GN vs Chevelle

chadly

I recently remembered a race I entered into in the late 90’s. This may be one of the only real races I’ve done on the street. My car was completely stock at that time. I was living in MI and some guys down the road I had gotten to know had a couple of Chevelle’s. They were beautiful cars that rarely saw the road. The father-son were in the garage almost every night detailing and playing with the cars. I asked how fast the 1970 was and the father told me it had never run the track but he figured it was in the 11.80’s range. He took me for a ride and while I had never been to the track either I knew my car was faster. I also new I was probably a high 13’s car. Later in the summer I asked if he wanted to run the cars and he agreed. There was a dead end road just around the corner that had recently been repaved and that is where we would race. Another party trailed along to watch the little 6 get its butt beat. On three honks we were gone and I was pulling immediately. By the time we hit 1/8 mark I was a good 4-5 cars ahead and the gap was growing. Next thing I see him hit the brakes and pull over with the hood up. He and the trailing car were deep under the hood when I came. Checking every wire as something was wrong the car just did not run right he said. I lived there for a few more years and our friendship grew but I don’t think we ever spoke of that race again and he never requested a rematch. Funny how those things happen.

Chad

Do you remember which big block the 70 had and if it was stock?

Even the mean spirited LS6 454's couldn't do much better than mid 13's on street tires.

If it was a 396, he was lucky to break into the low 14's.

good kill!

A bunch of us So Cal TB guys did a cruise a couple weeks back down the PCH and ended up surrounding this real nice convertable 69 Chevelle 396. A couple of the very low 11 second guys did a quick run right in front of him and after seeing that he seemed happy to remain very still and not make any sudden movements around the other 8 TB's surrounding him. One by one we all cruised by him...he looked very tense...he knew he was a fish among sharks...

A couple of the very low 11 second guys did a quick run right in front of him and after seeing that he seemed happy to remain very still and not make any sudden movements around the other 8 TB's surrounding him. One by one we all cruised by him...he looked very tense...he knew he was a fish among sharks...

Come down there Killer, now you consider yourself 11's capable's uhg, well you aint there until you got a time slip on your hand that shows 11's. ;)

Come down there Killer, now you consider yourself 11's capable's uhg, well you aint there until you got a time slip on your hand that shows 11's. ;)

How you doing, Harold?

Nah...I figure I'm in the low 12's... ;) with some tuning, good tires and some good driving....maybe the high 11's. I'm going to try and go to the next street legals at Cali speedway to find out for sure.

It was Spoolfool2 and Ralph who scared that SS396....You were ridding shotgun with Spoolfool2 weren't you?

Did you get your trans fix'd yet...wanna see you get deeper in the 10's next time out.:biggrin:

Trans is fixed waiting on the convertor now to get back from Dusty, the car went 10.93 even with the car shifting at 5k between shifts, this was due to a to tight of a converter, which tells me that at the same boost level (24psi) with the trans shifting right between 5,400 to 5,600 it should go 10.7 /10.6 easy. :D but nontheless i can't even push it anymore I have no cage and would hate to get kick out the after the 1st pass. :frown:

The car had headers and some 202 heads and a bigger carburetor but other than that it was basically stock. I was thinking it was 350 motor. Did the 1970 not come with that option?

Speaking of times last fall I made it to the local 1/8 mile and I ran 7.6 at a little over 90mph. That converts to roughly 11.93 in the quarter. If we ran the race now it would be real ugly.

Yes, they made SS 350's also.

If the guy thinks headers a big carb and camel hump heads on a 350 get you 11's He just doesn't know any better and is even a bad bench racer.

An SS350 is good for low 15's. With the heads and headers, he probably has a very high 14 second car.

202 heads were good heads back in the 60's and 70's but today they're holding him back compared to a good set of AFR's for example.

You squashed him cuz you shoulda.
;-)

Yes, they made SS 350's also.

If the guy thinks headers a big carb and camel hump heads on a 350 get you 11's He just doesn't know any better and is even a bad bench racer.

An SS350 is good for low 15's. With the heads and headers, he probably has a very high 14 second car.

202 heads were good heads back in the 60's and 70's but today they're holding him back compared to a good set of AFR's for example.

You squashed him cuz you shoulda.
;-)

they didnt make an SS with a 350 until 71 or 72 though. From 1966-1970, the bare minimum for the SS was a 396(402 in 70).

they didnt make an SS with a 350 until 71 or 72 though. From 1966-1970, the bare minimum for the SS was a 396(402 in 70).

Right you are and I now have a new lump on my brain.
Thanks!:biggrin:
Chevelle SS Identification

But I ran back through this thred....and I'm not sure where I started thinking he was talking about an SS...I'm the only one who mentioned it...so...my bad.

It was probably when I saw the claimed 11.80's the Chevelle owner was bragging about that I figured it musta been a big block and musta been an SS.

:redface:

I got a A-body dude wanting to put it on me too... bad thing is its a 469 cid Ported aluminum heads Victor with 1000HP holley and turned mid 10's last year... Those old V8's are easy to make 600-650 hp with anymore not that hard when after-market heads are available so cheap.... Makes me wonder if I got into the GN thing about 10 years to late lol....

Me I'm just hoping for a solid 13 this year.