Getting Back In It

Buusted Buick

Good Morning!

New here to the forum, just wanted to say a quick hello.
I've been away from the Buick community for a few years, but might look into getting back into it and wanted to get established here.

I've personally owned a black on black '67 GS 400 and a banana yellow '78 Turbo Coupe (first car). Brother had a '71 Skylark and Dad stills has his '87 Turbo Limited. That's the reason for coming back, I trying to see if I can get him to bring her back to life. Unfortunately, she's been sitting for some years. Not gonna be a weekend job, I'm afraid. Might need some help and insight from you fellas.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard dedreckoner.
Always feel free to ask away with any questions you might have.
One thing that you might see a lot of, is people saying to do a search, use the search bar, etc, etc. Even though this can be a bit put off'ish, don't let it bother you. This site has very deep memory banks that go all the way back to "01. The original site dates back to "98 but we had a site crash in "01 and to my knowledge, lost all of the data up to that point. I would be willing to bet, every topic has been covered at some point with a post. A lot of us old timers, self included, have been at this since the cars were new and there's a ton of little details and real world hands on experience that can't be found in a book, but can be found on this site. So you are in good hands. One thing I tell all new owners, is this. In today's age of modern tech, HD cameras on phones and tablets, a picture or thirty is worth a thousand words. It is always best to include pics when trouble shooting or trying to diagnose a problem. Even in your case, bringing one of these cars back to life from sitting for a long time can tell us volumes of info on what's right and what's wrong with the car.

One thing's for sure, these 30+ year old cars require a lot of patience to get right. Thankfully the engine bay has a lot of space to work with, vs today's modern stuff. The technology may be old, but it's proven and sound when it works right. We have the best of the best vendor support on here as well, so always remember to support a vendor that supports this site when making a purchase. I tell people to make a plan with these cars. Write it down. Do you research when it comes to parts selection and combos as the technology has not stood still, but has progressed steadily over the years. Don't forget to use YouTube as a research medium. There is a lot of good tech videos out there. YouTubers like VenomGT87, Tom's Turbo Garage, Turbobuicks 101 just to name a few. Also, don't forget about Facebook, groups like GN/Ttype Central, Turbobuick.com Members on Facebook and Buick Grand National Tech are valuable resources. You will notice a lot of the same people on this site, post on those as well.

A lot of us are here to help and me personally, I try to help whenever I can. I'm not perfect, or claim to know everything, but I can definitely point someone in the right direction or vendor when the time comes. I remember what it was like to not have any help back in the "before the internet days", when all we had as resources were the Turbo Buick News letter, Kirbans news letter and the GSXtra members publication. Those were dark times.... sad times.... scary times..... Some filled with joy of a new personal best ET, or race won, others filled with sadness from going broke fixing stuff that breaks. But we all grew stronger from our multiple blown head gaskets, broken cranks, split blocks, fried turbos and destroyed transmissions. These cars will get into your system and you will be hooked for life. The only cure for this addiction, seems to be support groups such as this site and and the ones I mentioned above. That and buying another one for your collection / hobby / racing habits. And lastly, attending one of the Turbo Buick specific events held throughout the year.
Again, welcome aboard, pull up a chair and get too reading.
And most of all, let us know if we can help.

-Patrick-

P.S.
I don't know how I forgot to mention these two, but Steve V's Automotive and Lorenz Racing and Performance are excellent resources on Facebook. Excellent attention to detail on how to do things right.

:cool:

Welcome aboard dedreckoner.
Always feel free to ask away with any questions you might have.
One thing that you might see a lot of, is people saying to do a search, use the search bar, etc, etc. Even though this can be a bit put off'ish, don't let it bother you. This site has very deep memory banks that go all the way back to "01. The original site dates back to "98 but we had a site crash in "01 and to my knowledge, lost all of the data up to that point. I would be willing to bet, every topic has been covered at some point with a post. A lot of us old timers, self included, have been at this since the cars were new and there's a ton of little details and real world hands on experience that can't be found in a book, but can be found on this site. So you are in good hands. One thing I tell all new owners, is this. In today's age of modern tech, HD cameras on phones and tablets, a picture or thirty is worth a thousand words. It is always best to include pics when trouble shooting or trying to diagnose a problem. Even in your case, bringing one of these cars back to life from sitting for a long time can tell us volumes of info on what's right and what's wrong with the car.

One thing's for sure, these 30+ year old cars require a lot of patience to get right. Thankfully the engine bay has a lot of space to work with, vs today's modern stuff. The technology may be old, but it's proven and sound when it works right. We have the best of the best vendor support on here as well, so always remember to support a vendor that supports this site when making a purchase. I tell people to make a plan with these cars. Write it down. Do you research when it comes to parts selection and combos as the technology has not stood still, but has progressed steadily over the years. Don't forget to use YouTube as a research medium. There is a lot of good tech videos out there. YouTubers like VenomGT87, Tom's Turbo Garage, Turbobuicks 101 just to name a few. Also, don't forget about Facebook, groups like GN/Ttype Central, Turbobuick.com Members on Facebook and Buick Grand National Tech are valuable resources. You will notice a lot of the same people on this site, post on those as well.

A lot of us are here to help and me personally, I try to help whenever I can. I'm not perfect, or claim to know everything, but I can definitely point someone in the right direction or vendor when the time comes. I remember what it was like to not have any help back in the "before the internet days", when all we had as resources were the Turbo Buick News letter, Kirbans news letter and the GSXtra members publication. Those were dark times.... sad times.... scary times..... Some filled with joy of a new personal best ET, or race won, others filled with sadness from going broke fixing stuff that breaks. But we all grew stronger from our multiple blown head gaskets, broken cranks, split blocks, fried turbos and destroyed transmissions. These cars will get into your system and you will be hooked for life. The only cure for this addiction, seems to be support groups such as this site and and the ones I mentioned above. That and buying another one for your collection / hobby / racing habits. And lastly, attending one of the Turbo Buick specific events held throughout the year.
Again, welcome aboard, pull up a chair and get too reading.
And most of all, let us know if we can help.

-Patrick-

Thank you, Patrick!