GM-HiTech Performance Article

thanks for putting my car in the readers rides section acouple yrs ago

004-2.jpg

FYI the next story will be out next week (if you didn't receive the March issue already) with the tuning all squared away. The April issue, out at the end of February, will have track testing as well as coverage of the GS Nats.

Thanks for the heads up Scott. I always appreciated what you Rick and Jim have done for ink on our cars.

Steve

I read the new article today. Is the author of this story (sorry i forget his name) qualified to be writing a story about tuning a turbo Buick? He wrote that porting the wastegate hole on the turbo "helps the turbo spool up and provides better boost control" (that may not be the exact wording as i do not have the mag in front of me rite now). Only the second part is true. The wastegate hole is ported for better boost control, it does nothing to help spool the turbo and anyone who thinks it does shouldnt be writing in a magazine. Not to mention they (Tune Time performance) over ported it causing further problems. ..I dont see how you can have Tim Lynch building a motor on one page, then a few pages later have people who dont even understand porting a wastegate hole??? P.s. Sorry for calling you guys "retards" in a previous post, i felt bad for that afterwards.

Sorry to let you down...again this is a home-built project. Tune Time did not do the porting, only the dyno testing. While you are correct that the reason for porting the wastegate hole is for better boost control, they were having spool-up issues at the time (hence the confusion), which were fixed upon re-installation of the turbo.

The leaking EGR block off plate/gasket on this car was probably due to a cheap block off plate. Try Cottons Performance, they sell a high quality egr block off thats probably 1/4" thick and very nice (i think its actually made by Champion racing but not possitive). Also, the gasket was part of the problem. Just use a high quality permatex. It seems like a small detail but we all know big problems come from intake leaks on a turbo car.

Yep, I believe that issue is fixed now...thanks for the tip, though. Keep in mind that I could have easily omitted some of the mistakes in this story (s), but I have always been a big proponent of the fact that we learn more from our mistakes than we do our victories/success. Our hope was that in showing the process we went through, being completely honest, it would do a greater service to those at home.

Scott I have been a subscriber since 2002 and have enjoyed your magazine in the past years, but lately all the article revolve around LS engines and the new camaro. I understand this is the majority out there but it seems like your magazine ignores most other gm performance engines, it would be nice to see more articles on LT1's, LC2's, sy/ty engines, 4 cyl turbos. You guys need to get back to your roots of more tech articles and less articles on full blown race cars. Thank you for listening. Jim Tutko

Latest story is out with the track test and a few small suspension upgrades. Also in this issue is coverage of the GS Nationals.

Great work GMHTP and making mistakes is part of the process. Making the same one over and over well...........
What I love about these cars is at 25 plus years they are still considered high tech, they were cutting edge at the time.

When I rebuilt my transmission I had it in and out 4 times before I had it right.