GFCI outlet.

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
When I plug and unplug appliances in the kitchen.....it is difficult to unplug items from one outlet. No problem swapping out another GFCI outlet. Just worried about codes. I have 4 outlets in the kitchen 2 are GFCI and 2 are not. They are all equal distances from the sink. Can I put extra CGFI outlets?

Probably the two outlets that are not gfi are fed from the two that are. Plug something into the non-gfi outlets and press the test button on the gfi's to see if it shuts off. If its a gfi outlet you want to replace just be sure you don't cross line and load wires as indicated on the back of the gfi.

Ahhhh Yup, the non G outlets are powered by the G outlets. Learn something new everyday.

Looked at some GFCI outlets. I see 15 and 20 amp. I don't see the spec on the front of my outlets. How do I choose?

Either 15a or 20a will work. Only visual difference between the two is 20a has a horizontal slot coming off one of the vertical slots. It's nice to have atleast 1 20a outlet in your kitchen in case you ever get a 20a appliance it would come with a horizontal male end.

Are you replacing a GFCI outlet? There is no point in adding a gfci to a circuit that already has one, the gfci protects all the outlets after it. Your outlets should match the size of the circuit breaker.

Are you replacing a GFCI outlet? There is no point in adding a gfci to a circuit that already has one, the gfci protects all the outlets after it. Your outlets should match the size of the circuit breaker.

Sayin you cant have 15a receptacles on a 20a ckt? WRONG!

But you may find as I did at a freind's. You never know what you're gonna find in some older homes. A single 15A breaker was powering every outlet in his kitchen but the firidge, with No CGFI anywhere. I left the 15A out's but found the first in chain and gave it 15A cgfi. Then added a mic out for him too on an added 20 in his box. Point being that the ten outs all over the kitchen wouldn't use the whole circuit to breaker for trip before I could talk his cheap A into putting the proper 20A outs into his walls and breaker in his box. At least it was properly wired with 12ga! You really just don't know for certain what's really going on vs. what's right in some houses that have had handyman owners doing work on them til you get into it.

I think what 101 was trying to say is that it would be pointless to use the expensive 20A outs on a 15A circuit, as well as potentially dangerous to give someone the impression of a heavier circuit to plug a dozen appliances into. Were it to have a lower CGFI up-line it would be easily found out but if it had 14ga hidden in the walls, that could be a bigger issue when excess draw turned to heat in an enclosed space without tripping the breaker or even having a 20A breaker in the box without proper outlets downline, which may burn a single outlet or the house.

Ok, whatever you say boys...i'm done, can't argue w/ self licensed internet electricians :rolleyes:....even as a licensed electrician since 1998 :redface: