Getting closer on hydroboost, any try this PS pump?

Taylor04

Hey I have slowly been working on getting the astro van hydroboost set up complete. I am having the steering box rebuilt by a local place (advantage west in cathedrial city, ca) but was looking at a new power steering pump. Anyone try using this one?

High Flow Aluminum Power Steerng Pump for T-Bird & GM

Do we have Small GM type II style pumps? Other than fittings and line I am ordering today(FC300 teflon blue hose and AN-6), I have almost everything for the build. Any recommended fluid for the hydroboost? I will get some photos up soon, it all looks really simple but is hard to complete when I drive the car everyday. Thanks, Andrew.

Some quick pics

Here is the hydroboost with the factory astro van master cylinder. I still need to buy a new master cylinder. Please take notice to the bracket fabbed up by our own turboc87gn! Looks very strong, thick steel, beautiful welds, and a great coat of paint, thanks for working with me buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 342
some pics of the car

Here are some pics of the project.....slash daily driver :D:cool:

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

More photos of the ol' lady neighbor's regal and others can be seen here:
Grim 2.0

Hydroboost is a must before next autocross in October!

Attachments

• DSC_4157.jpg
    DSC_4157.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC_4160.jpg
    DSC_4160.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC_4090.jpg
    DSC_4090.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 290
Hey I have slowly been working on getting the astro van hydroboost set up complete. I am having the steering box rebuilt by a local place (advantage west in cathedrial city, ca) but was looking at a new power steering pump. Anyone try using this one?

High Flow Aluminum Power Steerng Pump for T-Bird & GM

Do we have Small GM type II style pumps? Other than fittings and line I am ordering today(FC300 teflon blue hose and AN-6), I have almost everything for the build. Any recommended fluid for the hydroboost? I will get some photos up soon, it all looks really simple but is hard to complete when I drive the car everyday. Thanks, Andrew.

Our P/S pumps are reverse rotation. So a standard rotation pump won't work.

For fluid I always use GM P/S fluid purchased at a dealer.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Does everyone just get reman power steering pumps from the zone?

I think for the hydroboost kit to run best, I should get a new PS pump.

I was told that for hydroboost kits I should have a bearing style pump instead of the bushing style pump because the it will leak/break. Did the GNs come with bearing style power steering pumps?

Thanx for the kind words andrew...A few tips that should help your install...i wanted to pm them to you but your box was full...Use your powermaster rubber boot to seal the hole up like factory, I had to bolt my bracket down before putting the hydroboost on..Your bracket is wider so you should be able to tighten the bolts with a wrench with the unit in place...It is also waaaaaaay easier to have a friend help you by holding the hydroboost loose and you climb under the dash to hook the rod on the pedal...The easiest way to find a mc is goto az and look up the specs for the astrovan unit and find similar specs on a unit with a square resorvoir...

Im not sure but i think mine was from an 89 chevy pickup 350 2wd also remember if you are gonna race your car now is the perfect time to plumb in your line lock..You may have probs doin a burnout without one!!!!!

Tinman broke his transmission in his driveway when his hydroboost held boost to 17psi!!!!!! Also if you have long shoes and s10 wheel cylinders take them off.. Your rear brakes will lock before your fronts if you dont ... ive heard this from a few that have done the conversion...

Thanx for the kind words andrew...A few tips that should help your install...i wanted to pm them to you but your box was full...Use your powermaster rubber boot to seal the hole up like factory, I had to bolt my bracket down before putting the hydroboost on..Your bracket is wider so you should be able to tighten the bolts with a wrench with the unit in place...It is also waaaaaaay easier to have a friend help you by holding the hydroboost loose and you climb under the dash to hook the rod on the pedal...The easiest way to find a mc is goto az and look up the specs for the astrovan unit and find similar specs on a unit with a square resorvoir...

Im not sure but i think mine was from an 89 chevy pickup 350 2wd also remember if you are gonna race your car now is the perfect time to plumb in your line lock..You may have probs doin a burnout without one!!!!!

Tinman broke his transmission in his driveway when his hydroboost held boost to 17psi!!!!!! Also if you have long shoes and s10 wheel cylinders take them off.. Your rear brakes will lock before your fronts if you dont ... ive heard this from a few that have done the conversion...

Hey Corey thank for the reply, I got the PM box emptied out. I will go to the zone and check out specs for master cylinders, thanks for the info. I haven't touched the rear brakes since I bought the car over two years ago, it should all be stock. Here are some pics of the rebuilt steering box I picked up yesterday!

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 251
NEW Hydroboosts

Power Brake Service is the Bosch O.E. distributor for New Hydroboosts. They come WITH the right bracket and pedal rod to fit. NO cut and welded pedal rods. The hose sets are stainless with banjo ends, and guaranteed to fit. Aluminum Master cyls are available

power brake service is the bosch o.e. Distributor for new hydroboosts. They come with the right bracket and pedal rod to fit. No cut and welded pedal rods. The hose sets are stainless with banjo ends, and guaranteed to fit. Aluminum master cyls are available

for the last time!

Unless you want to become a paying vendor please do not advertise on this board again!!!!!

Update - I got the wrong hydroboost

Well looks like I got the wrong hydroboost when I picked it from the junkyard. I went to napa today and purchased a cardone reman steering pump and an aluminum master cylinder for a 1984 single cab 350ci 2wd pickup. When I tried to put the new master on the hydroboost it wouldn't fit! The bore on the booster is too small for the 1.125 bore on the new master. I remember my buddy's 1993 2500 2wd 454ci Suburban had hydroboost and napa has that booster for $200. Looks like I am going to order that one and make it work. Basically I think there are two different hydroboost one with small bore and one with large bore. I must have gotten the weak one. Here are the photos...the new 1.125 master is on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg