GNX #003 sells for $115k at BJ

Definitely and Icee ,I was thinking around 135K to 150K, but some serious question was brought up about 003 in another thread ??

Isn't that strong money for an 11K mile example that was ridden hard and put up wet? It was used and abused by many magazines as an intro and promotion car then it sat for 20 plus years. It is cool that it was the first one sold at retail basically as a well used demo, and appeared in many magazines but that's about it. It's not #001 or #547.

Isn't that strong money for an 11K mile example that was ridden hard and put up wet? It was used and abused by many magazines as an intro and promotion car then it sat for 20 plus years. It is cool that it was the first one sold at retail basically as a well used demo, and appeared in many magazines but that's about it. It's not #001 or #547.
I too agree it was pretty strong $. One thing to remember with our cars is condition still plays a big part in their value. Prices are all over the map from $60k-$150k.

Was someone from the forum at BJ who can comment on the condition of the car?

I don't think prices are cooling off because they are still significantly higher that a few years ago. I've seen quite a few cars get sold and resold a year or so later for more.

Prices aside it's nice to see the cars getting reconition!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

These are all good points. I guess because they hyped up the #003 as the first sold to the public and the way it’s been shown off in all of these photo magazine shoots. I’m hoping to be in the market later this year for one, and will make sure I do my due diligence on researching; including consulting with Mr. Clark in NC. Auctions seem to get better prices than private sellers are asking, but at the end of the day, cash is always a motivator for private sellers. I’ve bought many a car from situations like divorces, new baby arrivals, deaths etc.. , but with really only 544 (I’d think it’s safe to say, #001,002 and 547 are currently not available) out there, finding the right one may take awhile. I’d like a sub, unmolested, 10k mile car that I can actually drive. I’m still enjoying the hell out of my
GN now.

I personally think that was low. That would be a price I would expect on this site or a private sale. Usually these big name actions sell at a higher price. Hence Barrett Jackson selling one with less than 400 miles on it for $165K. I would argue history is almost as important as mileage.
Having the 1st GNX sold to the public and on the cover of EVERY magazine is really cool. The car was tested stock. Wastegates weren’t turned up or boost increased. I wouldn’t be scared to drive that one. If I had one with 400 Miles, it would never leave my bubble.

I rode in that one in 1993 when my friend bought it. It was very fast for the day, and we all had Pro Street cars with tunnel rams and Big Blocks. That little engine was a bullet. I did not get into Buicks until 2007, so this car was not to my taste at the time. My friend had a killer GN also, but paid dearly for this car in 1992, and took possession in 93'. He was killed in 94' and the car was in his building. I had no idea until about 10 years ago that it was 003. Never paid attention. The car was very very nice, but I had not seen it in years. His building was awesome, so I am sure it was still a fabulous car when it was purchased by George Lyons from Erie Pa. Funny thing is...GNX012 is sitting 7 miles from where 003 was.

The car was tested stock. Wastegates weren’t turned up or boost increased. I wouldn’t be scared to drive that one. If I had one with 400 Miles, it would never leave my bubble.

Hate to tell you but many of these cars had to boost turned up and fuel pressure regulators crushed which was an easy way to give the car more fuel pressure. These cars are 30+ years old and while having the history is cool the condition may have been lacking. I am hopeful that someone who is on the board can chime in with the condition of the car. Not all 547 cars are alike in that aspect.

I too agree it was pretty strong $. One thing to remember with our cars is condition still plays a big part in their value. Prices are all over the map from $60k-$150k.

Was someone from the forum at BJ who can comment on the condition of the car?

I don't think prices are cooling off because they are still significantly higher that a few years ago. I've seen quite a few cars get sold and resold a year or so later for more.

Prices aside it's nice to see the cars getting reconition!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I was there along with another board member. #003 was in very nice condition, you couldn't tell it had 10k miles on it. The owner did say it had some light reconditioning, paint had been done on one of the front fenders and the opposite rear quarter but you couldn't tell. Underneath he siad there were several parts that were removed that were rusted and reconditioned like the drive shaft, rear axle and some of the control arms. There was a place in the door that a paint and body guy there said was bad, but all it looked like to me was a dimple in the paint at one of the seams in the door. He said it was dust under the paint when it was painted. Under the hood was perfect and clean.
I thought it would go for $135k+ also just being that it was the first sold to the public.

To tell you the truth, I have seen 300 mile GNX's at BJ that were in worse shape than #003. LAst year there was a 2xx miler that had already had the AC converted to R134A and the cowl piece under the windshield had been painted with spray paint it looked like with runs in it, I think it sold for around $120k IIRC.

Also there was a 2,800 mi GNX that sold a few cars ahead of #003, but that guy did not want to open the hood at all, once it was up on stage, the hood was opened and then I saw why, the heater hoses had been cut and U-turned back into each other at the firewall as it had a heater core leak, that car sold for $92k, was ealiy a $100k+ car if the owner would have fixed the heater core correctly.
Here are some pics of #003 and the other GNX, we were up on stage when both of them crossed:

Interestingly enough, #003 was the only car at BJ that did not have the rear license tag for the EST '71 for BJ.
gnx03-a.JPG

#003 on display before the auction out in the tent:
gnx03-b.JPG

TV shot when I watched it back, the 6 guys lined up at the driver side front fender was my group representing the Buicks!
gnx03-tv.JPG

And the other GNX crossing the stage with 2,800 miles:
gnx-other.JPG