GN Vs 03 Cobra

mattmoto441

I had a ****ing good race night!

Well I was out with the cobra just cruising and I stop at the gas station and this GN pulls in and I have seen this car b4 and seen it run at the track also so I knew that it was FAST!! Well he pulls in and me and my dad where just talking (my dad was in my GT). He ask what's done to the GT and if we wanna run um? I say that the you will KILL the GT so don't waste your gas with it but you wanna race my cobra? He says sure. But I say can we meet up In a 1/2 hour ?? He says why?? I say I see you have DR's on the back of here and IM not gonna hook um up with out mine. He says OK sure so I hall ass to my shop and swap my DR's on and then go and find him to line then up. Well we head out to the country roads and lined them up.

The GN mods = bigger turbo @ 25 psi, all bolt ons, Alcohol injection, DR's and lots more ran ET's of mid 11s

1st run we line them up and my dad was the Flagler lol, well i hook good outta the hole and have him by a car in 1st then in 2nd he pulls up to my door. Then as soon as i hit 3rd i start pulling on him and have him by 2-3 cars by 110ish

2nd run he says he didn't get boosted off the line so i say you do the 3 honk when you are ready, so he honks and me and him spin outta the hole BUT he has me by a car 1 1/2 through 1st and 2nd then i hit 3rd and start pulling and pass him 90 ish and have him my 2 cars by 110ish

Well we pull over on a side road and he tells me his mods and he runs mid to high 11s and we talk for a bit and him and my dad knew each outher from years back (this guy was prolly 40ish) and my dad knew that it was a hell of a runner. Well we BS for a bit and swap emails and shake hand and went home.

For me knowing the car and seeing it at the track i was thinking that i was gonna have to chalk up my 1st loss but the Terminator pulled through for me and i had my best race yet

also 2day I went out to look at the launch marks and here is a pic of how i was killing the MT DR's and him on his,

my marks are the right lane and his are the left

Attachments

• 100_30641.jpg
    100_30641.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 622
Welcome,now go tell all your buddies how well a 20yr old V6 did against a worked over V8...:) :)
Nice marks on the pavment...

These V-6 turbo's are amazing.I kick myself in the rump for letting that one get away i could have had.

you listed the GN's mods. what are yours, a stock cobra is not beating a 11 sec GN. I like thw marks.

with my old setup i was putting 449rwhp 466rwtq and that just a pulley @ 11.5-12psi catback, K&N Filter and dynotune but i should be a bit more then that now

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbYOGdO4cK0[/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• dynosheet.jpg
    dynosheet.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 565
Man, those GN's are some nasty cars.

I can't wait until I get mine. :D

Glad to know you guys had fun.

OK, Here is a picture I have from the same place. On the left you can see the Buick with the auto did a powerstall in one place to heat his tires , note the stationary markings, my Cobra did a small one (traction conterol was on) Then as i jumped from the clutch to the brake I moved forward and stopped, then did a little John Force jump. When the cars left, The Buicks rear went to the left as the tires broke, the front was pointed right, when he shifted the the car momentarily went straight then kind of drifted opposite.The Cobra also drifted one way then the other.

also from what i was told the car was hooking good untill he came out of the lag and then hitting the revlimiter going to 2nd and hit boost and broke loose again

100_3062.jpg

Sounds like a close run and that is really cool! :biggrin:
It is like a boxing match where a heavyweight fights a middle weight and wins by judge's decision in the 12th round. :cool:

There are some fast cars out there, and, much respect.
Pound for pound though ........... it is a different story.
I would have thought that a mighty V8, dyno tuned, 2003 technology, would walk all over that little flat tappet V6!

Racing is racing, but face it, you post a kill like this on a Buick board ............ well, I hope you have your flame suit on. :cool:
Kind of like walking alone though "12th ward" at 2:00 am, armed with a pocket knife and looking for some one to comment how nice that knife is. :biggrin:

Sounds like a close run and that is really cool! :biggrin:
It is like a boxing match where a heavyweight fights a middle weight and wins by judge's decision in the 12th round. :cool:

There are some fast cars out there, and, much respect.
Pound for pound though ........... it is a different story.
I would have thought that a mighty V8, dyno tuned, 2003 technology, would walk all over that little flat tappet V6!

Racing is racing, but face it, you post a kill like this on a Buick board ............ well, I hope you have your flame suit on. :cool:
Kind of like walking alone though "12th ward" at 2:00 am, armed with a pocket knife and looking for some one to comment how nice that knife is. :biggrin:

well the way i see it is fast is fast i dont care what year the car was made it runs 11s on the stock longblock and from what he said the car is around 3500ish race weight and my car race weight is 4000lbs, But i didnt come here to start crap i came here to maybe get some more info on a car that i know little about. I was hopeing to get some info on how much HP you guys think that car should be making?

well the way i see it is fast is fast i dont care what year the car was made it runs 11s on the stock longblock and from what he said the car is around 3500ish race weight and my car race weight is 4000lbs, But i didnt come here to start crap i came here to maybe get some more info on a car that i know little about. I was hopeing to get some info on how much HP you guys think that car should be making?

Ok, different story .......
Remember, it is not all about HP.
HP is for bragging rights, dyno queens and marketing campaigns.
As far as how much HP he is making, hard to say.

HP is a function of RPM and torque.
This is why it is possible to have a 300HP car beat a 500 HP car in an 1/8 mile.

Good Kill and nice car BTW. I'd love to own an 03 Cobra convertible. Those Cars are amazing. With just intake, Cat back and pulley you get 450 RWHP. :eek:

When I said intake I meant a K&N air filter. I am still running the stock intake from the airfilter to the intake ports, stock untouched longblock, stock exhaust out to the Ford racing catbacks. Only real mods are a pully swap, a bigger heat exchanger, and a dyno tune. I am also only running 281 CI. So even though it is a V8 it is not a monster CI engine. I kinda think the GN and the Terminator are similar in that they both use small engines and big boost. I think the Terminator is the GNx of this generation.

Good Kill and nice car BTW. I'd love to own an 03 Cobra convertible. Those Cars are amazing. With just intake, Cat back and pulley you get 450 RWHP. :eek:
I just happen to have one of those for sale....right down to the mods and hp your talking about, except mine is a triple black '04 Cobra Vert.....ha! It's fun owning both a Cobra and a GN, but one of 'ems gotta go.....

although 281 CI sounds small...these engines are HUGE the heads look like they should come off a big block car! With that being said I would love to have an 03' or 04' cobra...maybe one day :rolleyes: haha anyone want to trade? :D

although 281 CI sounds small...these engines are HUGE the heads look like they should come off a big block car! With that being said I would love to have an 03' or 04' cobra...maybe one day :rolleyes: haha anyone want to trade? :D

lol ya they are large in size but not in ci

4-1.jpg

One OTHER Correction, a Stock Cobra is nowhere NEAR 4000lbs (unless the Driver weighs 500Lls:eek: )....more like 3500...now a GT500, YEA thats 4000Lbs....