GN 1 Performance extreme radiator fitment & oil cooler issues

lost2a6

What's the trick to installing the GN 1 Performance extreme radiator? Mine is hitting the middle top tab of the core support and the top trans cooler fitting is hitting the A/C condenser. I can cut the tab on the core support but the fitting hitting the condenser will still not let it go far enough forward for the top plate to bolt up. Now, for you guys that are thinking about buying this radiator, PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE SIZE OF THE ENGINE OIL COOLER HOLES!!! IT COMES WITH HOLES THAT ARE LESS THAN 1/4''. THE FACTORY HOLES ARE A LITTLE OVER 3/8", THIS WILL STARVE THE ENGINE OF OIL!!!!! Needless to say, I'm not impressed with this radiator, especially after shelling out close to $900 for this piece! I also purchased their front mount intercooler and had to cut the center brace that goes from the core support to the grill. Why should this be acceptable to cut on our cars just to make aftermarket parts fit?:mad::mad::mad:

Bought an ALRADCO radiator. Dropped right into place & fit like a glove.

I do not understand why so many try to buy cheap & end up with a product that doesn't work properly. They then spend untold number of hours & cut up their car to try & make it fit.

:confused: :banghead:

PS. RJC FMIC fits perfect also. Only modification required is two small screw holes for the lower mounts.

Bought an ALRADCO radiator. Dropped right into place & fit like a glove.

I do not understand why so many try to buy cheap & end up with a product that doesn't work properly. They then spend untold number of hours & cut up their car to try & make it fit.

:confused: :banghead:

PS. RJC FMIC fits perfect also. Only modification required is two small screw holes for the lower mounts.
I agree with the cheap statement, however to me $900 for a radiator and fans isn't exactly what I would call cheap. I had a question with the RJC FMIC, called Jason and left a message, he never called me back so that's why I went with the GN 1 FMIC. I helped my brother install RJC's exhaust on his WE4 car, and that exhaust system didn't fit worth a crap, so I was also afraid that his FMIC would be the same.

Wow sorry to hear of this. I just installed an F body rad for $150 brand new. Mind you it doesn't have the oil cooler but I've read so many guys doing away with the cooler with no issues, plus I'm in a cooler climate. So I decided to go this route. Dropped in perfect.

I'm sorry about your fitment issues...and that's why I stick to as much stock junk as possible. We all must do as much homework as possible before purchasing. Do a search for parts that fit or don't...and you'll get your answer real quick. The other is to post up here and say you're thinking of doing an upgrade...and ask for how well the part fits. I run the F Body rad setup with twin fans with no issues. I have TR Customs Megacooler FMIC...and the only fitment issue is the top pipe sits a tad high...and some muscle is required to get the coupler over the TB. Prolly best to contact the vendor for a refund. I know packing it up is a nightmare...but it maybe your only recourse. Maybe some of the other guys have had the same issue...and give a few pointers to get it to fit. Good luck.

First question everyone should ask...

WHERE IS THE PRODUCT MANUFACTURED?

Insist upon "Made in the USA" !

I have the F body radiator on my personal car with the dual fans and it just barley keeps it cool enough with the A/C on in traffic and I also have a stock location intercooler. This car that I'm working on is a customers car and going with a FMIC. It gets really hot here in the summer so I didn't want him having any issues with it running hot what so ever.

I have the F body radiator on my personal car with the dual fans and it just barley keeps it cool enough with the A/C on in traffic and I also have a stock location intercooler. This car that I'm working on is a customers car and going with a FMIC. It gets really hot here in the summer so I didn't want him having any issues with it running hot what so ever.
Damn, must get hot! At that point, just stay home or move to Cali :D

I have had customers bring in or choose certain radiators, some are easier than others to install but in the end it still must be put in.

With that said I'll give you a little help where as others will give you grief.

This radiator will require the radiator support tab cut off so it does not stick out, the tab is under the radiator top cover right where the spring sits for the hood. The second item is trim down the rubber isolators so to set over/fit the radiator better. The third is the condenser line bracket, you can either remove it, trim it down and reinstall or just leave it off. Either way it's a large radiator and a very tight fit, also watch the radiator support clearance on drivers side corner as it may rub and need a little trimming/massaging.

First question everyone should ask...

WHERE IS THE PRODUCT MANUFACTURED?

Insist upon "Made in the USA" !

I agree that we shoiuld support our American brothers, however, it shouldn't matter where a part is made. If a part is advertised to fit our cars, it should fit.

I'm sorry about your fitment issues...and that's why I stick to as much stock junk as possible. We all must do as much homework as possible before purchasing. Do a search for parts that fit or don't...and you'll get your answer real quick. The other is to post up here and say you're thinking of doing an upgrade...and ask for how well the part fits. I run the F Body rad setup with twin fans with no issues. I have TR Customs Megacooler FMIC...and the only fitment issue is the top pipe sits a tad high...and some muscle is required to get the coupler over the TB. Prolly best to contact the vendor for a refund. I know packing it up is a nightmare...but it maybe your only recourse. Maybe some of the other guys have had the same issue...and give a few pointers to get it to fit. Good luck.

Yes, I rated your post disagree because the OP is having trouble installing the part he purchased. Maybe he thinks he misinterpreted the instructions? Maybe he thinks the car is an oddball?
Maybe he did the research and this is the option he liked best.

He's not asking about radiator options or opinions.

It seems to me that not having this radiator = a non post, yes including mine.

Sorry, sometimes I get frustrated to see 13 posts and only one of them useful.

Last edited:
I have had customers bring in or choose certain radiators, some are easier than others to install but in the end it still must be put in.

With that said I'll give you a little help where as others will give you grief.

This radiator will require the radiator support tab cut off so it does not stick out, the tab is under the radiator top cover right where the spring sits for the hood. The second item is trim down the rubber isolators so to set over/fit the radiator better. The third is the condenser line bracket, you can either remove it, trim it down and reinstall or just leave it off. Either way it's a large radiator and a very tight fit, also watch the radiator support clearance on drivers side corner as it may rub and need a little trimming/massaging.

Thanks! This is the info that I was looking for.

I agree that we shoiuld support our American brothers, however, it shouldn't matter where a part is made. If a part is advertised to fit our cars, it should fit.

Yes, I rated your post as dumb because the OP is having trouble installing the part he purchased. Maybe he thinks he misinterpreted the instructions? Maybe he thinks the car is an oddball?
Maybe he did the research and this is the option he liked best.

He's not asking about radiator options or opinions.

It seems to me that not having this radiator = a non post, yes including mine.

Sorry, sometimes I get frustrated to see 13 posts and only one of them useful.
I agree, what instructions? LOL

Is this the 3" or the 2.5" ??

I recently just purchased the 2.5" hence the question. Curious if I'll have the same issues when going to install mine. Sure does look like it will drop right in

I'd send it back. I put a 28" old school 3 core brass radiator on my car. I converted a hot air car, so oil cooler was not going to be a factor either. I bought a pair of dodge intrepid fans, used the wiring relay harness from Caspers. I have $150 at best in my setup. I run a 3.5" FMIC cooler and my car doesn't get over 190*

I get you though, nothing like forking out big cash, then the part needs alot of work to fit. For that much markup?? geesh...

Is this the 3" or the 2.5" ??

I recently just purchased the 2.5" hence the question. Curious if I'll have the same issues when going to install mine. Sure does look like it will drop right in

2.5" fall right in.
Need to make sure you use thread paste (not tape) on all hose connections especially the trans cooler lines.