GEN2 Translator & Conventional Chip Setup

Dean

It is that wonderful time of year for me where I have to pass a smog check by the end of the week. I replaced my GEN chip with a conventional chip, and made the following changes in the GEN2 setup:

MAF Output: Stock GN MAF
V-Out1 Mode: Use Set Point
V-Out2 Mode: Use Set Point

The car runs, but not great, particularly at idle, and I see that the idle AF is ~25. Did I miss something in the setup?

My unchanged parameters:
MAF Input: 3.5" MAF
# of Cyl: 6
Displacement: 3.8
Load Source: MAF/RPM
Wideband O2: None
Aux Log Mode: No Aux Log
Main Scale: Zero
F Out Max: Zero
V-Out1 Set: 2.500
V-Out2 Set: 4.000
Afterstart: 0
Lo Load Pt: 32.5
Mi Load Pt: 100.1
Hi Load Pt: 143
F Out Max:
MAF Limit TPS: 0.000
MAF Limit : 0.0
MAF Krpm: 0.0
Idle Flow: 12.0
Idle Filt: 2.00
AF TR Delay: 0.0

Hopefully it is something obvious to a more experienced GEN2 user. Worse case, I'll take the GEN2 out and replace it with an old T+. Tomorrow is my deadline.

Thanks,

Honestly, you'd be better off using the Extender chip. But make sure you don't set it up for open loop idle. And, set the low-speed fan turn-on to the higher temperature. The hotter the better (the cleaner the idle emissions will be). Don't forget to drive the car for a while so that the BLM's re-learn once you re-install the Extender chip. If the car is due for an oil change, now is a good time to do that too.

I thought that without the EGR function the Extender chip would be worse!?

I don't know about changing the the "loop" or fan-on temps with the GEN2/Extender. The conventional chip has higher fan on& off temps. I will drive it to learn, and yep, I changed the oil. :)

Honestly, you'd be better off using the Extender chip. But make sure you don't set it up for open loop idle. And, set the low-speed fan turn-on to the higher temperature. The hotter the better (the cleaner the idle emissions will be). Don't forget to drive the car for a while so that the BLM's re-learn once you re-install the Extender chip. If the car is due for an oil change, now is a good time to do that too.

He's in Kalifornia! That Extender chip will never get him through their smog checks. Been there done that!!

Dean, is your "conventional" chip a smog chip??? Has to be there.

Dean, is your "conventional" chip a smog chip??? Has to be there.

Yep. I started with a BBKJ file, modified the Injector Constant to 60, and bumped up the fan on and off temps. Very straightforward.

So, I pulled the GEN2 and installed the T+. Oddly the AF #s are still high, though it seems to run fine. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the Power Logger / SM tripling the AF values?

So, here we are two years later (I barely passed last year) and the same thing, AF #s high at 17 this time, while idling at ~700-725. Idle BLMs are 151.

Anyone know why the AF#s are reading so high, and is that why the BLMs are being driven up?

AF meaning airflow on the scanmaster or AF like AFR.... ?

the PowerLogger rescales the airflow reading (even on the scanmaster) based on the selection on the F3 page.

Bob

Yes, as in airflow GPS.

I haven't used the PL much at all, so I'm not familiar with the F3 page. I pulled up the Manual and I believe I see what you are referring to. There is a "MAF Display Option" that I presume I set at 768 when I installed it a couple years ago. With a conventional chip it should be 255. I'll look at that in the morning. Thanks.

Yes, on the F3 page you have to select the MAF display option according to the chip you're running.

The selections are:
255 grams per second (standard) "for standard non extender chips"
512 grams per second (extender chips) "for extender chips"
768 grams per second (extender extreme, pro, extreme G chips)

You make the selection according to the chip you're running.

That did it, thanks, and thanks for the chip help as well. Car runs quite well. :)