Garrett .83 A/R Exhaust Housing - Keep it or look for a .63?

mblum

After spending the past 6 months getting my 86 GN road worthy again the weather here is going to force me to put the car away for the year, but it gives me time for the next round of work I have planned for the car. I plan to pull the trans and send it to Dave Husek for a rebuild and a LU converter from him, currently the car looks to have a stock D5 converter.

I purchased the car and it already had a TA-60 turbo with a .83 Garrett exhaust housing and a .60 Garrett compressor housing. My goals for the car are a fun street car with the occasional trip to the local 1/8th mile, would love low 7's in the 1/8th. I plan to push the TA-60 as far as I can (25+ psi) with 93 pump gas and Alky over the next year as I slowly get the car dialed in.

So my question is the .83 exhaust housing wroth keeping on the car for should I look for a .63 housing,? How much low end and I giving up or will the Husek converter help spool the larger .83 housing? I don't know how much turbo response I'm giving up with the larger housing on this turbo being its the only TR I've driven.

Mr.Spool

So my question is the .83 exhaust housing wroth keeping on the car for should I look for a .63 housing,? How much low end and I giving up
Your giving up alot of low end there
Put a .63 garret on it and that will really wake it up.
That 60 cant utilize an ex housing that big it will run out of turbo long before you approach the ex housings limitations
So all your doing is killing the response time of the turbo for a foot brake car on a low compression motor that's a no no.
You already have the ex housing so you can do your mods and see how the car responds then swap out the .63 and test yourself or you can use my cheat sheet lol

434nova

Your giving up a lot it’s gonna feel like a turtle. Get a .63 it’s more then enough for most combinations. I’m going 10.0s with a precision .63 just to give you a idea.

mblum

Thank you both for your input, it confirms what thought about giving up the low end and response with the larger housing. I have to lay into the car pretty hard to get it moving, but once it does spool it pulls well and very smooth. Not sure why the previous owner would have used this housing........ not surprised though.

My next question is, what are my options in acquiring a .63 housing? I'm assuming the Garrett is the preferred .63 housing to use for my setup? Is a used housing my only option when it comes to the Garrett housing? I have not seen them listed for sale on any of the websites I have been getting parts from? If a Garrett .63 is difficult to locate, how similar is the Precision .63 compared to the Garrett?

Your experienced advice is much appreciated, I'd rather not re-invent the wheel and use data from those who have been there, done that.

434nova

You can contact Brian Bisonette or limit engineering to try to get a exhaust housing. Yes I would try to go with a Garrett .63 over the Precision. The Precision is more like a .72 size even though it says .63.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
63 Garret as the 2 gents have said and Bison will likely have one laying around. One of the locals went 11.4 at 118 with a bone stock long block on a pedestrian launch, Julios alky and Daves 3021 convertor unlocked with your turbo with zilch for tuning on 26 PSI. You're running the 1/8th so the 63 Garrett really comes into play.

mblum

Thanks fellas, locating a housing is at the top of my list of winter activities.

I'd be really happy with times like those Scooby, my butt-o-meter says the car has a lot of potential at my currently low boost of 17 psi, can't wait to pick away at the little bugs and slowly turn her up.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
Thanks fellas, locating a housing is at the top of my list of winter activities.

I'd be really happy with times like those Scooby, my butt-o-meter says the car has a lot of potential at my currently low boost of 17 psi, can't wait to pick away at the little bugs and slowly turn her up.
If you're using Erics chip, slide down to the bottom of his instructions for aggressive mode for a better launch.

mblum

Garrett actually made a .63 and .82 in 3 bolt.there is not .83 to my knowledge
Any .82 series will be bigger than the .63 even the pte .63.

I was curious about this. I looked at the turbo it's self and found a picture of it before I put it back on. It really looks like a ".83" unless I'm mistaking the 6 for a 8. I went out to the car again with a flashlight and it sure does look like an 8.

Maybe I will just leave it alone until I get the trans rebuilt and the new converter in and see how it feels then. Maybe I do indeed have a .63 housing.........

turbo 2.jpg

Mr.Spool

I was curious about this. I looked at the turbo it's self and found a picture of it before I put it back on. It really looks like a ".83" unless I'm mistaking the 6 for a 8. I went out to the car again with a flashlight and it sure does look like an 8.

Maybe I will just leave it alone until I get the trans rebuilt and the new converter in and see how it feels then. Maybe I do indeed have a .63 housing.........

View attachment 371236
I think it's a. 82