GNX exhaust question

turbinetom

Is the GNX exhaust unique from the cat back or is the "y" pipe standard GN and adapted to the dual mufflers? My car came with mufflers and tailpipes but not the front half... Thanks

Ok thanks for the insight and the link. I'll research photos both stock exhausts for GN and gnx further.

Looking at these photos, I'm still not sure...Did GM (ASC) simply cut off the stock GN exhaust and install mufflers and tailpipes? The parts supplement lists the "crossover" pipe as P/N 12332904. It sure looks like the GN pipe, maybe just modified?

Attachments

• GNX exhaust drawing.JPG
    GNX exhaust drawing.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 57
  • GNX exhaust photo stock.jpeg
    GNX exhaust photo stock.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Stock GN crossover pipe.jpg
    Stock GN crossover pipe.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 58
Interesting. Maybe the one Richard Clark was producing, in the gbodyparts pic, was not exactly like the factory.

Contact either Dennis Kirban or Richard Clark. Both would know for sure. Both have seen hundreds of these in their 30+ years and Richard still has one or two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, thanks. The Richard Clark exhaust is on the car. I was told he personally installed it at his shop. Its a sweet piece and no plans to remove but I'd like to retain a complete original exhaust (I have no good reason why)...

Attachments

• 72-gnx cover undercarriage.JPG
    72-gnx cover undercarriage.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 44
Looking at these photos, I'm still not sure...Did GM (ASC) simply cut off the stock GN exhaust and install mufflers and tailpipes? The parts supplement lists the "crossover" pipe as P/N 12332904. It sure looks like the GN pipe, maybe just modified?

Yes, that's exactly what they did. The mufflers are from the Olds 442, with a corner cut off and welded closed to clear the rear suspension.

Yes, that's exactly what they did. The mufflers are from the Olds 442, with a corner cut off and welded closed to clear the rear suspension.
I thought they were just beat in ? Or squashed in? I remember looking at Richards and I didn’t see that it was welded on the 2 corners ?

here's mine that came with car

Attachments

• 92-original muffs (1).JPG
    92-original muffs (1).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 48
I thought they were just beat in ? Or squashed in? I remember looking at Richards and I didn’t see that it was welded on the 2 corners ?

They were beat in.
I've seen a few that cracked where they beat them and were welded.