GN1 heads on a stock...

PSID6

How much power would you pick up on a stock long block with out of the box GN1 heads over stock iron any dyno results out there? Say 18 psi stock vs. 18 psi GN1

Don't waste your $$$. Unless you have plans on building a different bottom end someday...get the ported irons. They work well into the 10's.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

PSID6 said:
How much power would you pick up on a stock long block with out of the box GN1 heads over stock iron any dyno results out there? Say 18 psi stock vs. 18 psi GN1

X2 on ported irons. Just did mine, along with a 218, champion intake and 72 tb . Love em

Couldn't just do the heads. You'll see nothing from just that. Have to do the entire top end. What are your goals? How do you intend to use the car? Street/strip? Just street? Heads, cam and intake. When you're done with that, then the turbo, converter, fuel injectors, fuel system (pump, regulator and rails) and ECU will have to be replaced, too. Then headers and dp. There's a lot more then just bolting on new heads. I'd say if you don't have a lot of mileage on the bottom end, then you're okay. I rebuilt the top half of my motor and my bottom end is completely stock. Not one problem with it. Now my bottom end only has 15k on it, but, Ive seen cars with 50k plus rebuilding the top end and are fine. For my rebuild I used the GN1 head assembly with full competition porting, ported stock intake, 218-212 billet cam, roller lifters, chromoly push rods, TD roller rockers 1.65, 7/16", SS 3 bolt Champion headers and a 3 inch dp with a Turbonetics Racegate wastegate. I also upgraded to an xfi system with an Aeromatic external fuel pump rated for 1000hp and 60lbs injectors. Stock bottom end is good for 500 plus hp. I would probably only be concerned if there were a lot of miles on it. And in that case I wouldn't do it. But, if your bottom end is fresh you'll beat up your tranny long before you break something on the bottom. I rarely drive my care, and what little I do I've already beat up my tranny. With only 18psi on 93 pump gas with a 60-1Turbonetics turbo it made 452rwhp on dyno. Dale Cherry @ Injection Connection. I didn't even bother with an E85 tune for two reasons; one, injectors are to small and two, because I want more hp and that combo won't give me what I want. Even if I turn up the boost. Talk to Nick Micale @ ArizonaGN or Dale Cherry @ Injection Connection. They'll get you going. Nick Micale is building a TA aluminum stroker for me now. Good luck with your decision.

99% of the cars on here will never need to change the ECU, fuel rail, or headers. 90% of header changes are due to cracking, not power. You don't need to change ECU until you searching for mid/low 9's. Stock fuel rail will go mid/low9's and uncracked stock headers will go low 10's.
Dont scare new guys into thinking they need $3500 worth of parts they will never need.
Ported irons, ported intake, convertor, inj, turbo, downpipe, intercooler, and tranny will get most anyone on here faster then they ever will want to go. Most can shorten list to turbo, DP,intercooler, inj, convertor and tranny and still get into the low 11's.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Champion headers are new to me. Who made them ? Did Champion Racing Heads make headers also ?

The TA's are nice. I thought that he may have something I didn't know about.

id also like to know the answer to this, Some one must have done this ????

If you did cam, intercooler, and turbo along with the heads and had no inlet restrictions or ex restrictions 100-125hp assuming you can feed it and it's dialed in.

Well I'm at the point of having to do something I have a T63,CAS V4 slic,power plate 50lb injectors 2800 stalljust wondering if the extra 600 is worth the money over ported irons. Just wanting more power without having to turn up the boost wanting to keep it a pump gas only car.

Well I'm at the point of having to do something I have a T63,CAS V4 slic,power plate 50lb injectors 2800 stalljust wondering if the extra 600 is worth the money over ported irons. Just wanting more power without having to turn up the boost wanting to keep it a pump gas only car.
Easy answer: NO! Ported irons are capable of serious performance.

PSID6 said:
Just wanting more power without having to turn up the boost wanting to keep it a pump gas only car.

Personally if I was building around running only 18psi I'd buy a race ported set of heads and custom cam accordingly to raise the operating range of the engine far above where it is with the stock heads, small cam. This will allow a lot more mass flow potential without increasing cylinder pressure which is what you need. Ive made well over 500whp with 17-18psi on my engine with fast ramp cam and gn1 race ported heads. Well within 93 octane fuel limitations. Depending on the parts used more or less hp could be made. One thing for certain is that using a set of heads like I described and raising the engines operating rpm will potentially make a lot of power. It's very possible to achieve this without adding in a bunch of overlap also. Duration at higher lifts will be increased a lot while overlap is minimized for the lobes selected.