GN won’t start need help

TURBOKIDTRAE

I recently bought a 87 gn one owner car 97xxx original miles hasn’t been started in 10 plus years and still won’t start so far I installed new fuel pump new spark plugs and wires new coil pack still no start it turns over like it wants to start but won’t unless starter fluid is sprayed inside the manifold fuel pressure is good as fuel is at the rails when I remove The cap to check and see if its circulating plz let me know if you have had this problem and what to do

KC87

Just a thought, if it actually will run with the starting fluid maybe after sitting for ten years the injectors are all gummed up and need cleaning or replacement. If original they'd need replacement anyway.

TURBOKIDTRAE

Just a thought, if it actually will run with the starting fluid maybe after sitting for ten years the injectors are all gummed up and need cleaning or replacement. If original they'd need replacement anyway.
That’s what I was thinking and will be my next purchase

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
Fuel filter needs replacing. I would get the injectors cleaned. The return line could be gunked up too. Here's the No Start Tree: No Start Tree

Hunter Dog

If the ig module/coil pack are for sure no longer an issue, Cam and injectors would be my next thought of where to look. I am sure you confirmed after replacing the ig module the wires are back on the corresponding plugs. Easy if working in a dark area to miss one.

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Check ALL fuses.
Noid lite the injs, jump a plug wire to ground.
If the above tests check out, & as mentioned, the injs could full of crud. 10 yrs is plenty of time for the shitty gas we have, to plug them up.
What's the part number on the injs?
"fuel pressure is good as fuel is at the rails when I remove The cap to check and see if its circulating."
Invalid test. 5psi will make it 'piss" out of the rail. Use a gauge to verify. Until you get that info, you are pretty much guessing.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
I guess the first question should be, why was the car put away for 10 years? Where there issues with it? You may be chasing the ghost of 2010.

GNONYX

Thanks everybody got it running changed fuel filter and injectors fired rite up
I totally agreed with SCOOBY DOO, you took a big gamble of not first removing the cam sensor and oil prime the engine. Instead of having a engine running you would be doing an engine rebuild.
One thing I have learn about this site and other TR site, many mentors knows what their talking about and can definitely save you money, headaches, and frustrations.

TURBOKIDTRAE

I totally agreed with SCOOBY DOO, you took a big gamble of not first removing the cam sensor and oil prime the engine. Instead of having a engine running you would be doing an engine rebuild.
One thing I have learn about this site and other TR site, many mentors knows what their talking about and can definitely save you money, headaches, and frustrations.
I did that also I knew I was having fuel issues just didn’t know what kind sir

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
you took a big gamble of not first removing the cam sensor and oil prime the engine. Instead of having a engine running you would be doing an engine rebuild.
It may not be "too late" for that to happen. Beat on it, and then get out the fav tool, for working on the TR's.....
The engine hoist!o_O

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
Curious why priming in this case would be needed. He's obviously been cranking it over a lot trying to get it started. That should be equivalent to trying to prime the pump externally.
With an engine sitting that long it usually loses its prime. Cranking it dry will pound the bearings into tin foil.