GN1 HEADS SPARK PLUG SOCKET

MCH86GN

I'm resetting my CAM sensor and I used a spark plug socket to remove the spark from cylinder 1 and now the socket is stuck in the head. I've tried to plug the socket out with needle nose pliers and channel locks, with no success. Any suggestions? I don't want to strip the damn spark plug hole.

they make locking extensions , you can get a set for around 10 bucks at Home Depot or harbor freight, with the heat and one of these should come out
in extreme instances seen guys use bread to pack in from top and pushes it out or try various picks hooks, might have to bend a flat tip screw driver into little hook thats a pain in the ass

they make locking extensions , you can get a set for around 10 bucks at Home Depot or harbor freight, with the heat and one of these should come out
in extreme instances seen guys use bread to pack in from top and pushes it out or try various picks hooks, might have to bend a flat tip screw driver into little hook thats a pain in the ass
Do they lock into the socket? WTF? Why would such an expensive pair of heads not have the bore opened up enough to allow a spark plug socket to work without compromising the heads.

yes they lock into socket they have a slide release coupler hopefully strong enough to help you out with boost231 recommendation of heat should do the trick or then your on to a big pain in the ass

Do they lock into the socket? WTF? Why would such an expensive pair of heads not have the bore opened up enough to allow a spark plug socket to work without compromising the heads.
I have had that problem with certain sockets. The wall of some sockets is too thick. I put them in a lathe and thin them down a bit.

Get yourself a thin walled socket this will keep it from happening again

That’s just a sample of one
They have all sizes and most are cheaper
I have to use a thin walled socket on lug nuts on my wheels for the truck

I would think you could get one of those keyboard spray cans that blows very cold compressed air. Use the little red tube and spray around the socket to SHRINK the socket from around the hole....just a thought.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I was under the impression that problem was with the first gen heads and has been corrected.

I would try some penetrating oil on the stuck socket and try to back the plug out. I would not use heat. That will expand the socket.

In this case you either have to find a thin wall deep well socket or take a cheap one to the gringer and take some meat off it to do the sprk plugs.

And that’s why it won’t work. Has to be a snap on
Right. I got the socket out, but the bore is so small I hope I can find a thin wall spark plug socket. I will check snap on tools.
Once I find one we'll see if stripped the threads in the head.