GNX ceramic turbine wheel

robzombie

I was wondering if there is an advantage to having a ceramic turbine wheel on the original turbo versus what came on the WE4 package.

The reason I ask is that the original engine that came with my car,[46,000 mile] untouched/unopened has the original turbo with a GNX turbine on it according to the previous owner.

It has no shaft play at all and must have been rebuilt, but why would you want a GNX turbine over a stock turbine?

Can they take more heat or do they have a different blade angle, lighter for quicker spool or????

Are there any pros or cons to having this turbine wheel over a stock turbine or is it just a wash so to speak.

RZ.

I talked to a Garret engineer years ago and his comment was that the design changes to the wheel to accommodate the material basically made it a wash.
AG

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks. I thought there would be more to it than just material differences.

How can I tell???

If I post a high resolution pic would you be able to tell??

I guess I could see if a magnet sticks to it or not.

If there is a way to positively ID the turbine someone please chime in.

If I recall correctly the gnx turbo has a "trap" in the exhaust housing that the regular one did not,

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't think it's a GNX specific turbo, from what previous owner stated it has a GNX turbine, and it was recommended by the person who rebuilt his turbo.

He had the current setup that I have built while he was still driving it. When the new motor was done they yanked the stock motor out and dropped in the current motor and did all the other mods in my sig.

Here are some pics, I can take better ones if necessary.

IMG_8170.JPG
IMG_8168.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG
IMG_8171.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8173.JPG
    IMG_8173.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8176.JPG
    IMG_8176.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 152
judging by the balance cut seen on the hex, I would gander that's a standard turbine wheel.

I could be wrong but the stock wheels I've seen have ten blades and this one has eleven blades.

I don't know what that means if anything, more blades might be more restrictive at higher rpm, but boost faster at lower rpm.

The stock turbine is 11 blades. So isnt the GNX turbine. The design of each is totally different. The GNX turbine is a lot lighter. The mass flow of the stock compressor (same in both) is capped around 37-38lbs/min regardless of the turbine used. Maybe more flow could have been had with the GNX turbine if they used a compressor that had more mass flow potential? I wont be finding out. GNX turbine for $1000 if you want it.
gnxand stock comparison1.JPG
gnx and stock comparison2.JPG

Thanks Brian for clarifying that. Can you tell by looking at my pics what turbine I have.

If not can you tell me how to figure out what I have??

Are all turbine ends round like the one you're holding until balanced?? I've never bought a new uninstalled turbine and don't know what to look for.

Looks like a stock turbine to me. No they are not usually round.

OK thanks, I didn't think someone would put one on there.

I wonder how much other BS the previous owner was told about the things that were done to this car.

The stock turbine is 11 blades. So isnt the GNX turbine. The design of each is totally different. The GNX turbine is a lot lighter. The mass flow of the stock compressor (same in both) is capped around 37-38lbs/min regardless of the turbine used. Maybe more flow could have been had with the GNX turbine if they used a compressor that had more mass flow potential? I wont be finding out. GNX turbine for $1000 if you want it.
View attachment 194196View attachment 194197

I am looking for some NOS GNX turbo ceramic turbine wheel and shaft assemblies. I had seen someone post they have 5 of these but can’t
View attachment 194196View attachment 194197

I am looking for some NOS GNX turbo ceramic turbine wheel and shaft assemblies. I had seen someone post they have 5 of these but can’t find where I saw these. I appreciate your help