Gear Drive users

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
For those using Gear drive, has anyone got into issues with it? Anything to look out for..

Thanks
Joe

I have heard instances where the 3 volt style worked its way loose.

I can speak from experience that the single volt style worked flawless for the 18 years I have used it.

The biggest negative is the work required to make it work on a stock cover. It’s almost impossible to modify and weld the cover without warping the area around the oil pump and oil pump shaft area. Better off using a Stage 2 cover and external pump. And if your going that far than may as well go to the Danny B setup.

AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Milodon one, don't know which one it is. Modifing the cover is not that big of a deal. Friends of mine using chevys told me that their's would snap off the Cam Bolts. But Buick's have one big one.
I will give it a shot when I get there.
Thanks!

I had spring loads 250# at the seat and 600#+ open without any issues.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a issue with the cam key breaking . Basically bent all my pushrods and luckily the intake valves didn’t do to much damage to my pistons with just a kiss mark on all of them . But yea was not a fun situation.

For all the problems it seems to bring, why don't you toss all of that in the trash and get a good quality true roller timing chain... :rolleyes: ... it will get the job done...

Claude.

For all the problems it seems to bring, why don't you toss all of that in the trash and get a good quality true roller timing chain... :rolleyes: ... it will get the job done...

Claude.
Claude I have to dis-agree on this one. For those like me and turbobitt using extremely hard springs the Gear Drive once properly installed is a good insurance. I am glad I just installed mine. I don't have to worry snapping the Chain at hi RPM.

Joe... I understand what you're saying but it takes a lot to snap a good quality chain!... ( "good quality" is the key word here). I'm not saying that it can't happen but personally have never seen one snap... :oops: I've seen cars running into the low 8's with a chain...

Claude.;)

P.S: I have one on my big block Chevy (which was already there when I bought it) but I swear that if one day I have to take the engine apart for whatever reason, I'm taking it off and install a good (and more silent) chain.

Ours the bolts worked loose and fell into the pan. We went back to chain.

Ours the bolts worked loose and fell into the pan. We went back to chain.
the bolts in my gear drive where tack welded then where ground down flush with the back of the gear drive plate . im pretty sure they will not be going anywhere any time soon.

how much spring pressure do you guys run that broke chains?
I don't have a definitive answer to that question. The heads were assembled by Zimmerman Racing and installed on a Stage 2 motor in a race car I bought. I have the paperwork for the engine but no specs were listed. Once removed they had a number of bent valves, I chose not to rebuild them as I had another set ready to run. As a guess I would say at least 250lbs on the seal and 550+ open.

Neal