Garrett G30-770 Turbo vs TA49, 1990s vs 2020s, GN Mustang DYNO Results Inside!!

I'm pretty sure that's him, to date you make only 3 of us that converted over and I don't expect more with the HPT new Turbo exhaust housings.

Your turbo while only a 68/62 Max's out at maybe 1050hp but your exhaust housing will chip away at that number.
.83 housing to 1.01 only looks to be a 3lb/min flow difference, not as big of a choke as on my 770 turbo. If you're looking for say 900hp and 1000tq etc you can get that on the .83 it looks like with a 250rpm spool difference vs 1.01 for the street. These really hit hard in our engines 3500-4500 torque range with a great converter.

What housing, T4 or V Band and size?

Attachments

• Turbine-Flow-Maps-G35-scaled.jpg
    Turbine-Flow-Maps-G35-scaled.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 67
I'm pretty sure that's him, to date you make only 3 of us that converted over and I don't expect more with the HPT new Turbo exhaust housings.

Your turbo while only a 68/62 Max's out at maybe 1050hp but your exhaust housing will chip away at that number.
.83 housing to 1.01 only looks to be a 3lb/min flow difference, not as big of a choke as on my 770 turbo. If you're looking for say 900hp and 1000tq etc you can get that on the .83 it looks like with a 250rpm spool difference vs 1.01 for the street. These really hit hard in our engines 3500-4500 torque range with a great converter.

V band, 1.01 HOUSING. e 85 10;1 COMPRESSION. should MAKE OVER 700HP TO TIRES AT 25-26PSI

Some things for discussion to consider.

I don’t know if the dyno you were on is able to control the load or loading rate. While the new Garrett turbo is definitely superior to the old TA-49, it looks like the TA-49 did not get to full speed until 4800rpm. If the dyno allowed the speed to climb at the same speed rate then clearly the new unit is superior in response. It would be interesting though to hold the rpm at say 500 rpm increments and let both turbos peak prior to allowing the speed to increase.

As far as the housing flow chart for a specific wheel, it does not really tell the story. I have not been able to make heads or tails of turbine data. Compressor data/maps are easy and straight forward, the turbine data is not. So as an example, the chart posted shows turbine data for a set of housings, though the mass flow presented is not enough to make the boost we are running at the mass flows we are running, even for small compressors. Case in point, using the .74 efficiency and a generous temperature drop, the shaft horsepower for given flows is approximately shown in the chart below:
1676762649383.png

If you look at the BW match bot, the compressor power required for a similar car presented here, the flow above would not produce enough shaft power, even with the largest housing. The moral of the story, the turbines are not operated at their best efficiency points, they are operated at the point (requisite pressure ratio) to make enough shaft power to produce the desired boost. Since exhaust is wasted energy, the only point that matters is the back pressure required to make the shaft horsepower to generate the desired boost. Increase in turbine pressure ratio equals increased pumping losses. It is the trade off to meet the desired performance.
1676762742968.png

It is difficult to use the turbine charts to match up to a car, where the compressor maps are much easier to match to your car. The other thing is trying to match the compressor and turbine speeds. It seems the vendors keep the turbine data more concealed than the compressor data.

Attachments

• 1676762576332.png
    1676762576332.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 61
The Supra video was an eye opener on the exhaust housing side and power vs spool on larger engines with these turbos. I would've gone 1.01 if I would've seen that and gain the 30-40hp potential on this small wheel at 23psi to max it out and only lose 250rpm. But I had this planned this way before I found that video so I went safe with the .82 V. Luckily I did, the .63 housing is a turd on bigger engines it seems.

I'm sure they can dyno hold in 500rpm interments but I rented it for 1 hour so Steve V could tune WOT pulls vs the street.

Turbo spools faster comes in earlier and the torque hits so hard now and why I got it for the street. Funny your chart shows 850lbs of torque as that is more than I'm comfortable with for now so I don't want a larger turbo on the current 109.

Your chart was interesting..
We peaked at 23psi but most the run was around 22psi and it comes in fast. From your chart the 850tq and 615hp was really close to my limited calculations. Now the internet imports getting 700hp+ most be in the 1.21 housing all in for sure.

These new turbos are gonna be a blast for us, semi truck torque.