GN 1 Aluminum heads, recommended spark plugs (22-24 psi)

Mini

I am currently running Autolite 24 plugs in my GN1 aluminum heads and heard they might not be the recommended plug. I haven't noticed an issue but want to run optimal/proper plug. I'm currently running 22 psi with moderate alky and no knock.

Thanks

That is NOT the correct plug for a GN-1 alum head.:eek:

The 24 plug is a short reach plug, Champion recommends a 103 Autolite for street use. At your level, you should be one or 2 steps colder.

The 24 plug is a short reach plug, Champion recommends a 103 Autolite for street use.
20.creation.jpg

Hey Nick, I don't mean to highjack the thread but I was wandering what plugs are recommended for GN1Rs? I am fouling plugs with my combo

I am currently running Autolite 24 plugs in my GN1 aluminum heads and heard they might not be the recommended plug. I haven't noticed an issue but want to run optimal/proper plug. I'm currently running 22 psi with moderate alky and no knock.

Thanks

Ngk r5671a-x
x=heat range. Ngk's numbers are cooler as they go up. Id start with an 8 or 9. I run a 9 for 30 psi.

Plug is usually in stock at o'rileys and advanced auto. About $2.50-$3/each

That is NOT the correct plug for a GN-1 alum head.:eek:

The 24 plug is a short reach plug, Champion recommends a 103 Autolite for street use. At your level, you should be one or 2 steps colder.
I believe Champion instructions that come with the GN1 heads recommend Autolite 104 for Street and Autolite 103 for Race.

I had spoken to Tom at champion not too long ago and he also suggested Autolite 103s. If you dont want Autolites...NGK TR5s for street and u can go colder with NGK TR6's and up for higher boost levels. I'm personally gonna try the NGK TR6ix iridiums to see if the car responds as happy as it was with the regular coppers NGKs. *puts on flamesuit*

I'm running Autolite 103's gapped to 30 on pump gas and alky at low 20's boost, revved it to 6200 with no problem.

Hey Nick, I don't mean to highjack the thread but I was wandering what plugs are recommended for GN1Rs? I am fouling plugs with my combo

Over the years, we have found Autolite racing plugs have given us the best performance and life in high boost situations up to 40 PSI.

The Autolite pug series is AR3931, which is very cold, to an AR3935 which is a hot plug. Personally I run either AR 3933 or AR3934 depending on boost and weather temp.

Also, have NEVER seen a platinum plug work well in any of our turbo applications, and iridiums were even worse! The Denso gave me a few sets to try out and could not even get one pass. :eek:

Nick, Those are "non-projected" tips right? I plan on using the 3933's on my next bonzai pass.

Nick, you run GN1 heads on your car?

Thanks, Kip

No Kip, I use TA heads, but I build and work on cars with Champion alum heads.

The Autolite 103 plugs are a tapered seat, but the AR Autolite series plugs are a washer type that will also work in the Champion heads.

Ok, now I am glad I asked my car has AR 4132's in it. Should I change them, why could they be there? What should I run for my setup? TIA

Many thanks. I put the 104's in, have yet to take it out. Car was on the rich side, hopefully this will clean it up a touch.

The 104's are a hotter plug and good for lower boost, but for racing I run autolite 103's at around 30 thousands gap at around 30 psi boost.

Nick,
Are you sure the Autolite racing plugs listed above are the right part number? Do you use the washer or leave it out? They are not taper seat like the 103 and 104 plugs.

Ed