GN1-R's, Ported & Unported stock heads.

Hmmm!You probably have a good point there, I'm going to have to look into that,Thanks for shareing,It's what we used to do years ago when I was campaigning BB Chevy's as you say it was done because it made sense. It would make more sense to run a bigger bore & shorter stroke if that were possible. You could spin the motor faster because of a lighter rotating assm. as well as unshroud the valves.

Since you don't see this kind of stuff posted too much I figured I'd show what a full race ported GN1-R head (out the box) looks like when compared to stock iron heads. This gives people an idea of how much larger aftermarket heads are. I ported the stock iron head you see myself and has been a best of 6.53 at 107 in the 8th mile. Also to note, my "R" heads are not the tall port offered by Champion. There's at least 3/16" or more to make the port taller. I'm sure all the really fast guys have MUCH larger re-worked heads than these.

heads_acrossports.jpg

heads_sidebysideports.jpg

heads_updownports.jpg

heads_chambers.jpg

Ported heads question
Here is a dumb question. (Hope I did not miss it in the thread)
It appears that the plug is more towards the center in the GNR’s vs the stock heads.

:confused: Is this an illusion or does do the GNR’s use a difference casting?
Welded stock heads possibly?

Also, it appears that the squish is noticeably improved.
:confused: Is this a TTA head casting?

GREAT THREAD!!!

Ported heads question
Here is a dumb question. (Hope I did not miss it in the thread)
It appears that the plug is more towards the center in the GNR’s vs the stock heads.

:confused: Is this an illusion or does do the GNR’s use a difference casting?
Welded stock heads possibly?

Also, it appears that the squish is noticeably improved.
:confused: Is this a TTA head casting?

GREAT THREAD!!!

Champion aluminum heads are a totally different casting than stock. Spark plug is also moved closer to the center.

Also, they redesigned the "squish" or combustion chamber for better flow. If you look at the new Chevy LSX style heads the chambers are almost identical to the Champions.

Champion aluminum heads are a totally different casting than stock. Spark plug is also moved closer to the center.

Also, they redesigned the "squish" or combustion chamber for better flow. If you look at the new Chevy LSX style heads the chambers are almost identical to the Champions.

Nevermind. I "thought" they were ported iron heads. :eek:

Found some old pictures of the regular GN1's I ordered. Here is the chamber differences in the "R" and the non "R" Champion heads.

heads_chambersGN1&GN1R.jpg

ported heads

nice work done need more info maybe reference on a good machine shop to get some port work done

Cool post. I replaced my head gaskets 5 years ago when I bought my car. I was told they were bad. (they were not, only a bad turbo seal) I knew nothing about these cars then. Anyhow, I had the heads cleaned up and had a basic valve job done @ a local speed shop. Never ported or anything. I guess you live & learn. After all I've heard, I may pull them again & have them ported along with my intake. I just hate doing that knowing these head gaskets have seen 28lbs & are still fine!

I'm no expert with highly sensitive electronics or flow machines to confirm that tapering the cylinder helps but I can judge by my common sense that it should flow better when there's no "wall" for incoming air to hit. Small bore Big Block Chevrolets also have this taper from the factory. Yes there is enough material to taper the top of the bore. I don't taper the entire top of the bore just where it's needed where the chambers overhang.

Here's a crude drawing to show what I'm talking about.

valvestaper.gif

This is some good info.I was wanting to go with a GN1-R Head I thought they where only Tall ports. I see you talking about a .030 over bore. Can this be done
on a .010 or .020 over bore block? I have a Stage 1 block and did not want to have the block bored over .020 because it has never been bored. I do want to
go to a bigger Vavle heads and 14 head heads. Looks like from the pictures I would have to do alot of Tapering work at top of the block on a .020 over block.
Can this be done on a .020 over block has any done this on a .020 block with these GN1-R heads?. I wanted to use my stock ported intake with a set of GN1-R?

How much better do the GN1-R heads flow race ported than the GN1 race ported any flow numbers to compare these two heads?

Can this be done on a .020 over block has any done this on a .020 block with these GN1-R heads?. I wanted to use my stock ported intake with a set of GN1-R?

This link shows close-up pictures of a .020 block. GN1-R heads on a 3.8L engine. Remember though, once you cut the block for the "R" heads you can't use stock head gaskets anymore! You will have to use a gasket for the larger 4.1L bore.

How much better do the GN1-R heads flow race ported than the GN1 race ported any flow numbers to compare these two heads?

When my "R" heads are off the engine the next time I'll get them flowed and post the results in this thread.

Recently, I did flow one of the ported iron heads in those pictures above.

#'s on one intake valve
Lift:
.100 = 57cfm
.200 = 112
.300 = 160
.400 = 181
.500 = 187
.550 = 189
.600 = 193

I also flowed a old M&A Stage III head with very, very minor port clean-up work.

#'s on one intake valve

Lift:
.100 = 79cfm
.200 = 120
.300 = 160
.400 = 193
.500 = 209
.550 = 212
.600 = 214
.650 = 217