Getting a VIN tag made...success!

Tristansgn

Buick owner
Ok, I've owned this car for 4 years now, I know the history, in fact a well know member in the TB community owned this car for years before me so I know it doesn't have a tainted history. The VIN tag on the dash is gone, and the stickers are gone, the only hope was the engine stamp and the frame stamp (replaced trans) I'm at the tax commission to have the Police do a VIN inspection, they have verified it and are making a replacement tag for me. Happy and relieved! For anyone that is asking, it should be on the top of the frame rail, drivers side, right about where the trans mount is. Just a little in front of the 3rd body bushing (engine side). I'm still waiting for the tag so I'll update my post with more pics!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    871.6 KB · Views: 266
Time to add a body bushing there as well on the bottom side

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Well everything checked out fine, they stamped a new VIN tag with the original VIN and riveted to the driver door jamb, maybe not the prettiest thing, but it's all on the up and up. I live in Utah so I can't say it's the same for all states, but they were nice about it and only took about an hour. Most of the time was trying to make out the numbers in such a tight spot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    764.3 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 282
What about your title / bill of sale they didn't have the vin info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirban 2 cents worth should have contacted our company as we can get the correct lokoing door jamb decals done as I work with the company that does them for GM also does Ford Chrysler Porsche etc mostly does late model work for collison shops. we can still ldo your door jamb decals long as yo have title that shows the VIN number....see our website for details....also will be able to do window stickers as well very very soon...

we could not however do the metal VIN tag.....state police do that I believe in our state as well...

Dennis, Does anyone do a good repro of the trunk option label.? I replaced my T trunk lid years ago with a GN lid (w/spoiler) and I still have the old lid and would rather not have to try and remove the label to move over to my car.

Kirban reply

the trunk ID label or SPID label as its called is not on tamper proof paper like the door jamb decals are..in other words using a heat gun and being very very careful you should be able to remove it.....once oyu have I wold take it to a copy place and have them make 3 or 4 copies...

on similar paper stock and affix it.....my source is not making them as of yet we are just now ironing out doing the 1986 and 1987 window stickers he has the proper paper to do the window stickers....and of course we offer the door jamb decals as well.

some states you can't register the car if the door VIN decal is not present....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I remember years ago....I bought a T Type the guy had replaced the trunk lid fortunately he had the original trunk lid I had no way to take the lid so I had him cut out the portion of his old trunk lid so I could have the label....I would not touch a car to buy that was missing any of the labels I remember buying one where 2 of the 17 digit VIN numbers was reversed on the title....lucky that can be rectified by a state trooper at least in my state....

some states the lein release looks identical to the title so you gotta be very careful when buying a car from one of those states.

all stuff I learned

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Ok, I've owned this car for 4 years now, I know the history, in fact a well know member in the TB community owned this car for years before me so I know it doesn't have a tainted history. The VIN tag on the dash is gone, and the stickers are gone, the only hope was the engine stamp and the frame stamp (replaced trans) I'm at the tax commission to have the Police do a VIN inspection, they have verified it and are making a replacement tag for me. Happy and relieved! For anyone that is asking, it should be on the top of the frame rail, drivers side, right about where the trans mount is. Just a little in front of the 3rd body bushing (engine side). I'm still waiting for the tag so I'll update my post with more pics!

The vin on my frame was on the passenger side about the same spot.The por 15 kinda filled it in. Did they give you a rebuilt title with the vin. Thats how Illinois does it. Was the car stolen in the past? If its a rebuilt title you might want to call your insurance company. Most insurance companies will not want to pay out actual value on a car with said title.

I had the title with the correct vin, so once they verified the numbers matched they just stamped a new tag with the old VIN. I didn't have to switch anything over, no rebuilt status or anything. The car wasn't ever stolen in the past, I know the previous owners more than 20 years back so I'm comfortable with the history of it, value wise it's solid minus however much that new tag bothers someone! Not my favorite but it's legit :)
Good to know about the door sticker too, that would be nice to replace.

Seems very suspect that all of the VIN identifying tags were removed, makes me think the body isn't the original one. Also anyone looking at that car to purchase will know right away something is wrong since the vin tag is riveted to the door jamb and all the others are missing. Some states would flag it as a rebuilt title because of this.

I'm surprised they let you in there never mind take a picture while the were looking for the vin.

In MA the sate police inspection station has a sealed off area for them to look for the vin and no one is allowed in there.

D

I'm surprised they let you in there never mind take a picture while the were looking for the vin.

In MA the sate police inspection station has a sealed off area for them to look for the vin and no one is allowed in there.

D
So funny you mention that, another officer came in after about 20 min of me pulling it in there and helping clean the top of the frame, very sternly told me to leave and wait in the cafeteria! So yeah, you're right! The 2 original officers came and got me once they made the new tag and that's when I got the last pics. I actually made the first post while I was sitting in the customer area, the first 2 officers were really nice and loved the car.