GN spanks new BMW M5

GNX Jerry

Yesterday I took a drive from Sarasota FL down to Naples to see my sister for lunch. We meet halfway as she lives in Ft. Lauderdale. It's 100 miles each way and I bring my parents from their nursing home in my daily driver, Dad's (( Park Avenue)). It's a reliable car, but basic V6 lacks real acceleration.

SO,when I get home I need to unwind. How, after 200 mile afternoon? I take my mint '87 GN for cruise. I put about 50 miles on just around town and local.
Anyhow, it is now almost 8PM and dark out. I'm at a stoplight when I see the cool outline of round headlights pull up next to me. It's a black BMW.
When I'm first in line at the light, well, we all know how fun it is too leave everyone behind. I really never get into it much more than 3,500 RPM... just enough for a quick jump to the next light.
Well, the light changes green, and I take off casual and quick like I like. And then I hear the BMW engine rev up and try to pass. So, I had to push it up tothe 4,000 RPM range or so. He never got his front bumper passed my GN emblems. I'm very cautious on the street ,so as soon as 60 MPH was soon approaching, I back off. Anyway the next street light is where all the Sheriff deputies come out of. So I see, the BMW at the light as we now encounter some traffic ahead.
It was a BMW M5. This made me feel pretty good, since I know they cost just under $100 grand and have a V10 with just over 500 HP. I'm sure the driver didn't expect my BUICK GN to give him a run for his money. It was most likely the element of surprise. Also, I'm sure on the highway the GN like mine totally stock would have a hard time racing the BMW.
But, I never push the limit if traffic is near. Safety is no accident!

As I turned off to go home, I gave a wave through my moonroof. Unfortunately we both had tinted windows so I didn't see their face.
But mine certainly was smiling :)

Good one!:biggrin:

Must be nice to have good weather most of the time to be able to go out and cruise around when you want.You can really get the most out of our cars there in Florida.:smile:

I wouldn't play with them on the freeway. I've seen a few at the track. GN's run low 12's at about 110mph, The BMW's run 12's at like 125+ mph. They're def a top end runner

The 10 Cly M5's are great after 70-80 MPH they flex their muscle. While they do have 500 HP they only have 386 Ft-lbs of torque. It takes a little while to get them moving but they pull hard on the top end. I am unsure why BMW did not up the torque...maybe it has to do with the SMG gearbox they come with?