Gn wheel repaint

SFI Cutlass

Spent a few hours over the weekend painting my wheels on my GN. The black was chipping was faded and in some areas rusted so I wanted to share the before and after pics of the wheels. I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome but not so much with the amount of hours I've spent masking and I only completed two wheels!!! Let me know what your guys thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4938.JPG
    IMG_4938.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_4936.JPG
    IMG_4936.JPG
    846.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4943.JPG
    IMG_4943.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4944.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 256
Turned out really nice! Very noticeable improvement. I can imagine how much of a pain it was masking those. This is a project that has been on my mind also for some time. Did you use a satin or flat black paint?

Turned out really nice! Very noticeable improvement. I can imagine how much of a pain it was masking those. This is a project that has been on my mind also for some time. Did you use a satin or flat black paint?
Thanks!!! Yeah the masking was not fun that's for sure. If you ever tried to tackle this job yourself get your self the 3m 1/8 blue vinyl fine line tape and some 1/4 regular masking tape cause that's what you'll need to mask in those tight areas. As for the paint I used duplicolor self etching primer and the sem trim paint not sure if it's a semi gloss or satin but looks nice and it's very durable!

Attachments

• IMG_4963.JPG
    IMG_4963.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 126
Looking good , new caps and lugs will make them pop. I have repainted dozens of wheels and working on a stencil kit to make it easier.

Looking good , new caps and lugs will make them pop. I have repainted dozens of wheels and working on a stencil kit to make it easier.
Waiting on the new lug nuts they should be here later this week and out with the rusted ones. A stencil would have been nice to have.

I was about to put a post on here if anyone has done this job yet....now I know. Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks!!! Yeah the masking was not fun that's for sure. If you ever tried to tackle this job yourself get your self the 3m 1/8 blue vinyl fine line tape and some 1/4 regular masking tape cause that's what you'll need to mask in those tight areas. As for the paint I used duplicolor self etching primer and the sem trim paint not sure if it's a semi gloss or satin but looks nice and it's very durable!
Looks good!

Did the same thing to my aftermarket wheels (Weld Vittese). I used what you used. Same stuff, tape, exacto knife, and the same paint. I spent all night per wheel. It took me 4 full nights to complete the work. I did the masking while sitting watching TV in the winter at my coffee table.

I need to very slightly touch them up every now and then. Spray the paint in a cup and dab it on the chips with an artis's paint brush.

A real pain in the ass. But they look damned good!

ive never masked them
spray what you want black and then wipe the oversrpay off the chrome with a folded rag and lacquer thinner

ive never masked them
spray what you want black and then wipe the oversrpay off the chrome with a folded rag and lacquer thinner
Sounds a little messy. But effective!

I don't think this would have worked on my aftermarket 3 piece wheels with a million fasteners to clean around and between. But for stockers? Why not?