Garage Lighting?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
My garage is a standard residential garage with 8' ceiling. There are 2 incandescent bulb fixtures on the ceiling. I'm planning on replacing those fixtures with 48" fluorescent fixtures.

Are there any other lighting fixtures I should consider? LED maybe?

Thanks.

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Are there any other lighting fixtures I should consider? LED maybe?
LEDS all the way!
I have 6- 8'x 2 bulb units in a 30 x 30 12' ceilings.
Get the bulbs with the 2 rows of LEDS that are angled. You can aim them towards the walls, and get very good coverage.
SUPER CHEAP on the bag!
I dropped the ballasts out, and wired the fixtures for direct power. Easy to do.
Something like these:
Get the center support clips so they don't sag.
I can shoot you a pic w/ my fone, if you'll send me your #.

We also just completed my bud's shop with the same lites!

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
LEDS all the way!
Get the bulbs with the 2 rows of LEDS that are angled. You can aim them towards the walls, and get very good coverage.
SUPER CHEAP on the bag!
I dropped the ballasts out, and wired the fixtures for direct power. Easy to do.
Something like these:

Those look nice! Thanks.

My garage is small @ 21.5'W x 23'L w/8' ceiling.

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
For smaller garages I like these.

Replace the light sockets with duplex receptacles (regular two hole outlets).
You can run one light forward at each location to light up a work bench and run the others (linkable, up to 8) towards the overhead door.
They can be hung by a chain or screwed through the back directly to the ceiling (make your own holes).
They have a 5’ cord for easy placement and a pull chain if not switched.

dynoman

LED 's all the way . I used ones from Lowes . I believe they were about $45 each , but boy they are bright .
Garage is 30'x30'

Attachments

• 20210413_182613_resize_88.jpg
    20210413_182613_resize_88.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88

KC87

I got one similar to this at Ollie's a while back for $15. 6000 lumen and was amazed.
Going to get one for the other side and a shade so the window won't bother the neighbor 70 yards away.

Hunter Dog

Agree LED is the way to go. We put them in our garage ourselves with just a bit of help from an electrician friend. The lights are cooler and provide better lighting than anything else. Paint scratches and blemishes seen in the garage are often not visible in the sunlight so your garage lighting can be your key to making your show car look even better than ever.

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
+1. LEDs for the win. I've switched most of my garage/barn lighting to those as well.
Also they work fine if it ever gets cold in the garage (especially vs fluorescent)
You can find everything from those screw-in "deformable" units to $20 Harbor Freight 4-ft lights, on up big $$ types and many in-between. Pick your poison.
Good luck.

ttypewhite

I bought some led pot lights and put them in mine. Comes with its own power supply and remote. It has multiple settings for cold or warm lighting along with a dimmer switch. Works great when coming home late or leaving work early in the morning to turn the lights on before pulling up or leaving while your in the car. Great safety feature for the wife or my daughters when they come home after dark and they can drive into the garage close the door and unload their car and walk into the house.

IMG_20181023_1834478.jpg

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
LEDS all the way!
SUPER CHEAP on the bag!
Something like these:

A large box arrived today. I plugged in two & flipped the switch. Even with purposely looking away, I was still blinded. I CAN'T SEE!!!
Thanks Chuck.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I bought some led pot lights and put them in mine. Comes with its own power supply and remote. It has multiple settings for cold or warm lighting along with a dimmer switch. Works great when coming home late or leaving work early in the morning to turn the lights on before pulling up or leaving while your in the car. Great safety feature for the wife or my daughters when they come home after dark and they can drive into the garage close the door and unload their car and walk into the house.

Very clean installation. I now understand how a dimmer would be helpful.

dynoman

Not all LEDs can be used on a dimmer , they will usually be marked " dimmable " if they can .

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Well...

Aint nuttin' easy. Laid the lights out on the floor in a few configurations. Nothing symmetrical works with the cords provided & the power sources available. Up into the attic I go! Was trying to avoid that after having new insulation blown in a while back.

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Costco FEIT 2 lamb LED shop lights in the green box go on sale for like 18 bucks each and work great, comes with hanging chains and hardware and are linkable!

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I have 6 out of 10 mounted to the ceiling so far. The garage door opener, tracks & attic access hatch conspired against my efforts for any type of symmetrical lay-out. What a difference though. The 5000K light is much more pleasant to my eye than incandescent.

KC87