GN prices are going up

Originally posted by TClassic
While it's Certainly True that the GN's are going up, guess what:

The T's and TTA's are NOT GOING UP with them!!!!! Sad but true..after selling my low mile Limited for Peanut's, compared to a Similar low mile GN, I had ~18K to spend and REALLY wanted a MINT MUSEUM QUALITY GN, but with 18K that wasn't happenning, and I've been looking EVERYWHERE since at least last November

So I finally setteled on a Mint TTA instead.......

I still do not understand why the TTA's, especially the Hardtops do not bring more money due to their low production numbers. :confused:

- Dave

Originally posted by fast86gn
Over 20K of them in '87 but only 5500 in '86!

But still even if you add all 4 years together 84-87, that is not a lot of GN's. Just think of the population.

The '87 GNs pull the most money because of it being the last production year. When I was looking I did some research and all the book values had the '87 listed at a higher value.

What I found when looking for a GN was that everyone who was selling one thought they had something special and wanted top dollar for it. The cars are special, but people thought junk ones should bring $6k. I looked at one that had leaking t-tops, dents in every panel, rust on the bottom of the doors and the rockers were borderline parts cars and the person wanted $4k. Another one needed paint and some body work and the t-tops fixed and he wanted $10k. The price on these varies greatly and you need to shop wisely or you could end up spending too much for junk.

Later,

Steve.

Originally posted by davege
I still do not understand why the TTA's, especially the Hardtops do not bring more money due to their low production numbers. :confused:
- Dave
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dave:FWIW & IMHO:
I'm doubtful that I am qualified to respond on this issue, but,
When the cars were brand new the GN's were more popular,
even new the TTAs were not a hot seller. Perhaps the fact that the TTAs were 150% more than a comparable equipped GN were part of the problem. However, one would think that alone would make them more valueable than they are now. The "sinister and evil" look was in style in the late '80's, it seems, and black definitely conveys that expression. How many people like the color white as compared to the color black might also have had some bearing on selling impact then and now. I will admit that the TTAs have quite a few attributes (improvements) over the GNs, but the "Buck Rogers" looks of the interior of the TTA just doesn't convey the image of a late model '80's factory high performance vehicle, and lastly, I know a lot of people that still to this day consider the exterior of the TTA, hardtop or t-top unattractrive. Also, it it really hard to compare the value of TTA's compared to GNs because GNs are a lot more in numbers, and even thought one would think that fact would help increase the value of the TTA, it also lends to stabilized values of the GN and very unstablilized selling prices on the TTAs. Very hard to currently judge the value of a hardtop TTA, even in museum quality and condition when the last known sold were yours and Deans. The selling cycle, time between sales, and quantity of sales guide and establish the values. Just my $.02 before taxes here. Sorry for rthe long post, too.

Originally posted by bogie1
I paid 17K+ for my GN new in 1986. That is at least 34K in today's money. I would be lucky to get 8K for it today. Enjoy it, drive it, race it and be proud of it but unless it is a very low mileage GN and you got it for nothing, It's never going to be worth what a Hemi Cuda convertable is.:) Buy Land.:D

No it will never be like a Hemi Cuda convertable, but I bought mine for 16K and I can guarantee it would bring more than that today. Absolutely - enjoy it, that's why you bought it, but realize it's appreciating.

If you say you have lost value on your car, I can only imagine it is because the car needs attention. Otherwise you should not be in that bad of shape.

higher prices

I think Barrett Jackson has had some influence on the prices going up. I'm pretty sure I heard them say the next desireable musclecars are going to be the turbo buicks. :eek: :eek:

Re: higher prices

Originally posted by clv8s10
I think Barrett Jackson has had some influence on the prices going up. I'm pretty sure I heard them say the next desireable musclecars are going to be the turbo buicks. :eek: :eek:

They are definitely desired. I have gone to the gas station after a good wash and wax and have had people ask me if I was selling it and make offers. They are just not common to see in some areas. I actually saw one yesterday on the way home and it was the 2nd or 3rd in the last year. I see 10+ C5s/C6s a day and have 5 mustangs on my block alone.

Re: Re: higher prices

Originally posted by Marc87GN
They are definitely desired. I have gone to the gas station after a good wash and wax and have had people ask me if I was selling it and make offers.

Hey Marc87GN, Can you send those intrested buyers my way. I guess my 22k miles GN is a bargian at $15k.

Re: Re: Re: higher prices

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
Hey Marc87GN, Can you send those intrested buyers my way. I guess my 22k miles GN is a bargian at $15k.

Come to Long Island and you would have no problem selling it. Wow, 22K miles for 15K, I will ask a friend of mine if he is interested.

Re: Re: Re: higher prices

Originally posted by littlesixsteve

You should be able to get way more than $15k for such a low mileage car. I was asking $12.5k for mine w/ 82k on ticker. The body was damn near flawless w/ fresh paint. The car also had a new PTS trans, 9X11 covertor, 3" downpipe, dual exhaust, injectors, 3" MAF pipe, RJC plate and 37# injectors. I got $11.5k w/o much trouble. If I would've held out, I could've gotten my asking price, but I was more motivated to sell than get the extra grand.

In my research of these cars over the past couple of years, it's the condition of the body that appears to drive the price. That's what sold mine. People didn't seem to care about the upgrades, which were equally important in my mind. I would rather buy a higher mileage car w/ a flawless body than a lower mileage car that needs paint.

Later,

Steve.

"If you say you have lost value on your car, I can only imagine it is because the car needs attention. Otherwise you should not be in that bad of shape."

Lieu,
I have owned it for 19 years but not as a collector. I have only averaged 7157 miles for each year of ownership. (136,000).
As you can see from the picture it is mint.
I had a 6 month body work marathon done to it. stripped to bare metal all blems fixed, then primed, base black paint, then multi clear coats. 3X under coat, new headliner. Interior is mint because I kept it in seat covers from the first week I owned it.
Mechanical. New PTS Xtreme S/S trans, new starter, windshield wiper motor, fuel punp. hot wire, AFPR, PTE front mount IC, 50# inj, impala MAF, CPT65 BB turbo, Be-cool Rad, ram fans, TRans + Extender, New timing chain, front cover, gears, oil pump, JW Wheel SFI flex plate, 3" ATR DP + SS exhaust. RJC PP, Razor's PAC ALKY, 14"K+N Air filter,Gready Profec II spec B boost control,Scanmaster, New stereo.
Well when I said I paid 17+ K new which = 34K in todays dollars, I forgot to include the 10K+ I put in the last 2 years in the above improvements.
that makes for $44,000 in todays money.
I have yet to see a GN with 136,00 miles in mint shape sell for more than 8K on EBAY. That is where I was getting my figures from.
BTW if I was offered 44K for my car I would walk away because there is more than money tied up in this car, it is part of the history of my life, and unless I needed a new liver and was broke I wouldn't sell it. And even then I might just have them bury me in it.
:D
These Turbo Regal cars have evoked more passion than any other car I have ever seen. To us owners they are more than a car, they are a body part. I hope they appreaciate for my kids sake because I won't sell mine in my lifetime.

Picture of my baby

Attachments

• $$gn.jpg
    $$gn.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 377
I paid 17K+ for my GN new in 1986. That is at least 34K in today's money. I would be lucky to get 8K for it today. Enjoy it, drive it, race it and be proud of it but unless it is a very low mileage GN and you got it for nothing, It's never going to be worth what a Hemi Cuda convertable is.:) Buy Land.:D

Maybe not 34K but your way under estimating your car or it needs some work:confused:

I bought my GN in 1996 and paid $8500.00. Even though I have put a lot into the car and probably have in it than it's worth my bottom dollar would be 12K and the car has 182K on it, of course most everything has been rebuilt.

Attachments

• mycar1.jpg
    mycar1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 332
lookin good Dave!!
I think the folks that bought them used have a leg up on the original owners as far as return of equity.

appraisel

bought my 87 gn in 2000 for 17k with only 2700 miles on it and it was appraised at $22.5,now with only 3000 miles on it, it`s probrably worth $27 easy

Hey guys, just saw this post so I thought I would post a reply. I went in today and got my appraisal on my car. I took it to Klemme Klassic Kars for the appraisal. The reason for the appraisal was for insurance purposes. I had Kraig do the appraisal because he is extremely smart about market values of these cars. He looked at it and said that it was the nicest National he has ever seen. I wish I knew how to scan this paper and post it. Anyways, I recieved an excellent score and he rated the car at #2 and said that there is really no #1 cars out there. He appraised my car at $22K. I asked him to explain it a little to me and he said that these cars are going up at a rate of 15% per year on average and for the nice, original, lo mileage cars, and they are easy to sell. Just my two cents!!!!!! -----Jeremy

yup, you said the magic words---Low milage original.

Low mileage originals will lead the way. However, remember they will pull prices up just like a restored 69 camaro will fetch less than an original. They all go up and down together.

No different from real estate in many regards. Your 3 bedroom 2,000 sq. ft house is worth more when it's next door to the 5 BR 3,000 Sq ft model.