GBodyParts new GN wheels and LS1 front brakes

49-blues

Does anyone know if LS1 12" brake conversions will fit with the new aluminum GN 15" wheels?

Wouldn't it be nice if they do fit, I measured across the mounting flange to the inside diameter and got 12.5", I don't have my 12" brakes installed yet- reason why I'm asking.

I doubt they'd fit, 17's barely fit on C5 corvette front brakes that are only 12.8 inches. The caliper is what will hit the wheel, not the disc.

Installed 12" Baer years ago on the T. T aluminium wheels would not fit without a 1/8" spacer. 84 & 85 GN aluminium fit with no issues, blasted the black paint off & they look like original T wheels. Also had rears widened to 9.5" & wear on 275 50 15 is superior (as is handling with 25 - 30 lbs air).

Installed 12" Baer years ago on the T. T aluminium wheels would not fit without a 1/8" spacer. 84 & 85 GN aluminium fit with no issues, blasted the black paint off & they look like original T wheels. Also had rears widened to 9.5" & wear on 275 50 15 is superior (as is handling with 25 - 30 lbs air).

T wheels aren't the same wheels as 85 GN wheels? You sure?

op is talking about the new aluminum GN rim styled after the chrome steel GN rim ..not the 10 spoke alum T-hotair gn rim
there are 7" and 7.5" alum versions of the T rim but never noticed a backspace difference . they may well be the same backspace but the backspace wouldnt be the issue , it would have to be a difference in the back of the hub design where the back of the spokes are and since the rims are different atleast in width ) its possible they have a slight difference in the back of the spokes

and its not the backspacing that will cause you grief . if the caliper hits the back of rim basket thats not backspace but hub height that needs addressing and may need a spacer (will change backspace but thats a given)

the problem is the steel GN rim is built backwards from most other rims. Th Gn steel rim has the drop down in the wheel drum behind the basket . the drop down is there to install the tire and the rim needs to upside down on a tire machine
having the drop down in the rotor area is what makes the steel gn rims tougher to fit brake upgrades . looking at the front of the wheel drum on the new aluminum version it has to have similar drop down behind the basket

The new GN aluminum rims have fat lip wheel flanges so I thought that might give enough room in there for the 12" ls1 brake upgrade. I have a set of weld XPS 15" rims that enough room for the 12" brakes and I measured the wheel hub area for a 13.5" diameter, the GN rims gave 12.5" so if they do fit it would be tight.