GNX dash/ VDO oil pressure gauge help

JPN800

I just bought a Gn that was never put completely back together after the previous owner had the engine rebuilt. So while in the process of getting everything back together I came across a problem. It has a GNX style gauge cluster in it and I have a question on hooking up the oil pressure gauge.
The oil feed block was missing and so was the original oil pressure switch, and I'm guessing the vdo oil sending unit? I only have one plug off the original wiring harness for the factory oil switch but it looks like it has a press on tab that you can add a spade connector to on one of the 3 factory wires that goes to the vdo sender? Do any of you guys have your oil pressure gauge hooked up like that? if anyone can help I appreciate it.

You can use it if you don't have the oil pressure idiot light in your cluster. My setup still uses the idiot light so I ran a separate wire.

the AVC gnx style vdo cluster (and others ) made use the tan oil idiot wire for the signal wire to the sending unit so that just plugging the dash into the oe dash gauge connector would be all that was needed to get the oil gauge working , temp works same way using the oe green temperature idiot wire to get the signal to that gauge
the sending unit is a single wire gets its ground through the threads

if you look at the oe rubber connector there are three slots for spade terminals
two are paralled on each side (12v pink and pump feed gray ).. the oil wire is the one that is on the bottom laying flat , for gnx they used a 3m schotch lok squeeze connector to attach a short lead from sender to the tan wire or you could cut and use a butt or just attach a male spade to a wire from sender and plug into the oe plug

Last edited:
Thank you, Makes perfect sense now. It is an AVC unit, What sender do I need for the oil pressure gauge? standard VDO or something else?

Last edited:
the AVC gnx style vdo cluster (and others ) made use the tan oil idiot wire for the signal wire to the sending unit so that just plugging the dash into the oe dash gauge connector would be all that was needed to get the oil gauge working , temp works same way using the oe green temperature idiot wire to get the signal to that gauge
the sending unit is a single wire gets its ground through the threads

if you look at the oe rubber connector there are three slots for spade terminals
two are paralled on each side (12v pink and pump feed gray ).. the oil wire is the one that is on the bottom laying flat , for gnx they used a 3m schotch lok squeeze connector to attach a short lead from sender to the tan wire or you could cut and use a butt or just attach a male spade to a wire from sender and plug into the oe plug
Do you have a picture of this. I'm trying to wire my s/w gnx style oil pressure gauge up