Glock users

i am starting training with local aux. police and they require that we carry ( unlike most local depts. ) i have a S&W .357Magnum revolver, now

The best gun to carry is one YOU are comfortable and can hit with. That is by far the most important thing. The S&W revolvers are fine, but I would not recommend their auto's. I know how their design is borderline in strength. Let us know what you decide on. Have fun!

Originally posted by Anthony K
i am starting training with local aux. police and they require that we carry ( unlike most local depts. ) i have a S&W .357Magnum revolver, now and its just a little too heavy to carry IMO. thanks to all you guys for the quick and overwelming response

Check with your department....several have restrictions on which handguns are ok...depending on the action.

Is the Glock 17 OK ??? That is a very broad and open question. Sure it's OK, Depending on it's use and application. A tool is only as good as the person handling it !! Depending on the end results...a blow gun can accomplish the same as the Glock 17 !! IMHO.

Originally posted by Fakeyankee
Is the Glock 17 OK ??? That is a very broad and open question. Sure it's OK, Depending on it's use and application. A tool is only as good as the person handling it !! Depending on the end results...a blow gun can accomplish the same as the Glock 17 !! IMHO.

so according to you its a POS? and in your professional, superior opinion, which is the best all around service pistol/gun? so i should save my money and carry a few rocks and spitballs?

I can't stand the trigger on the Glock.

On-duty I carry a S&W 4506, yep 5" barrel, as we call them nickel-plated vampire killer. Also we load them with hollow-tip Silvertips.
I don't mind the S&W but we have no choice.

Off-duty I carry a USP Compact 45, free ammo. Sweet gun.

I shot my friend Glock .40 and did not care for it. Yes, they have alot of accessories for it but I would pass for a better weapon.

Best of all .50 caliber Desert Eagle:eek:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The problem with asking for advice on the internet is you can never stop the idiots from responding to the question.

A Glock 17 is a good handgun. There might be others you like better but for a cheap, reliable, shoot every time, load the next round every time, reasonably accurate duty weapon...it is more than capable.

Check your local shooting range... every one I have been to has a selection to rent from and see what you like. The most important thing is that you are comfortable using it.

Personally, I have owned all the majors and ALL have jammed on me EXCEPT my Glocks. I have put cases through my model 22 and never had a misfire or jam. I love the feel of the SIG, but the Glock is where it's at IMO.

I cannot comment on the 17 specifically, but they have the same internals so they are pretty close.

Good Luck!

Sorry guys....didn't mean to come off as a wise-guy !!
Tony, I was just stating that it depends on what your intentions are for the Glock 17. Personally, I like the 17 . Had it at a training site and fired over 1000 rounds during a rigorous close quarter live exercise. Never had a problem, never jammed. As for personal protection to carry, I favour other hand guns such as the Browning High Power........ That's just my personal choice. As a duty weapon the 17 serves its purpose well !! Iv'e spent 20 years in Law Enforcement and 6 in the USMC...... I should say that I feel I have enough qualifications to speak on this issue. If my first thread hinted at sarcasm to any of my fellow Turbo Bro's....I'm truly sorry !!! Be careful out there !
Darrell.

I think the Glock weapon system is the best for service work. When I was patrol I carried the 22 as my primary and the 27 as my backup. If the 22 craps out, you can grab the 27 and the full size magazines you carry on your Sam Browne will fit right in the 27. We had the Glock armory school at my dept and I witnessed the Glocks take some serious abuse and not skip a beat.

Now that I am plainclothes, I carry the Sig P-220. My personal preference is the Sig. I work in the Traffic crimes unit and I am not really concerned about capacity. My parents own a gun store so I have experience with just about every kind of firearm.

As far as the 17, my brother shoots competition with one and hangs with the 1911 crowd. He shot in the finals this year.

HTH

Zac

Originally posted by Jack Evers
Wish I would have stuck with my 90mm. This 45 kicks like a mule and tears the bark right off my shooting hand if I fire a bunch of rounds through it.

Wow, I'd think the 90mm would be harsher than the 45. ;)

I have a 27 (Baby Glock .40) and I don't like it. It's a fine weapon and it's simple and consistent, but I don't like the magazine release nor do I like the 6 pound trigger pull that has no travel to it. I carry the HK USP 40 on duty and absolutely love it. The ambidextrous magazine release allows me to use my gun hand middle finger to drop the mags, therefore allowing me to stay closer on target and retain a firm grip on the weapon. I also have a .40 Compact HK for light duty use. I like the strong double action trigger pull because you have to deliberately pull the trigger...acts like a safety.

As it's been said, get what YOU like and what you shoot the best with. For me it was the HK, you might prefer a Sig or the Glock. All are fine weapons.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
nor do I like the 6 pound trigger pull that has no travel to it.

You can get a kit for the Glock that will make the trigger pull - 1.5# (I think) Personally, I like the short travel. To each thier own though:D

I tried a 27, but I have stubby, meaty hands and could not get a good grip with such a small handle during the "kick" of the .40

I carry the 26 (baby 9mm) for concealment and the 22 in the open.

I like how many models Glock has - they can fit about every application out there. They even have the switchable fully auto models... rediculous for a hand gun... but still cool:D :D :D

Glocks are the best weapons for Police work hands down,wont go off if you drop it,no safty, quality, price and reliability.just ask the Detroit Police Department Gun Range,who train more officers than any other department in the country.

When someone has a jump on you in a gun fight,and you draw out your weapon and you only have a split second to respond and you pull the triger on your H&K and find that the safty is on then what do you do?
:confused:
Ed
hint you don't get to go home to your wife and kids:eek:

Originally posted by fast eddie
When someone has a jump on you in a gun fight,and you draw out your weapon and you only have a split second to respond and you pull the triger on your H&K and find that the safty is on then what do you do?
:confused:
Ed
hint you don't get to go home to your wife and kids:eek:

I like Glocks...but being quick on the draw isn't the reason. You aren't in the wild west there partner.

If you train properly with the HK then you will be deactivating the safety on the upswing or you will not have the safety on as holstered. The safety isn't why I like a Glock....the fact that it goes bang...every time I pull the trigger is why I would depend on it to save my life.