal tends to tear and fatigue at the beginning and ends of the weld, resulting in tearing of the joint from end to end. Also a spot weld is supported entirely around itself and draws support from the surrounding area. That's why car sheet metal is spot welded.
I'm not here to disparage anyone's preferred method of install, anything is better than nothing in this app. But I'm anal about this because I was a certified welder (bridge & crane) and structural steel for a lot of years, and studied the subject of bonding, bolting, and welding in my employment before being an automotive machinist for the last 4 decades.
Several 1/4" fine thread bolts, nylock nuts, with fender washers on both sides, are a great alternative to spot or plug welds, and do not put the bolts or welds in a straight line in any direction, staggering 4 or 5 bolts is stronger. Sheet metal screws WILL loosen, drill them out one at a time and replace with bolts, nylocks, and washers.
Just trying to help.
TIMINATOR

Thank you PACECARTA!
Called and had a nice conversation with a very nice guy! The real tin man! Brace will be shipped asap!
He is out of the rear frame mount bushings currently, and will shIp those whenever he gets them back in stock.
Still no return calls from the others....
TIMINATOR

Kirban, g body parts, turbo farm, and OPG haven't returned my calls, postons # is not in service, tin man in bethel, minn. Isn't them, and T/A perf doesn't have it. Anybody got any current info?
Thanks!
TIMINATOR
Well you can burn Postons number they been gone for 15 years.

Thanks Turbo6, being a welder for years, I did know that.
Poston, I didn't. I'll trash their bus. card.
Anybody know for sure if cerakote is an insulating coating, or just pretty and corrosion resistant? They don't return calls or e mails either. Was gonna get my T/A HEADERS coated, but not if it doesn't insulate.
TIMINATOR

Thanks Turbo6, being a welder for years, I did know that.
Poston, I didn't. I'll trash their bus. card.
Anybody know for sure if cerakote is an insulating coating, or just pretty and corrosion resistant? They don't return calls or e mails either. Was gonna get my T/A HEADERS coated, but not if it doesn't insulate.
TIMINATOR

Who did you call? Cerakote likes to send people to a dealers unless you catch them at a trade show and get somebody's card, then you just call them directly. They have a few coatings good to 1800F, but colors are limited, and if you choose a low heat emissive color, the choices neck down even further.

Has anyone ridden in or driven cars with tube braces and flat steel ones? Kinda lookin for a comparison.
Timinator

There is no difference. I have used the Kirbans on one car and the GNX one by Chad Dickey. I prefer the Chad Dickey because there are no bolts to come loose.

Gentlemen. Chad Dickey here. I make and sell my version of the GNX/ASC rear seat brace. I can guarantee my brace is the strongest and highest quality brace available. This brace is 11 ga steel throughout.....(no additional pieces to strengthen it like others)
its bent, pre drilled and completely powdercoated. It comes with 13 Stainless structural rivets. When I do installs I also use a quality metal on metal adhesive.......when completed it is SOLID. I have not had 1 complaint yet. Any questions feel free to call or text 815 695 5290. PRICE is 245.00 SHIPPED. The Timminator just bought 1 a few weeks back.. Cant attach a pic as the files are too big. CALL or TEXT. Thanks everyone

There is no difference. I have used the Kirbans on one car and the GNX one by Chad Dickey. I prefer the Chad Dickey because there are no bolts to come loose.
I can guarantee there is no flex in my brace. The kirban bars and the gnx brace TIN MAN they sell is bendable.