Garrett G30-770 V Band Turbo On A GN, Details Inside

I'm finally getting my new turbo installed. I'll keep you posted on how I like the G42-1200

Attachments

• Resized_20220531_201917.jpeg
    Resized_20220531_201917.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 125
Well it's been in the works since 2021 and it's done. I had maxed out the TA49 with my new combo at 520hp and only 19psi so I wanted to make a big change, not just the turbo but the mounting and control of it too.

This isn't for those looking for easy or cheap, it's even more $$ than I thought to do all this and I gave it a big #. If you think $6k, more if a shop does the labor. I'm a GN lifer here so it's fun for me but damn it's a lot of $$ to move into the 2020s gated turbo community.

Turbo = Garrett G30-770 = 58/55 in PTE size
V Band .83 exhaust housing
Poston header modified for wastegate
Turbosmart 50mm wastegate with custom dump tube
Controlled by ECU-GN boost solenoid
GN1 3.5"DP modified using Garrett DP adapter
Custom turbo oil return to stock block location
Water feed fittings off intake and returned to water pump
Custom length oil feedline off oil filter adapter
Coatings by LOKO here in IL

Work done at Blackdog Speed here in Lincolnshire IL by techs Gordon and Jeff.
I think of ways to smoke Gs and they make it happen.
Steve D will tune it up when he's back so he'll have more details soon on what is actually happening vs other turbos we run our those of us rocking the TA49.

The biggest challenge was the turbo oil return. I was going to run the T-40 Turbosmart Oil Pressure Regulator but the oil return for that alone was a mess so I ditched that before spending tons of custom hours on it. Then we realized the turbo oil return in general is too tight to get a wrench on for the fittings so....

We used the Garrett G series Aluminum oil turbo flange, welded a tube onto that and a -12an onto the end and cleared the turbo and v band flange. Then run a 90 degree -12an braided back to the block.

To think the header mod for the wastegate and pulling all the headers for coating was easier.

I'll come back after it's retuned and dynod at the same 19psi and 18 degrees like the TA49 to show what 1990s vs 2020s turbo tech has evolved too.
Is that a vacuum port on your intake just past the injector nozzle for crank case ventilation?

Got a few hours yesterday to dial things in Saturday.....

Turbosmart Genv 50mm wastegate
It came with the light blue 10psi spring (not dark blue 14psi)
Added smaller yellow 5psi spring
15psi on the gate spring max, 14.5 was pretty normal. That's my 0% duty for pump gas just to be safe.

50% duty on the Bob Bailey boost solenoid netted 21psi, holds really steady in log.
40% duty was 18.5psi so this scaling should be good for 27psi and more than I'll need to reach 650hp.
34% duty should get me around 19psi like the TA49 for the dyno back to back.

It spools like a TA49 but hits way way harder, the 49 only netted 19psi max, this was 21psi easy and plenty left in the tank.
Ta49 = 58/56 (.63 exhaust)
G30-770 = 58/55 (.83 exhaust)

The ball bearing, bigger exhaust housing and newest wheel design IMO make this the sickest street turbo. It's feels almost as snappy as my 600hp, 461ci GTO and if you're cruising and hammer it, forget it, it's a damn NA car.

I did a hammer on the highway and it scared the shit out of me how fast it hit 21psi and felt faster than I've ever been in a GN. I can't imagine what you guys and these 1000hp turbos feel, my God.

MAT was 110 degrees at 21psi and matched similarly to my IC water temp so that was interesting to see on the street. Not super cold but with maybe 1psi of back pressure the turbo will NOT push the comp map like inefficient intercoolers.

I'll find out actual turbo/IC pressure loss once we calibrate the new AEM sensor off the turbo. The Low Dollar sensors weren't cutting it.

I still have a M3 pre-turbo alky nozzle to turn on at the very end of tuning to max out the turbo efficiency.

Pictures below are ..
Poston header with custom wastegate log arm. Turbosmart 50mm internal flange resting on the lip of the v band flange for a tight seal. It's like a smaller internal flange inside the bigger outside v band flange, that things not leaking.

Then 2nd pic is the wastegate on and to see the path from header, pretty straight flow for great control.
Radical man.

Liquid is using the Bosch Cobra 002 water pump and I run a fan constantly on the radiator so my water Temps are 90-115 depending on what's going on. It's nice and cold, not a tank with no flow, no radiator or fan like most drag cars do. Smaller radiator fits perfectly in the FMIC location too.

I'll report back with details in probably 2 weeks after the tune and dyno.
That's pretty sick man.

Got a few hours yesterday to dial things in Saturday.....

Turbosmart Genv 50mm wastegate
It came with the light blue 10psi spring (not dark blue 14psi)
Added smaller yellow 5psi spring
15psi on the gate spring max, 14.5 was pretty normal. That's my 0% duty for pump gas just to be safe.

50% duty on the Bob Bailey boost solenoid netted 21psi, holds really steady in log.
40% duty was 18.5psi so this scaling should be good for 27psi and more than I'll need to reach 650hp.
34% duty should get me around 19psi like the TA49 for the dyno back to back.

It spools like a TA49 but hits way way harder, the 49 only netted 19psi max, this was 21psi easy and plenty left in the tank.
Ta49 = 58/56 (.63 exhaust)
G30-770 = 58/55 (.83 exhaust)

The ball bearing, bigger exhaust housing and newest wheel design IMO make this the sickest street turbo. It's feels almost as snappy as my 600hp, 461ci GTO and if you're cruising and hammer it, forget it, it's a damn NA car.

I did a hammer on the highway and it scared the shit out of me how fast it hit 21psi and felt faster than I've ever been in a GN. I can't imagine what you guys and these 1000hp turbos feel, my God.

MAT was 110 degrees at 21psi and matched similarly to my IC water temp so that was interesting to see on the street. Not super cold but with maybe 1psi of back pressure the turbo will NOT push the comp map like inefficient intercoolers.

I'll find out actual turbo/IC pressure loss once we calibrate the new AEM sensor off the turbo. The Low Dollar sensors weren't cutting it.

I still have a M3 pre-turbo alky nozzle to turn on at the very end of tuning to max out the turbo efficiency.

Pictures below are ..
Poston header with custom wastegate log arm. Turbosmart 50mm internal flange resting on the lip of the v band flange for a tight seal. It's like a smaller internal flange inside the bigger outside v band flange, that things not leaking.

Then 2nd pic is the wastegate on and to see the path from header, pretty straight flow for great control.
Are you running a back pressure sensor on your exhaust with your ECUGN?

G42-1200 (73/75), that's a big boy.
You T4 or v band?
These spool faster and make a ton of power on the same wheel as the past, that's gonna be a torque beast at 4500rpm.

I run a hose on the pcv hole into a catch can and then into the intake pipe to turbo, stock like design on Crankcase relief.

I run an AEM sensor on the turbo compressor for intercooler backpressure, I wanted to make sure all that time, theory and $ was worth it. In my case, it proved me correct and the SLLIC was for my goal of street turbo car that acts Iike a badd big block.