GNX flares on 81 century wagon

liquidh8

I was wondering if anyone has seen the GNX flares on a g-body wagon? I wish I could photoshop, I would do it to my wagon. I am putting in the vents, I really like the flares on the Regal. The only problem I see is how wide the leading side of the rear flares are, since on a wagon there isn't a whole lot of room there, since the rear door is there. The repops are only fiberglass, i could do what i want with them to get them to fit.

Yes, the flare is wide enough to cover the trailing edge of the door. Here is what I would do...

I would tape the flare in place on the car. Make sure that that the curve of the flare matches the one on the wagon. If is acceptable then I would use a China marker and mark out the location of the door. I would clean this mark up as best you can and make it a smooth arc.

I would cut the flare on the mark. Being fiberglass, you will be able the fabricate a new edge to fill in the gap. However, I would not use globs of bondo to fill this edge in as tempting as it might be. Affix the flares and voila!

However, you might want to look here to see if there isn't a cool ground effects kit you can get for your wagon. i see several that look sweet... laureneng.com

The 1980-84 Regal and Century front fenders interchange according to my parts search site. I shows that that the same vintage Olds SW rear doors interchange so i would guess that the ground effects for these car would work as well. They are all G Bodies... same a Malibus.

It is always easier to go a tried and true route. Those vents on the car and some ground effects are going to be sweet.

I had thought about the ground effects from lauran, not sure though, they almost looks to 80's, lol. I was thinking of just using some duct tape and cardboard to make the flares, with the door cutout, to see what it would like like. The car is slowly getting all in primer, so the duct tape would be a close color to match.

Of course they look 80's... they are made to fit the 80's car you drive! The 80's stuff still looks good to me, anyways.

Look at this project on an R.O.I. type deal. Is the time and money you will invest in making the GNX flares fit worth it? Unless you actually have the flares on the car, you will never truly know.

Lauren makes some dang cool kits. i am sure that they are not the only ones. You just really need to consider what is going to look right on your wagon.

As a designer, I can tell you that I have thought up a lot of different ideas in my head that seemed perfect until I actually did a concrete design or a finished project. I call "outcooling yourself".

Just do it like people used to do the dually suburban conversions. What ever part of the flair covers the door,make that part of the flair part of the door. I know im simplifying it a lot. this would involve a lot of fabrication,but it would look cool.

I thought about that too with the dually burb guys do. uy then I starting looking around, I wanted to extend the rockers down just enough to cover the frame rail, so I looked into lauren eng, and their base kit is 299. I could use it as a start, and blend the factory wheel well flares down to the rocket into them. I think it would flow well. I am using 18" wheels so I think it'll fill the wheelwells good. If you have ever seen an 81 century, the wheelwell flares don't run all the way down to the rocker, they stop at the lower body line, I want to continue them all the way down. I think I could kill 2 birds with on stone, make the flares fuller, and extend the rockers using one of those kits as a start.

It's only fiberglass, I can cut and do what I want with it.:smile: